Re: weird happenings with mash

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
      <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
      > Is there a best way of pitching turbo mix into 2
      > fermenters? Currently I guess. How about
      > mixing/disolving in a volume of water and adding that
      > between them? Or would thew high nutrient conc.
      > kill/stun the yeast?
      > Rob.

      If it were dissolved in a volume of wort and pitched 50/50
      immediately, it would be far better than trying to get it right as a
      dry ingredient. However, you've still got the problem of the
      fermenters possibly running out of nutrients before the ferment is
      done. You could of course add extra nutrients, but then you defeat
      the purpose of the split, which is trying to save a few dollars on
      yeast. Too much trouble, and not worth the agro in my book.

      While you're thinking about it, have an Italian coffee on me...
      http://www.cartoline.it/pics/_zoom_flash.htm?
      immagine=scherzi_150404_01

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
        So you are drinking Irish coffee? Or no coffee in the
        mix at all? This link works:
        http://tinyurl.com/3qd8o
        Cheers
        Rob.
        p.s. it was funny though.

        --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
        >
        > <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
        > > Is there a best way of pitching turbo mix into 2
        > > fermenters? Currently I guess. How about
        > > mixing/disolving in a volume of water and adding
        > that
        > > between them? Or would thew high nutrient conc.
        > > kill/stun the yeast?
        > > Rob.
        >

        > If it were dissolved in a volume of wort and pitched
        > 50/50
        > immediately, it would be far better than trying to
        > get it right as a
        > dry ingredient. However, you've still got the
        > problem of the
        > fermenters possibly running out of nutrients before
        > the ferment is
        > done. You could of course add extra nutrients, but
        > then you defeat
        > the purpose of the split, which is trying to save a
        > few dollars on
        > yeast. Too much trouble, and not worth the agro in
        > my book.
        >
        > While you're thinking about it, have an Italian
        > coffee on me...
        > http://www.cartoline.it/pics/_zoom_flash.htm?
        > immagine=scherzi_150404_01
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

        Yahoo! Sports
        http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
      • Roderick Holmes
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
          I have the same thing happen some times. Few things could affect this:

          -The temperature of the sugar solution when you pitched the yeast. If you pitch it when the wash is still warm, it seems to take off much faster and ferment quicker vs. if you pitch into a cold wash. I found this out because one batch I aerated overnight, the other I pitched warm right away without aeration. The initial colony gets a big boost if pitched into a warm wash.

          -The ambient termperature of where you have the fermentation vats. Are they in the same room together?

          -Sugar concentration. Did you take a specific gravity reading of both washes to confirm the sugar level is the same. The one with more sugar will take more time. Can't tell you how many times I lost count of how many scoops of sugar I put in and guessed.

          -yeast: did you dissolve the yeast in water first or pitch it dry? If you dissolved the yeast in too warm water, in one batch, it could have cut the viable yeast down in one batch.

          This is all I can think of off the top of my head.

          Warm regards on ice,
          Roderick

          jmsmckenna@... wrote:
          i made two sugar mashes on the same day,25 litre batches,they were made
          using exactly the same usin same yeast,after slightly more than two weeks one of
          them was ready an had stopped bubblin but the other one is still bubblin away
          merrily after another week an looks like it could be another week,wots
          happenin

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
            both washes were made at same time using 8 one kilo bags of sugar then left
            overnite to cool downthey were then topped up with water to the requires level
            just to aid the cooling process coz we are havin a sorta heatwave at minthen
            there was one packet of yeast added to each,dry an aerated ,thats all i
            know,when the last one was distilled i got 5 1/2 litres of 93% an it was damned
            good stuff,i know this one will be ok when its done but i was just wonderin
            bout the time discrepancy

          • pguy40
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
              > More viable yeast cells per litre of mash in one than in the other.
              > Common problem with pre-packaged turbos.

              Harry,

              I just made an all grain wheat mash (mashed last night pitched yeast
              this AM) and upon adding yeast was disappointed in the lack of
              activity. My sugar washes always bubbled vigorously, I can barely
              detect any bubbling at all in this. I do think it's fermenting because
              about half the grain has now risen to the surface and the room smells
              like I'm baking bread.

