time to autolyse

  • dearknarl
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2005
      Gday Guys,

      How long can I leave an alcotech 48, 8kg wash, without racking, before the
      yeast autolyse and leave off flavours? I'm going to make a wash up, but
      won't get around to distilling it for about a month, maybe 5 weeks. Will
      that cause off flavours? I'll set the temp at about 22 deg C for the whole
      time.

      Cheers,
      knarl.

    • waljaco
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2005
        Winemakers rack their young wine off the lees every 6 months.
        wal
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, dearknarl <dearknarl@g...> wrote:
        > Gday Guys,
        >
        > How long can I leave an alcotech 48, 8kg wash, without racking,
        before the
        > yeast autolyse and leave off flavours? I'm going to make a wash up, but
        > won't get around to distilling it for about a month, maybe 5 weeks.
        Will
        > that cause off flavours? I'll set the temp at about 22 deg C for the
        whole
        > time.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > knarl.

      • dearknarl
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2005
          So it wouldn't change much with a turbo? I'd say it'd be fine for a month or
          two though, by the sounds of that. Thanks.

          Cheers,
          knarl.

          On 7/3/05, waljaco <waljaco@...> wrote:

          > Winemakers rack their young wine off the lees every 6 months.
          > wal

        • popwahtosh
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2005
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, dearknarl <dearknarl@g...> wrote:
            > Gday Guys,
            >
            > How long can I leave an alcotech 48, 8kg wash, without racking,
            before the
            > yeast autolyse and leave off flavours? I'm going to make a wash up,
            but
            > won't get around to distilling it for about a month, maybe 5 weeks.
            Will
            > that cause off flavours? I'll set the temp at about 22 deg C for the
            whole
            > time.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > knarl.
          • Roderick Holmes
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2005
              The guys at brewhaus suggested that it be run within the month. He said if it was going to be longer, just siphon off the wash off the yeast (rack) into another sterilized fermentation vessel and that it would be fine for much longer.

              Warm regards on ice,
              Roderick

              dearknarl <dearknarl@...> wrote:
              Gday Guys,

              How long can I leave an alcotech 48, 8kg wash, without racking, before the
              yeast autolyse and leave off flavours? I'm going to make a wash up, but
              won't get around to distilling it for about a month, maybe 5 weeks. Will
              that cause off flavours? I'll set the temp at about 22 deg C for the whole
              time.

              Cheers,
              knarl.

              Food and drink Home distilling Culture Organizational culture Distillers