Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [new_distillers] weird happenings with mash

Expand Messages
  • jmsmckenna@aol.com
    both washes were made at same time using 8 one kilo bags of sugar then left overnite to cool downthey were then topped up with water to the requires level just
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
      both washes were made at same time using 8 one kilo bags of sugar then left
      overnite to cool downthey were then topped up with water to the requires level
      just to aid the cooling process coz we are havin a sorta heatwave at minthen
      there was one packet of yeast added to each,dry an aerated ,thats all i
      know,when the last one was distilled i got 5 1/2 litres of 93% an it was damned
      good stuff,i know this one will be ok when its done but i was just wonderin
      bout the time discrepancy


      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • pguy40
      ... Harry, I just made an all grain wheat mash (mashed last night pitched yeast this AM) and upon adding yeast was disappointed in the lack of activity. My
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
        > More viable yeast cells per litre of mash in one than in the other.
        > Common problem with pre-packaged turbos.

        Harry,

        I just made an all grain wheat mash (mashed last night pitched yeast
        this AM) and upon adding yeast was disappointed in the lack of
        activity. My sugar washes always bubbled vigorously, I can barely
        detect any bubbling at all in this. I do think it's fermenting because
        about half the grain has now risen to the surface and the room smells
        like I'm baking bread.

        Could my packet of turbo be bad? Should I add another packet? Maybe
        this minimal activity is normal?

        TIA
        Peter
      • go_stiller
        Hi Rob The best way I found was to add 16 kg sugar to large container and top to 50-litre mark with hot water and mix well. When cool separate 25 litres to
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
          Hi Rob
          The best way I found was to add 16 kg sugar to large container and top
          to 50-litre mark with hot water and mix well. When cool separate 25
          litres to second container and test SG should be 1.130. In original
          stir very well to aerate and add 48 turbo pack, after 2 days when
          bubbling well, do next part. In other 25 litres add 1 desert spoon
          vegemite & 1 cup molasses mixing very well. I add this through the day
          about 2 litres at a time back to first container, takes about 16 days
          at 22C degrees and the end SG is 990.


          JW




          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
          <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
          > Is there a best way of pitching turbo mix into 2
          > fermenters? Currently I guess. How about
          > mixing/disolving in a volume of water and adding that
          > between them? Or would thew high nutrient conc.
          > kill/stun the yeast?
          > Rob.
        • Harry
          ... other. ... yeast ... because ... smells ... Maybe ... Could be many things. Did you use sprouted wheat?, or barley? Wheat sometimes gives poor conversion.
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pguy40" <pguy40@y...> wrote:
            > > More viable yeast cells per litre of mash in one than in the
            other.
            > > Common problem with pre-packaged turbos.
            >
            > Harry,
            >
            > I just made an all grain wheat mash (mashed last night pitched
            yeast
            > this AM) and upon adding yeast was disappointed in the lack of
            > activity. My sugar washes always bubbled vigorously, I can barely
            > detect any bubbling at all in this. I do think it's fermenting
            because
            > about half the grain has now risen to the surface and the room
            smells
            > like I'm baking bread.
            >
            > Could my packet of turbo be bad? Should I add another packet?
            Maybe
            > this minimal activity is normal?
            >
            > TIA
            > Peter


            Could be many things. Did you use sprouted wheat?, or barley?
            Wheat sometimes gives poor conversion.
            I assume you had everything else right such as...
            Iodine test for conversion.
            OSG recorded.
            pH between 4 and 5.
            Pitching temp ~25°C.

            If all that was right, then give it up to 24hrs. If the activity
            doesn't improve, repitch with fresh yeast. That's about all I can
            offer. Sven is the man to talk to on all-grain mashes. He may know
            some other angles.


            Slainte!
            regards Harry
          • Mark
            ... barely ... know ... I ve had a couple of wheat mashes stick on me when I deviate from standard beer making procedures. For me, safest way is to use at
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
              wrote:
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pguy40" <pguy40@y...>
              wrote:
              > > > More viable yeast cells per litre of mash in one than in the
              > other.
              > > > Common problem with pre-packaged turbos.
              > >
              > > Harry,
              > >
              > > I just made an all grain wheat mash (mashed last night pitched
              > yeast
              > > this AM) and upon adding yeast was disappointed in the lack of
              > > activity. My sugar washes always bubbled vigorously, I can
              barely
              > > detect any bubbling at all in this. I do think it's fermenting
              > because
              > > about half the grain has now risen to the surface and the room
              > smells
              > > like I'm baking bread.
              > >
              > > Could my packet of turbo be bad? Should I add another packet?
              > Maybe
              > > this minimal activity is normal?
              > >
              > > TIA
              > > Peter
              >
              >
              > Could be many things. Did you use sprouted wheat?, or barley?
              > Wheat sometimes gives poor conversion.
              > I assume you had everything else right such as...
              > Iodine test for conversion.
              > OSG recorded.
              > pH between 4 and 5.
              > Pitching temp ~25°C.
              >
              > If all that was right, then give it up to 24hrs. If the activity
              > doesn't improve, repitch with fresh yeast. That's about all I can
              > offer. Sven is the man to talk to on all-grain mashes. He may
              know
              > some other angles.
              >
              >
              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

              I've had a couple of wheat mashes stick on me when I deviate
              from "standard" beer making procedures. For me, safest way is to
              use at least 35% 6 row high enzyme barley, and hold conversion
              temperature for 3 hours with a mash out. I make a yeast starter, and
              aquarium pump in air for 12 hours minimum. I batch sparge, if that
              matters.

