Sprouting corn.......and enemies of Yeast?

  • hk538
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30, 2005
      Anyone have any good, easier techniques of sprouting corn other than
      the horse turd technique?...Say about 10 lbs worth of untreated corn,
      purely organic for "growing" purposes of course.

      Also, I've read a lot of info on what yeast likes, but what are the
      enemies of yeast...Heat being one I know, but what about any others?

      'preciate it

      Greg
    • Cary Rhodes
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 30, 2005
        I haven't had any good results from trying to sprout corn for malt.

        I know the old timers used to put corn in a burlap bag and put it in a
        creek for several days.

        something about the flowing water.

        Then take it out and spread on screen wire for sprouting.

        I haven't tried this method though.

        cary r

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hk538" <hk538@y...> wrote:
        > Anyone have any good, easier techniques of sprouting corn other than
        > the horse turd technique?...Say about 10 lbs worth of untreated
        corn,
        > purely organic for "growing" purposes of course.
        >
        > Also, I've read a lot of info on what yeast likes, but what are the
        > enemies of yeast...Heat being one I know, but what about any others?
        >
        > 'preciate it
        >
        > Greg
      • Mac McCaskie
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 2005
          Yeast do not like preservatives, like sulphates or sorbates. Also is
          likes a constant temperature. Cultured wine yeast can tolerate
          metabisulphates to about 50 ppm, I don't know if that includes
          distillers or bread yeast though. If you use molassas, get the
          un-sulpherated kind.

          mac

          hk538 wrote:
          > Anyone have any good, easier techniques of sprouting corn other than
          > the horse turd technique?...Say about 10 lbs worth of untreated corn,
          > purely organic for "growing" purposes of course.
          >
          > Also, I've read a lot of info on what yeast likes, but what are the
          > enemies of yeast...Heat being one I know, but what about any others?
          >
          > 'preciate it
          >
          > Greg

        • knikk9
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 31, 2005
            No they put in between the sacks and under leaves or wood chips to
            keep it warm and sprinkled water on it to keep it moist.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cary Rhodes" <rhodeseng@y...>

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "knikk9" <blueraven@a...>
              wrote:
              > No they put in between the sacks and under leaves or wood chips to
              > keep it warm and sprinkled water on it to keep it moist.
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cary Rhodes"
              <rhodeseng@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > I haven't had any good results from trying to sprout corn for
              malt.

              > > I know the old timers used to put corn in a burlap bag and put
              it in a
              > > creek for several days.
              > >
              > > something about the flowing water.
              > >
              > > Then take it out and spread on screen wire for sprouting.
              > >
              > > I haven't tried this method though.
              > >
              > > cary r

              Most of the problem is the type of corn you are trying to sprout.
              The majority of grains (corn or otherwise) grown today are hybrid,
              which produces seed that is mostly sterile. Here's a couple of
              excerpts that may interest you...

              About 95 percent of our corn acreage now is planted to hybrid corn.
              We produce at least 20 percent more corn on 25 percent fewer acres
              than in 1930, when seed of hybrid corn became available in quantity
              to American farmers.
              (source: http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/timeline/corn.htm)

              There are two sorts of seed available, open pollinated and hybrid.
              Hybrid seed is created by cross pollinating two or more varieties to
              create a more vigorous plant. These plants are, more often than not,
              sterile, which means that seed cannot be saved from them. Sometimes
              the seed is viable, but very weak. Hybrid seed itself is weaker than
              open pollinated, illustrated by its poorer germination rate.
              (source: http://tinyurl.com/clfpp)

              ...The moral of the story is simple: if you want to sprout grains,
              buy certified seed-grain from the seed merchants. Expensive, but
              guaranteed to sprout, and you only need enough sprouted seed grain
              to convert the rest of the hybrid grain, usually about 20 - 25% of
              total weight.

            • donald holcombe
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
                Seed corn in my area is treated with poison be Careful.! ASK before you buy.

                Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "knikk9" <blueraven@a...>
                wrote:
                > No they put in between the sacks and under leaves or wood chips to
                > keep it warm and sprinkled water on it to keep it moist.
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cary Rhodes"
                <rhodeseng@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > I haven't had any good results from trying to sprout corn for
                malt.

                > > I know the old timers used to put corn in a burlap bag and put
                it in a
                > > creek for several days.
                > >
                > > something about the flowing water.
                > >
                > > Then take it out and spread on screen wire for sprouting.
                > >
                > > I haven't tried this method though.
                > >
                > > cary r

                Most of the problem is the type of corn you are trying to sprout.
                The majority of grains (corn or otherwise) grown today are hybrid,
                which produces seed that is mostly sterile. Here's a couple of
                excerpts that may interest you...

                About 95 percent of our corn acreage now is planted to hybrid corn.
                We produce at least 20 percent more corn on 25 percent fewer acres
                than in 1930, when seed of hybrid corn became available in quantity
                to American farmers.
                (source: http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/timeline/corn.htm)

                There are two sorts of seed available, open pollinated and hybrid.
                Hybrid seed is created by cross pollinating two or more varieties to
                create a more vigorous plant. These plants are, more often than not,
                sterile, which means that seed cannot be saved from them. Sometimes
                the seed is viable, but very weak. Hybrid seed itself is weaker than
                open pollinated, illustrated by its poorer germination rate.
                (source: http://tinyurl.com/clfpp)

                ...The moral of the story is simple: if you want to sprout grains,
                buy certified seed-grain from the seed merchants. Expensive, but
                guaranteed to sprout, and you only need enough sprouted seed grain
                to convert the rest of the hybrid grain, usually about 20 - 25% of
                total weight.

              • Robert Thomas
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
                  Too right Donald.
                  Why not try you local brewery? It's worked for me in
                  the past.
                  Rob.

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • francis_heath
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 6, 2005
                    Not true. Hybrid corn is not sterile? I feed lots of corn to cattle
                    that is all hybred corn and I can assure you that nearly all that gets
                    spilled on the ground sprouts and grows. When I have feed bunks set
                    out in the winter time on ground where I grow corn in the summer, the
                    volenteer corn is a real problem.
                    I have also planted corn right out of the bin when I ran out of seed
                    corn to finish up my silage corn acres. Got a real good stand of corn
                    from the bin corn. What you get is no longer the hybred but it does
                    in fact grow quite well.
                    Francis