feedback on still design

  • bjm267
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2005
      hello all.

      a question you all no doubt have heard before,

      i have all the components required to build my first still, i have
      opted for a reflux design, but am hearing conflicting opinions on:
      1. flow direction (ie: input, lower column, upper column, condeser,
      discharge)
      2: placement of cooling tubes in column, i have heard it is
      pointless having cooling tubes in the lower portion of the column,
      should i run two cooling tubes through the upper portion of the
      column, or two up the top and one down the bottom
      3: column packing, im probably going to opt with pot scrubbers as
      the seem the most common used

      im wishing to get the optimum design for what i have to work with,

      all and any feedback will be appreciciated, concidered, and
      incorperated into my design

      many reguards,
      Brendan Moon.
    • Brendan Keith
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2005
        My opinion is that a Bokakob/inline /EL/mini-still is the easiest to build
        and incorporates all of the needed functions for great performance in a
        compact package. I've built 2 so far )after building a slightly more
        complicated offset type) and they're dead easy.

        Would I steer you wrong?

        --
        Brendan Keith
        bkeith@...

      • closetdistiller
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 19, 2005
          Yep, I'd drop the idea of cooling tubes running through the column
          of your still (you don't need them and they disrupt the separation
          that your trying to establish in the column). You don't want ANY
          cooling tubes running through the column. Plus it makes it hard to
          control the amount of reflux and cooling water flow with out
          disrupting one or the other. If you make a double coiled condenser
          (just wrapped around a broomstick so you end up with two coils, one
          over the other-look for pics on here) out of 5-6m of 1/4" copper you
          will easiliy be able to cool/condense all that vapour without the
          need for additional cooling pipes through the column.

          The inline still as outlined in the post above is an absolute
          winner. This is the still you want to build. It's easy (actually it
          doesn't come much easier than this) and cheap to build and will give
          you excellent results, better than what you could obtain with your
          current planned design.

          I have an offset head still, but in hind sight-if I'd known about
          the inline-or had a bit more of a think about it before I built
          mine, I would have most definitely gone with the inline design.
          There are building instructions in the photos or files section of
          the New Distiller and Distillers groups.

          Follow this design and you can't go wrong.

          Onwards and upwards. Cheers, CD
        • Mark
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 20, 2005
            In my vain attempt to improve my distillation process, I've spent 3
            years and built over 18 different types of columns (counting all
            variations).

            I'm back where I started. One 19gal primary still (Alex's SR
            design) and one 7gal secondary still (N/S design).