Re: [new_distillers] My ideas for a sttill/boiler, what do you think?

  • Dean Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hi Matt,
      I am also in the Sydney area I use a customised beer keg it works great.
      I'll leave it up to you to find one but I have seen them at garage sales
      and I know they can be had behind your local pub some might even sell
      one to you :)
      If you are willing to customise it or pay someone to do it it is an
      excellent option.

      Matt Hunter wrote:

      >Hello all
      >Just after a quick sanity check and some advice on where to aquire a few bits and pieces. I live in Sydney Australia & have been using the plastic still as a test drive into the world of Distillation for some time. But times change :)
      >
      >I intend to get a bit more serious and build a still as follows.
      >Use a 2" dia copper column 120cm long to go into a nixon stone type offset head with needle valve and adequate cooling (something like "Matt's offset head still")
      >
      >Im having trouble deciding/finding a boiler with internal element of some sort.
      >I like the idea of Stainless Steel and was thinking about a 25lt fermenter available from brew shops with the 1380w element.
      >But if I can find an urn or some sort of stainless drum up to 40lt suitable then I would go for it. Anyone got any ideas or want to share their experiances with what would work best and/or where you can aquire it?
      >
      >Thanks in advance.
      >Matt

    • Jan Ooms
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
        Hi Matt,
        Check out Rheem in your city. Ik know that here in Brisbane they make several sizes up to 200 plus litres, all in 304 and/or 316 stainless.
        They might also have some over runs from a special order, who knows.
        Regards,
        Jan.
[...]

        Organizational culture Distillers