Re: Sprouting corn.......and enemies of Yeast?

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "knikk9" <blueraven@a...>
      wrote:
      > No they put in between the sacks and under leaves or wood chips to
      > keep it warm and sprinkled water on it to keep it moist.
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cary Rhodes"
      <rhodeseng@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > I haven't had any good results from trying to sprout corn for
      malt.

      > > I know the old timers used to put corn in a burlap bag and put
      it in a
      > > creek for several days.
      > >
      > > something about the flowing water.
      > >
      > > Then take it out and spread on screen wire for sprouting.
      > >
      > > I haven't tried this method though.
      > >
      > > cary r

      Most of the problem is the type of corn you are trying to sprout.
      The majority of grains (corn or otherwise) grown today are hybrid,
      which produces seed that is mostly sterile. Here's a couple of
      excerpts that may interest you...

      About 95 percent of our corn acreage now is planted to hybrid corn.
      We produce at least 20 percent more corn on 25 percent fewer acres
      than in 1930, when seed of hybrid corn became available in quantity
      to American farmers.
      (source: http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/timeline/corn.htm)

      There are two sorts of seed available, open pollinated and hybrid.
      Hybrid seed is created by cross pollinating two or more varieties to
      create a more vigorous plant. These plants are, more often than not,
      sterile, which means that seed cannot be saved from them. Sometimes
      the seed is viable, but very weak. Hybrid seed itself is weaker than
      open pollinated, illustrated by its poorer germination rate.
      (source: http://tinyurl.com/clfpp)

      ...The moral of the story is simple: if you want to sprout grains,
      buy certified seed-grain from the seed merchants. Expensive, but
      guaranteed to sprout, and you only need enough sprouted seed grain
      to convert the rest of the hybrid grain, usually about 20 - 25% of
      total weight.

    • donald holcombe
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
        Seed corn in my area is treated with poison be Careful.! ASK before you buy.

        Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "knikk9" <blueraven@a...>
        wrote:
        > No they put in between the sacks and under leaves or wood chips to
        > keep it warm and sprinkled water on it to keep it moist.
        >

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cary Rhodes"
        <rhodeseng@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > I haven't had any good results from trying to sprout corn for
        malt.

        > > I know the old timers used to put corn in a burlap bag and put
        it in a
        > > creek for several days.
        > >
        > > something about the flowing water.
        > >
        > > Then take it out and spread on screen wire for sprouting.
        > >
        > > I haven't tried this method though.
        > >
        > > cary r

        Most of the problem is the type of corn you are trying to sprout.
        The majority of grains (corn or otherwise) grown today are hybrid,
        which produces seed that is mostly sterile. Here's a couple of
        excerpts that may interest you...

        About 95 percent of our corn acreage now is planted to hybrid corn.
        We produce at least 20 percent more corn on 25 percent fewer acres
        than in 1930, when seed of hybrid corn became available in quantity
        to American farmers.
        (source: http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/timeline/corn.htm)

        There are two sorts of seed available, open pollinated and hybrid.
        Hybrid seed is created by cross pollinating two or more varieties to
        create a more vigorous plant. These plants are, more often than not,
        sterile, which means that seed cannot be saved from them. Sometimes
        the seed is viable, but very weak. Hybrid seed itself is weaker than
        open pollinated, illustrated by its poorer germination rate.
        (source: http://tinyurl.com/clfpp)

        ...The moral of the story is simple: if you want to sprout grains,
        buy certified seed-grain from the seed merchants. Expensive, but
        guaranteed to sprout, and you only need enough sprouted seed grain
        to convert the rest of the hybrid grain, usually about 20 - 25% of
        total weight.

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
          Too right Donald.
          Why not try you local brewery? It's worked for me in
          the past.
          Rob.

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • francis_heath
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2005
            Not true. Hybrid corn is not sterile? I feed lots of corn to cattle
            that is all hybred corn and I can assure you that nearly all that gets
            spilled on the ground sprouts and grows. When I have feed bunks set
            out in the winter time on ground where I grow corn in the summer, the
            volenteer corn is a real problem.
            I have also planted corn right out of the bin when I ran out of seed
            corn to finish up my silage corn acres. Got a real good stand of corn
            from the bin corn. What you get is no longer the hybred but it does
            in fact grow quite well.
            Francis