Re: slow ferment was weird happenings with mash

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pguy40" <pguy40@y...> wrote:
      > > More viable yeast cells per litre of mash in one than in the
      other.
      > > Common problem with pre-packaged turbos.
      >
      > Harry,
      >
      > I just made an all grain wheat mash (mashed last night pitched
      yeast
      > this AM) and upon adding yeast was disappointed in the lack of
      > activity. My sugar washes always bubbled vigorously, I can barely
      > detect any bubbling at all in this. I do think it's fermenting
      because
      > about half the grain has now risen to the surface and the room
      smells
      > like I'm baking bread.
      >
      > Could my packet of turbo be bad? Should I add another packet?
      Maybe
      > this minimal activity is normal?
      >
      > TIA
      > Peter

      Could be many things. Did you use sprouted wheat?, or barley?
      Wheat sometimes gives poor conversion.
      I assume you had everything else right such as...
      Iodine test for conversion.
      OSG recorded.
      pH between 4 and 5.
      Pitching temp ~25°C.

      If all that was right, then give it up to 24hrs. If the activity
      doesn't improve, repitch with fresh yeast. That's about all I can
      offer. Sven is the man to talk to on all-grain mashes. He may know
      some other angles.

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
        wrote:
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pguy40" <pguy40@y...>
        wrote:
        > > > More viable yeast cells per litre of mash in one than in the
        > other.
        > > > Common problem with pre-packaged turbos.
        > >
        > > Harry,
        > >
        > > I just made an all grain wheat mash (mashed last night pitched
        > yeast
        > > this AM) and upon adding yeast was disappointed in the lack of
        > > activity. My sugar washes always bubbled vigorously, I can
        barely
        > > detect any bubbling at all in this. I do think it's fermenting
        > because
        > > about half the grain has now risen to the surface and the room
        > smells
        > > like I'm baking bread.
        > >
        > > Could my packet of turbo be bad? Should I add another packet?
        > Maybe
        > > this minimal activity is normal?
        > >
        > > TIA
        > > Peter
        >

        > Could be many things. Did you use sprouted wheat?, or barley?
        > Wheat sometimes gives poor conversion.
        > I assume you had everything else right such as...
        > Iodine test for conversion.
        > OSG recorded.
        > pH between 4 and 5.
        > Pitching temp ~25°C.
        >
        > If all that was right, then give it up to 24hrs. If the activity
        > doesn't improve, repitch with fresh yeast. That's about all I can
        > offer. Sven is the man to talk to on all-grain mashes. He may
        know
        > some other angles.
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

        I've had a couple of wheat mashes stick on me when I deviate
        from "standard" beer making procedures. For me, safest way is to
        use at least 35% 6 row high enzyme barley, and hold conversion
        temperature for 3 hours with a mash out. I make a yeast starter, and
        aquarium pump in air for 12 hours minimum. I batch sparge, if that
        matters.

        Wheat sure makes a good whiskey, though. It's worth the hassle.

        Mark
      • pguy40
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 2, 2005
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <highabv@y...> wrote:
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pguy40" <pguy40@y...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          > I've had a couple of wheat mashes stick on me when I deviate
          > from "standard" beer making procedures. For me, safest way is to
          > use at least 35% 6 row high enzyme barley, and hold conversion
          > temperature for 3 hours with a mash out. I make a yeast starter,
          and
          > aquarium pump in air for 12 hours minimum. I batch sparge, if that
          > matters.
          >
          > Wheat sure makes a good whiskey, though. It's worth the hassle.
          >
          > Mark

          I used malted wheat, it seems to be working fine now, it just took a
          while for those yeasties to become aroused :-)

          Everything went real well, had a good conversion, pumped air for 30
          minutes before pitching yeast. First 6 hours showed little activity.
          Now 24 hours later it's bubbling fairly aggressively.

          Thanks all,
          peter
        • Mark
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 5, 2005
            > I used malted wheat, it seems to be working fine now, it just took a
            > while for those yeasties to become aroused :-)
            >
            > Everything went real well, had a good conversion, pumped air for 30
            > minutes before pitching yeast. First 6 hours showed little activity.
            > Now 24 hours later it's bubbling fairly aggressively.
            >
            > Thanks all,
            > peter

            Did you happen to measure the initial/original specific gravity? And
            if you can, I'd like to know what the final / terminal specific
            gravity is. Oh, and how many pounds/kg's of wheat did you use?

            Mark
          • pguy40
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 7, 2005
              > Did you happen to measure the initial/original specific gravity? And
              > if you can, I'd like to know what the final / terminal specific
              > gravity is. Oh, and how many pounds/kg's of wheat did you use?
              >
              > Mark

              OG 1.048 FG 1.016 It may not have been done fermenting, I ended up with
              about 5% alc out of the wash (72 hours after pitching yeast). I used
              about 9 lbs of wheat and 1.5 lbs of wheat malt.

              Peter
            • Mark
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 7, 2005
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pguy40" <pguy40@y...> wrote:
                > > Did you happen to measure the initial/original specific gravity?
                And
                > > if you can, I'd like to know what the final / terminal specific
                > > gravity is. Oh, and how many pounds/kg's of wheat did you use?
                > >
                > > Mark
                >
                > OG 1.048 FG 1.016 It may not have been done fermenting, I ended up
                with
                > about 5% alc out of the wash (72 hours after pitching yeast). I used
                > about 9 lbs of wheat and 1.5 lbs of wheat malt.
                >
                > Peter

                Comparing it to a conventional wheat home brew beer:
                For a "5 GAL BATCH":
                2.5LB lager malt
                5 LB wheat malt
                you should get an original gravity of around 1.048, and after
                fermentation a final gravity of around 1.013.

                The lager malt in the above recipe is necessary to provide conversion
                enzymes. I don't understand how 9 lb wheat and 1.5 lbs of wheat malt
                converted to fermentable sugars.

                Malted wheat is something like 38 points/pound/gal assuming good
                decent mash & sparging techniques. 1 pound of malted wheat should
                provide a gravity of 1.038 in a 1 gal batch. But wheat malt won't
                convert itself (starch to sugar).
              • pguy40
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 8, 2005
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <highabv@y...> wrote:
                  > Comparing it to a conventional wheat home brew beer:
                  > For a "5 GAL BATCH":
                  > 2.5LB lager malt
                  > 5 LB wheat malt
                  > you should get an original gravity of around 1.048, and after
                  > fermentation a final gravity of around 1.013.
                  >
                  > The lager malt in the above recipe is necessary to provide conversion
                  > enzymes. I don't understand how 9 lb wheat and 1.5 lbs of wheat malt
                  > converted to fermentable sugars.
                  >
                  > Malted wheat is something like 38 points/pound/gal assuming good
                  > decent mash & sparging techniques. 1 pound of malted wheat should
                  > provide a gravity of 1.038 in a 1 gal batch. But wheat malt won't
                  > convert itself (starch to sugar).

                  Not sure how it works myself, but I did it based on an Ian Smiley
                  recipe for an all wheat vodka. I think you can find it somewhere on
                  brewhaus.com

                  Peter