My ideas for a sttill/boiler, what do you think?

  • Matt Hunter
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31 9:03 PM
      Hello all
      Just after a quick sanity check and some advice on where to aquire a few bits and pieces. I live in Sydney Australia & have been using the plastic still as a test drive into the world of Distillation for some time. But times change :)

      I intend to get a bit more serious and build a still as follows.
      Use a 2" dia copper column 120cm long to go into a nixon stone type offset head with needle valve and adequate cooling (something like "Matt's offset head still")

      Im having trouble deciding/finding a boiler with internal element of some sort.
      I like the idea of Stainless Steel and was thinking about a 25lt fermenter available from brew shops with the 1380w element.
      But if I can find an urn or some sort of stainless drum up to 40lt suitable then I would go for it. Anyone got any ideas or want to share their experiances with what would work best and/or where you can aquire it?

      Thanks in advance.
      Matt

    • Dean Thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
        Hi Matt,
        I am also in the Sydney area I use a customised beer keg it works great.
        I'll leave it up to you to find one but I have seen them at garage sales
        and I know they can be had behind your local pub some might even sell
        one to you :)
        If you are willing to customise it or pay someone to do it it is an
        excellent option.

        Matt Hunter wrote:

        >Hello all
        >Just after a quick sanity check and some advice on where to aquire a few bits and pieces. I live in Sydney Australia & have been using the plastic still as a test drive into the world of Distillation for some time. But times change :)
        >
        >I intend to get a bit more serious and build a still as follows.
        >Use a 2" dia copper column 120cm long to go into a nixon stone type offset head with needle valve and adequate cooling (something like "Matt's offset head still")
        >
        >Im having trouble deciding/finding a boiler with internal element of some sort.
        >I like the idea of Stainless Steel and was thinking about a 25lt fermenter available from brew shops with the 1380w element.
        >But if I can find an urn or some sort of stainless drum up to 40lt suitable then I would go for it. Anyone got any ideas or want to share their experiances with what would work best and/or where you can aquire it?
        >
        >Thanks in advance.
        >Matt

      • Jan Ooms
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
          Hi Matt,
          Check out Rheem in your city. Ik know that here in Brisbane they make several sizes up to 200 plus litres, all in 304 and/or 316 stainless.
          They might also have some over runs from a special order, who knows.
          Regards,
          Jan.
[...]

          Organizational culture Distillers