Re: [new_distillers] Re: water seal & sheet copper

  • dearknarl
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3 3:00 PM
      Thanks Rob, but I can't find anything on "triple layer collection" or
      "triple layer" or "doobry" in the archives. Could you point me to those
      earlier posts?
      Re the pressure cooker: I might end up going that way, or something
      similar. I just thought I'd like to try my hand at making something from
      copper, but if I can't seal it easily, then stuff it. =)
      Cheers,
      knarl

      On 8/3/05, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

      > On the matter of the water seal, quite alot of
      > essential oils need to be steam distilled, so a water
      > seal on the boiler wouldn't be for very long! You
      > might get away with an oil seal but only if you have
      > no pressure (ie no reflux packing). But since you
      > intend to make a simple "alembic" or pot-still that
      > shouldn't be a problem (depending on construction of
      > condenser: a small diameter coil-in-bucket might
      > concievably fill with condensate). Why not use an old
      > fashioned pressure cooker. Alternatively, if you
      > intend to still off from fresh vegetation, you might
      > actually need more volume than you ask for in the
      > boiler. Also see earlier posts on the triple layer
      > collection doobry.
      > Rob.
      >

      > --- Dean Thomas <deanlil@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Or try a radiator repair place, I got an of cut at a
      > > place that use to
      > > repair radiators should be a good place to start.
      > >
      > > Dean.

      > > 3L boiler) out of
      > > >>

      > > >copper

      > > can't find a
      > > >>

      > > >source of

      > > in Australia?
      > > sit the lid in as
      > > >>

      > > >a seal.

      > > >G'day
      > > > You can try Reece Plumbing supplies at
      > > http://www.reece.com.au , I
      > > >did ask if they had copper sheet and yes, they can
      > > get it but don't
      > > >carry it as a stock item. Oh, one more thing, take
      > > your bank manager
      > > >with you as they only sell by the whole sheet 1200
      > > X 2400mm.
      > > >
      > > >Rotsa ruck cookie boy.

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3 11:56 PM