Re: weird happenings with mash

  • go_stiller
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hi Rob
      The best way I found was to add 16 kg sugar to large container and top
      to 50-litre mark with hot water and mix well. When cool separate 25
      litres to second container and test SG should be 1.130. In original
      stir very well to aerate and add 48 turbo pack, after 2 days when
      bubbling well, do next part. In other 25 litres add 1 desert spoon
      vegemite & 1 cup molasses mixing very well. I add this through the day
      about 2 litres at a time back to first container, takes about 16 days
      at 22C degrees and the end SG is 990.

      JW

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pguy40" <pguy40@y...> wrote:
        > > More viable yeast cells per litre of mash in one than in the
        other.
        > > Common problem with pre-packaged turbos.
        >
        > Harry,
        >
        > I just made an all grain wheat mash (mashed last night pitched
        yeast
        > this AM) and upon adding yeast was disappointed in the lack of
        > activity. My sugar washes always bubbled vigorously, I can barely
        > detect any bubbling at all in this. I do think it's fermenting
        because
        > about half the grain has now risen to the surface and the room
        smells
        > like I'm baking bread.
        >
        > Could my packet of turbo be bad? Should I add another packet?
        Maybe
        > this minimal activity is normal?
        >
        > TIA
        > Peter

        Could be many things. Did you use sprouted wheat?, or barley?
        Wheat sometimes gives poor conversion.
        I assume you had everything else right such as...
        Iodine test for conversion.
        OSG recorded.
        pH between 4 and 5.
        Pitching temp ~25°C.

        If all that was right, then give it up to 24hrs. If the activity
        doesn't improve, repitch with fresh yeast. That's about all I can
        offer. Sven is the man to talk to on all-grain mashes. He may know
        some other angles.

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
          wrote:
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pguy40" <pguy40@y...>
          wrote:
          > > > More viable yeast cells per litre of mash in one than in the
          > other.
          > > > Common problem with pre-packaged turbos.
          > >
          > > Harry,
          > >
          > > I just made an all grain wheat mash (mashed last night pitched
          > yeast
          > > this AM) and upon adding yeast was disappointed in the lack of
          > > activity. My sugar washes always bubbled vigorously, I can
          barely
          > > detect any bubbling at all in this. I do think it's fermenting
          > because
          > > about half the grain has now risen to the surface and the room
          > smells
          > > like I'm baking bread.
          > >
          > > Could my packet of turbo be bad? Should I add another packet?
          > Maybe
          > > this minimal activity is normal?
          > >
          > > TIA
          > > Peter
          >

          > Could be many things. Did you use sprouted wheat?, or barley?
          > Wheat sometimes gives poor conversion.
          > I assume you had everything else right such as...
          > Iodine test for conversion.
          > OSG recorded.
          > pH between 4 and 5.
          > Pitching temp ~25°C.
          >
          > If all that was right, then give it up to 24hrs. If the activity
          > doesn't improve, repitch with fresh yeast. That's about all I can
          > offer. Sven is the man to talk to on all-grain mashes. He may
          know
          > some other angles.
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

          I've had a couple of wheat mashes stick on me when I deviate
          from "standard" beer making procedures. For me, safest way is to
          use at least 35% 6 row high enzyme barley, and hold conversion
          temperature for 3 hours with a mash out. I make a yeast starter, and
          aquarium pump in air for 12 hours minimum. I batch sparge, if that
          matters.

          Wheat sure makes a good whiskey, though. It's worth the hassle.

