Re: [new_distillers] Re: water seal & sheet copper

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
      On the matter of the water seal, quite alot of
      essential oils need to be steam distilled, so a water
      seal on the boiler wouldn't be for very long! You
      might get away with an oil seal but only if you have
      no pressure (ie no reflux packing). But since you
      intend to make a simple "alembic" or pot-still that
      shouldn't be a problem (depending on construction of
      condenser: a small diameter coil-in-bucket might
      concievably fill with condensate). Why not use an old
      fashioned pressure cooker. Alternatively, if you
      intend to still off from fresh vegetation, you might
      actually need more volume than you ask for in the
      boiler. Also see earlier posts on the triple layer
      collection doobry.
      Rob.

      --- Dean Thomas <deanlil@...> wrote:

      > Or try a radiator repair place, I got an of cut at a
      > place that use to
      > repair radiators should be a good place to start.
      >
      > Dean.
      >
      > whynda wrote:
      >
      > >>Gday guys,
      > >> Was thinking of building a mini pot still (2 or
      > 3L boiler) out of
      > >>

      > >copper
      > >

      > >>for running experiments and making essences, but I
      > can't find a
      > >>

      > >source of
      > >

      > >>sheet copper. Anyone have any clues for finding it
      > in Australia?
      > >> Also, I was thinking of using a water channel to
      > sit the lid in as
      > >>

      > >a seal.
      > >

      > >>Would that cause any problems?
      > >> Cheers,
      > >>knarl.
      > >>

      > >G'day
      > > You can try Reece Plumbing supplies at
      > http://www.reece.com.au , I
      > >did ask if they had copper sheet and yes, they can
      > get it but don't
      > >carry it as a stock item. Oh, one more thing, take
      > your bank manager
      > >with you as they only sell by the whole sheet 1200
      > X 2400mm.
      > >
      > >Rotsa ruck cookie boy.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • dearknarl
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
        Thanks Rob, but I can't find anything on "triple layer collection" or
        "triple layer" or "doobry" in the archives. Could you point me to those
        earlier posts?
        Re the pressure cooker: I might end up going that way, or something
        similar. I just thought I'd like to try my hand at making something from
        copper, but if I can't seal it easily, then stuff it. =)
        Cheers,
        knarl

        On 8/3/05, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

        > On the matter of the water seal, quite alot of
        > essential oils need to be steam distilled, so a water
        > seal on the boiler wouldn't be for very long! You
        > might get away with an oil seal but only if you have
        > no pressure (ie no reflux packing). But since you
        > intend to make a simple "alembic" or pot-still that
        > shouldn't be a problem (depending on construction of
        > condenser: a small diameter coil-in-bucket might
        > concievably fill with condensate). Why not use an old
        > fashioned pressure cooker. Alternatively, if you
        > intend to still off from fresh vegetation, you might
        > actually need more volume than you ask for in the
        > boiler. Also see earlier posts on the triple layer
        > collection doobry.
        > Rob.
        >

        > --- Dean Thomas <deanlil@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Or try a radiator repair place, I got an of cut at a
        > > place that use to
        > > repair radiators should be a good place to start.
        > >
        > > Dean.

        > > 3L boiler) out of
        > > >>

        > > >copper

        > > can't find a
        > > >>

        > > >source of

        > > in Australia?
        > > sit the lid in as
        > > >>

        > > >a seal.

        > > >G'day
        > > > You can try Reece Plumbing supplies at
        > > http://www.reece.com.au , I
        > > >did ask if they had copper sheet and yes, they can
        > > get it but don't
        > > >carry it as a stock item. Oh, one more thing, take
        > > your bank manager
        > > >with you as they only sell by the whole sheet 1200
        > > X 2400mm.
        > > >
        > > >Rotsa ruck cookie boy.

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005