Re: time to autolyse

  • popwahtosh
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, dearknarl <dearknarl@g...> wrote:
      > Gday Guys,
      >
      > How long can I leave an alcotech 48, 8kg wash, without racking,
      before the
      > yeast autolyse and leave off flavours? I'm going to make a wash up,
      but
      > won't get around to distilling it for about a month, maybe 5 weeks.
      Will
      > that cause off flavours? I'll set the temp at about 22 deg C for the
      whole
      > time.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > knarl.
    • Roderick Holmes
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2005
        The guys at brewhaus suggested that it be run within the month. He said if it was going to be longer, just siphon off the wash off the yeast (rack) into another sterilized fermentation vessel and that it would be fine for much longer.

        Warm regards on ice,
        Roderick

        dearknarl <dearknarl@...> wrote:
        Gday Guys,

        How long can I leave an alcotech 48, 8kg wash, without racking, before the
        yeast autolyse and leave off flavours? I'm going to make a wash up, but
        won't get around to distilling it for about a month, maybe 5 weeks. Will
        that cause off flavours? I'll set the temp at about 22 deg C for the whole
        time.

        Cheers,
        knarl.

        Food and drink Home distilling Culture Organizational culture Distillers