          Mark
        • pguy40
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 2, 2005
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <highabv@y...> wrote:
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pguy40" <pguy40@y...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            > I've had a couple of wheat mashes stick on me when I deviate
            > from "standard" beer making procedures. For me, safest way is to
            > use at least 35% 6 row high enzyme barley, and hold conversion
            > temperature for 3 hours with a mash out. I make a yeast starter,
            and
            > aquarium pump in air for 12 hours minimum. I batch sparge, if that
            > matters.
            >
            > Wheat sure makes a good whiskey, though. It's worth the hassle.
            >
            > Mark

            I used malted wheat, it seems to be working fine now, it just took a
            while for those yeasties to become aroused :-)

            Everything went real well, had a good conversion, pumped air for 30
            minutes before pitching yeast. First 6 hours showed little activity.
            Now 24 hours later it's bubbling fairly aggressively.

            Thanks all,
            peter
          • Mark
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 5, 2005
              > I used malted wheat, it seems to be working fine now, it just took a
              > while for those yeasties to become aroused :-)
              >
              > Everything went real well, had a good conversion, pumped air for 30
              > minutes before pitching yeast. First 6 hours showed little activity.
              > Now 24 hours later it's bubbling fairly aggressively.
              >
              > Thanks all,
              > peter

              Did you happen to measure the initial/original specific gravity? And
              if you can, I'd like to know what the final / terminal specific
              gravity is. Oh, and how many pounds/kg's of wheat did you use?

              Mark
            • pguy40
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 7, 2005
                > Did you happen to measure the initial/original specific gravity? And
                > if you can, I'd like to know what the final / terminal specific
                > gravity is. Oh, and how many pounds/kg's of wheat did you use?
                >
                > Mark

                OG 1.048 FG 1.016 It may not have been done fermenting, I ended up with
                about 5% alc out of the wash (72 hours after pitching yeast). I used
                about 9 lbs of wheat and 1.5 lbs of wheat malt.

                Peter
              • Mark
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 7, 2005
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pguy40" <pguy40@y...> wrote:
                  > > Did you happen to measure the initial/original specific gravity?
                  And
                  > > if you can, I'd like to know what the final / terminal specific
                  > > gravity is. Oh, and how many pounds/kg's of wheat did you use?
                  > >
                  > > Mark
                  >
                  > OG 1.048 FG 1.016 It may not have been done fermenting, I ended up
                  with
                  > about 5% alc out of the wash (72 hours after pitching yeast). I used
                  > about 9 lbs of wheat and 1.5 lbs of wheat malt.
                  >
                  > Peter

                  Comparing it to a conventional wheat home brew beer:
                  For a "5 GAL BATCH":
                  2.5LB lager malt
                  5 LB wheat malt
                  you should get an original gravity of around 1.048, and after
                  fermentation a final gravity of around 1.013.

                  The lager malt in the above recipe is necessary to provide conversion
                  enzymes. I don't understand how 9 lb wheat and 1.5 lbs of wheat malt
                  converted to fermentable sugars.

                  Malted wheat is something like 38 points/pound/gal assuming good
                  decent mash & sparging techniques. 1 pound of malted wheat should
                  provide a gravity of 1.038 in a 1 gal batch. But wheat malt won't
                  convert itself (starch to sugar).
                • pguy40
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 8, 2005
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <highabv@y...> wrote:
                    > Comparing it to a conventional wheat home brew beer:
                    > For a "5 GAL BATCH":
                    > 2.5LB lager malt
                    > 5 LB wheat malt
                    > you should get an original gravity of around 1.048, and after
                    > fermentation a final gravity of around 1.013.
                    >
                    > The lager malt in the above recipe is necessary to provide conversion
                    > enzymes. I don't understand how 9 lb wheat and 1.5 lbs of wheat malt
                    > converted to fermentable sugars.
                    >
                    > Malted wheat is something like 38 points/pound/gal assuming good
                    > decent mash & sparging techniques. 1 pound of malted wheat should
                    > provide a gravity of 1.038 in a 1 gal batch. But wheat malt won't
                    > convert itself (starch to sugar).

                    Not sure how it works myself, but I did it based on an Ian Smiley
                    recipe for an all wheat vodka. I think you can find it somewhere on
                    brewhaus.com

                    Peter