              Wheat sure makes a good whiskey, though. It's worth the hassle.

              Mark
            • pguy40
              ... and ... I used malted wheat, it seems to be working fine now, it just took a while for those yeasties to become aroused :-) Everything went real well, had
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 2, 2005
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <highabv@y...> wrote:
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pguy40" <pguy40@y...>
                > wrote:
                >>
                > I've had a couple of wheat mashes stick on me when I deviate
                > from "standard" beer making procedures. For me, safest way is to
                > use at least 35% 6 row high enzyme barley, and hold conversion
                > temperature for 3 hours with a mash out. I make a yeast starter,
                and
                > aquarium pump in air for 12 hours minimum. I batch sparge, if that
                > matters.
                >
                > Wheat sure makes a good whiskey, though. It's worth the hassle.
                >
                > Mark

                I used malted wheat, it seems to be working fine now, it just took a
                while for those yeasties to become aroused :-)

                Everything went real well, had a good conversion, pumped air for 30
                minutes before pitching yeast. First 6 hours showed little activity.
                Now 24 hours later it's bubbling fairly aggressively.

                Thanks all,
                peter
              • Mark
                ... Did you happen to measure the initial/original specific gravity? And if you can, I d like to know what the final / terminal specific gravity is. Oh, and
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 5, 2005
                  > I used malted wheat, it seems to be working fine now, it just took a
                  > while for those yeasties to become aroused :-)
                  >
                  > Everything went real well, had a good conversion, pumped air for 30
                  > minutes before pitching yeast. First 6 hours showed little activity.
                  > Now 24 hours later it's bubbling fairly aggressively.
                  >
                  > Thanks all,
                  > peter

                  Did you happen to measure the initial/original specific gravity? And
                  if you can, I'd like to know what the final / terminal specific
                  gravity is. Oh, and how many pounds/kg's of wheat did you use?

                  Mark
                • pguy40
                  ... OG 1.048 FG 1.016 It may not have been done fermenting, I ended up with about 5% alc out of the wash (72 hours after pitching yeast). I used about 9 lbs of
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 7, 2005
                    > Did you happen to measure the initial/original specific gravity? And
                    > if you can, I'd like to know what the final / terminal specific
                    > gravity is. Oh, and how many pounds/kg's of wheat did you use?
                    >
                    > Mark

                    OG 1.048 FG 1.016 It may not have been done fermenting, I ended up with
                    about 5% alc out of the wash (72 hours after pitching yeast). I used
                    about 9 lbs of wheat and 1.5 lbs of wheat malt.

                    Peter
                  • Mark
                    ... And ... with ... Comparing it to a conventional wheat home brew beer: For a 5 GAL BATCH : 2.5LB lager malt 5 LB wheat malt you should get an original
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 7, 2005
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pguy40" <pguy40@y...> wrote:
                      > > Did you happen to measure the initial/original specific gravity?
                      And
                      > > if you can, I'd like to know what the final / terminal specific
                      > > gravity is. Oh, and how many pounds/kg's of wheat did you use?
                      > >
                      > > Mark
                      >
                      > OG 1.048 FG 1.016 It may not have been done fermenting, I ended up
                      with
                      > about 5% alc out of the wash (72 hours after pitching yeast). I used
                      > about 9 lbs of wheat and 1.5 lbs of wheat malt.
                      >
                      > Peter

                      Comparing it to a conventional wheat home brew beer:
                      For a "5 GAL BATCH":
                      2.5LB lager malt
                      5 LB wheat malt
                      you should get an original gravity of around 1.048, and after
                      fermentation a final gravity of around 1.013.

                      The lager malt in the above recipe is necessary to provide conversion
                      enzymes. I don't understand how 9 lb wheat and 1.5 lbs of wheat malt
                      converted to fermentable sugars.

                      Malted wheat is something like 38 points/pound/gal assuming good
                      decent mash & sparging techniques. 1 pound of malted wheat should
                      provide a gravity of 1.038 in a 1 gal batch. But wheat malt won't
                      convert itself (starch to sugar).
                    • pguy40
                      ... Not sure how it works myself, but I did it based on an Ian Smiley recipe for an all wheat vodka. I think you can find it somewhere on brewhaus.com Peter
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 8, 2005
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <highabv@y...> wrote:
                        > Comparing it to a conventional wheat home brew beer:
                        > For a "5 GAL BATCH":
                        > 2.5LB lager malt
                        > 5 LB wheat malt
                        > you should get an original gravity of around 1.048, and after
                        > fermentation a final gravity of around 1.013.
                        >
                        > The lager malt in the above recipe is necessary to provide conversion
                        > enzymes. I don't understand how 9 lb wheat and 1.5 lbs of wheat malt
                        > converted to fermentable sugars.
                        >
                        > Malted wheat is something like 38 points/pound/gal assuming good
                        > decent mash & sparging techniques. 1 pound of malted wheat should
                        > provide a gravity of 1.038 in a 1 gal batch. But wheat malt won't
                        > convert itself (starch to sugar).

                        Not sure how it works myself, but I did it based on an Ian Smiley
                        recipe for an all wheat vodka. I think you can find it somewhere on
                        brewhaus.com

                        Peter
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.