Methanol Distillation

  • flyinggoat37
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2005
      Hi,

      I just completed my first attempt at distilling methanol from
      biodiesel waste (glycerol). I used a "world class distillation"
      apparatus with a valved reflux condenser (but no packing or
      refluxing this time).

      The first 3 gallons of distillate came off at a rate of around 1
      gallon per hour at a temperature of 149F (the BP of methanol). The
      last gallon or so came off at around 160 or 170F,I don't remember.
      All of the distillate had a wood-smoke smell and was yellowish in
      color, instead of being sweet-smelling and clear.

      My questions are:

      Is the higher temp distillate methanol combined with water?

      Will just redistilling this product take the color out and remove
      the smell?

      Should I reflux it to purify it?

      Thank you all for this site!

      Bill
    • don1lia2joe3
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2005
        I assume you let it seperate some before trying to distill it!
        now that it has been through your "pot" still setup let it sit for a
        day and see if it seperates...It sounds like you still had to much
        glycerine in your alcohol.

        - In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flyinggoat37" <ehrenbeck@c...>
        wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I just completed my first attempt at distilling methanol from
        > biodiesel waste (glycerol). I used a "world class distillation"
        > apparatus with a valved reflux condenser (but no packing or
        > refluxing this time).
        >
        > The first 3 gallons of distillate came off at a rate of around 1
        > gallon per hour at a temperature of 149F (the BP of methanol).
        The
        > last gallon or so came off at around 160 or 170F,I don't
        remember.
        > All of the distillate had a wood-smoke smell and was yellowish in
        > color, instead of being sweet-smelling and clear.
        >
        > My questions are:
        >
        > Is the higher temp distillate methanol combined with water?
        >
        > Will just redistilling this product take the color out and remove
        > the smell?
        >
        > Should I reflux it to purify it?
        >
        > Thank you all for this site!
        >
        > Bill
      • flyinggoat37
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2005
          There really is no more separating possible before distilling. The
          glycerol IS the separated by-product of the biodiesel and has a BP
          of several hundred degrees F.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "don1lia2joe3"
          <donaldfranson@h...> wrote:
          > I assume you let it seperate some before trying to distill it!
          > now that it has been through your "pot" still setup let it sit for
          > day and see if it seperates...It sounds like you still had to much
          > glycerine in your alcohol.
          >
          > - In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flyinggoat37"
          <ehrenbeck@c...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I just completed my first attempt at distilling methanol from
          > > biodiesel waste (glycerol). I used a "world class distillation"
          > > apparatus with a valved reflux condenser (but no packing or
          > > refluxing this time).
          > >
          > > The first 3 gallons of distillate came off at a rate of around 1
          > > gallon per hour at a temperature of 149F (the BP of methanol).
          > The
          > > last gallon or so came off at around 160 or 170F,I don't
          > remember.
          > > All of the distillate had a wood-smoke smell and was yellowish
          in
          > > color, instead of being sweet-smelling and clear.
          > >
          > > My questions are:
          > >
          > > Is the higher temp distillate methanol combined with water?
          > >
          > > Will just redistilling this product take the color out and
          remove
          > > the smell?
          > >
          > > Should I reflux it to purify it?
          > >
          > > Thank you all for this site!
          > >
          > > Bill
        • don1lia2joe3
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2005
            I know that I have read somewhere how to seperate out the glycerine
            because the glycerine is more valuable than the alcohol or the
            biodiesel.

            You will not find it on this site, this site is for distilling
            alcohol for drinking, but good luck in your search.