Rum Flavor

  • redneckmothers
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2005
      I'm hoping that someone out there with a little more experience will
      be able to help me out on this...
      I've made several batches of rum recently, but I continue to get too
      strong of a 'bitter' finish at the end (tastes as though it may be
      coming from the molasses, I would guess). I normally make my 'beer'
      with 4kg sugar, 4kg blackstrap molasses, 25L water and one packe of
      champagne yeast...gives about 12% finished product. After being
      distilled, I let it rest on some toasted oak chips for a few days and
      then mix in a little brown sugar prior to filtering & cutting. The
      stuff tastes great except for when it's mixed with sodas - then the
      bitter finish really dominates...Any ideas on how I might get rid of
      this aftertaste? Would a second distillation be helpful?
      Thanks in advance for any help...
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "redneckmothers"
        <flyplaya420@y...> wrote:
        > I'm hoping that someone out there with a little more experience will
        > be able to help me out on this...
        > I've made several batches of rum recently, but I continue to get too
        > strong of a 'bitter' finish at the end (tastes as though it may be
        > coming from the molasses, I would guess). I normally make my 'beer'
        > with 4kg sugar, 4kg blackstrap molasses, 25L water and one packe of
        > champagne yeast...gives about 12% finished product. After being
        > distilled, I let it rest on some toasted oak chips for a few days
        and
        > then mix in a little brown sugar prior to filtering & cutting. The
        > stuff tastes great except for when it's mixed with sodas - then the
        > bitter finish really dominates...Any ideas on how I might get rid of
        > this aftertaste? Would a second distillation be helpful?
        > Thanks in advance for any help...

        Better quality in the molasses is the key. Blackstrap contains a high
        percentage of insolubles. Prepare the molasses by diluting with
        boiling water, 2 volumes of water to 1 volume of molasses. Mix it up
        and cover. Let it stand for 3 or 4 hours. This will drop out the
        sludge. Pour off the diluted liquid into your fermenter. Throw away
        the sludge that remains. Now proceed with your fermenter. Add sugar,
        the balance of your water (add a little more to allow for what you
        lost with the sludge). Get the temp to ~27°C then pitch the yeast.