water seal & sheet copper

  • dearknarl
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2 9:57 PM
      Gday guys,
      Was thinking of building a mini pot still (2 or 3L boiler) out of copper
      for running experiments and making essences, but I can't find a source of
      sheet copper. Anyone have any clues for finding it in Australia?
      Also, I was thinking of using a water channel to sit the lid in as a seal.
      Would that cause any problems?
      Cheers,
      knarl.

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2 10:27 PM
        Try an old hot water tank + angle grinder ;)
        Rob.

        --- dearknarl <dearknarl@...> wrote:

        > Gday guys,
        > Was thinking of building a mini pot still (2 or 3L
        > boiler) out of copper
        > for running experiments and making essences, but I
        > can't find a source of
        > sheet copper. Anyone have any clues for finding it
        > in Australia?
        > Also, I was thinking of using a water channel to
        > sit the lid in as a seal.
        > Would that cause any problems?
        > Cheers,
        > knarl.

        > removed]

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • whynda
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3 12:22 AM
          > Gday guys,
          > Was thinking of building a mini pot still (2 or 3L boiler) out of
          copper
          > for running experiments and making essences, but I can't find a
          source of
          > sheet copper. Anyone have any clues for finding it in Australia?
          > Also, I was thinking of using a water channel to sit the lid in as
          a seal.
          > Would that cause any problems?
          > Cheers,
          > knarl.

          G'day
          You can try Reece Plumbing supplies at http://www.reece.com.au , I
          did ask if they had copper sheet and yes, they can get it but don't
          carry it as a stock item. Oh, one more thing, take your bank manager
          with you as they only sell by the whole sheet 1200 X 2400mm.

          Rotsa ruck cookie boy.
        • Dean Thomas
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3 12:54 AM
            Or try a radiator repair place, I got an of cut at a place that use to
            repair radiators should be a good place to start.

            Dean.

            whynda wrote:

            >>Gday guys,
            >> Was thinking of building a mini pot still (2 or 3L boiler) out of
            >>

            >copper
            >

            >>for running experiments and making essences, but I can't find a
            >>

            >source of
            >

            >>sheet copper. Anyone have any clues for finding it in Australia?
            >> Also, I was thinking of using a water channel to sit the lid in as
            >>

            >a seal.
            >

            >>Would that cause any problems?
            >> Cheers,
            >>knarl.
            >>

            >G'day
            > You can try Reece Plumbing supplies at http://www.reece.com.au , I
            >did ask if they had copper sheet and yes, they can get it but don't
            >carry it as a stock item. Oh, one more thing, take your bank manager
            >with you as they only sell by the whole sheet 1200 X 2400mm.
            >
            >Rotsa ruck cookie boy.

          • Robert Thomas
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3 5:45 AM
              On the matter of the water seal, quite alot of
              essential oils need to be steam distilled, so a water
              seal on the boiler wouldn't be for very long! You
              might get away with an oil seal but only if you have
              no pressure (ie no reflux packing). But since you
              intend to make a simple "alembic" or pot-still that
              shouldn't be a problem (depending on construction of
              condenser: a small diameter coil-in-bucket might
              concievably fill with condensate). Why not use an old
              fashioned pressure cooker. Alternatively, if you
              intend to still off from fresh vegetation, you might
              actually need more volume than you ask for in the
              boiler. Also see earlier posts on the triple layer
              collection doobry.
              Rob.

              --- Dean Thomas <deanlil@...> wrote:

              > Or try a radiator repair place, I got an of cut at a
              > place that use to
              > repair radiators should be a good place to start.
              >
              > Dean.
              >
              > whynda wrote:
              >
              > >>Gday guys,
              > >> Was thinking of building a mini pot still (2 or
              > 3L boiler) out of
              > >>

              > >copper
              > >

              > >>for running experiments and making essences, but I
              > can't find a
              > >>

              > >source of
              > >

              > >>sheet copper. Anyone have any clues for finding it
              > in Australia?
              > >> Also, I was thinking of using a water channel to
              > sit the lid in as
              > >>

              > >a seal.
              > >

              > >>Would that cause any problems?
              > >> Cheers,
              > >>knarl.
              > >>

              > >G'day
              > > You can try Reece Plumbing supplies at
              > http://www.reece.com.au , I
              > >did ask if they had copper sheet and yes, they can
              > get it but don't
              > >carry it as a stock item. Oh, one more thing, take
              > your bank manager
              > >with you as they only sell by the whole sheet 1200
              > X 2400mm.
              > >
              > >Rotsa ruck cookie boy.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • dearknarl
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3 3:00 PM
                Thanks Rob, but I can't find anything on "triple layer collection" or
                "triple layer" or "doobry" in the archives. Could you point me to those
                earlier posts?
                Re the pressure cooker: I might end up going that way, or something
                similar. I just thought I'd like to try my hand at making something from
                copper, but if I can't seal it easily, then stuff it. =)
                Cheers,
                knarl

                On 8/3/05, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

                > On the matter of the water seal, quite alot of
                > essential oils need to be steam distilled, so a water
                > seal on the boiler wouldn't be for very long! You
                > might get away with an oil seal but only if you have
                > no pressure (ie no reflux packing). But since you
                > intend to make a simple "alembic" or pot-still that
                > shouldn't be a problem (depending on construction of
                > condenser: a small diameter coil-in-bucket might
                > concievably fill with condensate). Why not use an old
                > fashioned pressure cooker. Alternatively, if you
                > intend to still off from fresh vegetation, you might
                > actually need more volume than you ask for in the
                > boiler. Also see earlier posts on the triple layer
                > collection doobry.
                > Rob.
                >

                > --- Dean Thomas <deanlil@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Or try a radiator repair place, I got an of cut at a
                > > place that use to
                > > repair radiators should be a good place to start.
                > >
                > > Dean.

                > > 3L boiler) out of
                > > >>

                > > >copper

                > > can't find a
                > > >>

                > > >source of

                > > in Australia?
                > > sit the lid in as
                > > >>

                > > >a seal.

                > > >G'day
                > > > You can try Reece Plumbing supplies at
                > > http://www.reece.com.au , I
                > > >did ask if they had copper sheet and yes, they can
                > > get it but don't
                > > >carry it as a stock item. Oh, one more thing, take
                > > your bank manager
                > > >with you as they only sell by the whole sheet 1200
                > > X 2400mm.
                > > >
                > > >Rotsa ruck cookie boy.

              • Robert Thomas
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 3 11:56 PM