              Could my packet of turbo be bad? Should I add another packet? Maybe
              this minimal activity is normal?

              TIA
              Peter
            • go_stiller
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
                Hi Rob
                The best way I found was to add 16 kg sugar to large container and top
                to 50-litre mark with hot water and mix well. When cool separate 25
                litres to second container and test SG should be 1.130. In original
                stir very well to aerate and add 48 turbo pack, after 2 days when
                bubbling well, do next part. In other 25 litres add 1 desert spoon
                vegemite & 1 cup molasses mixing very well. I add this through the day
                about 2 litres at a time back to first container, takes about 16 days
                at 22C degrees and the end SG is 990.

                JW

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pguy40" <pguy40@y...> wrote:
                  > > More viable yeast cells per litre of mash in one than in the
                  other.
                  > > Common problem with pre-packaged turbos.
                  >
                  > Harry,
                  >
                  > I just made an all grain wheat mash (mashed last night pitched
                  yeast
                  > this AM) and upon adding yeast was disappointed in the lack of
                  > activity. My sugar washes always bubbled vigorously, I can barely
                  > detect any bubbling at all in this. I do think it's fermenting
                  because
                  > about half the grain has now risen to the surface and the room
                  smells
                  > like I'm baking bread.
                  >
                  > Could my packet of turbo be bad? Should I add another packet?
                  Maybe
                  > this minimal activity is normal?
                  >
                  > TIA
                  > Peter

                  Could be many things. Did you use sprouted wheat?, or barley?
                  Wheat sometimes gives poor conversion.
                  I assume you had everything else right such as...
                  Iodine test for conversion.
                  OSG recorded.
                  pH between 4 and 5.
                  Pitching temp ~25°C.

                  If all that was right, then give it up to 24hrs. If the activity
                  doesn't improve, repitch with fresh yeast. That's about all I can
                  offer. Sven is the man to talk to on all-grain mashes. He may know
                  some other angles.

                • Mark
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pguy40" <pguy40@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > > > More viable yeast cells per litre of mash in one than in the
                    > other.
                    > > > Common problem with pre-packaged turbos.
                    > >
                    > > Harry,
                    > >
                    > > I just made an all grain wheat mash (mashed last night pitched
                    > yeast
                    > > this AM) and upon adding yeast was disappointed in the lack of
                    > > activity. My sugar washes always bubbled vigorously, I can
                    barely
                    > > detect any bubbling at all in this. I do think it's fermenting
                    > because
                    > > about half the grain has now risen to the surface and the room
                    > smells
                    > > like I'm baking bread.
                    > >
                    > > Could my packet of turbo be bad? Should I add another packet?
                    > Maybe
                    > > this minimal activity is normal?
                    > >
                    > > TIA
                    > > Peter
                    >

                    > Could be many things. Did you use sprouted wheat?, or barley?
                    > Wheat sometimes gives poor conversion.
                    > I assume you had everything else right such as...
                    > Iodine test for conversion.
                    > OSG recorded.
                    > pH between 4 and 5.
                    > Pitching temp ~25°C.
                    >
                    > If all that was right, then give it up to 24hrs. If the activity
                    > doesn't improve, repitch with fresh yeast. That's about all I can
                    > offer. Sven is the man to talk to on all-grain mashes. He may
                    know
                    > some other angles.
                    >

                    > Slainte!
                    > regards Harry

                    I've had a couple of wheat mashes stick on me when I deviate
                    from "standard" beer making procedures. For me, safest way is to
                    use at least 35% 6 row high enzyme barley, and hold conversion
                    temperature for 3 hours with a mash out. I make a yeast starter, and
                    aquarium pump in air for 12 hours minimum. I batch sparge, if that
                    matters.

                    Wheat sure makes a good whiskey, though. It's worth the hassle.

                    Mark
                  • pguy40
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 2, 2005
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <highabv@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pguy40" <pguy40@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      >>
                      > I've had a couple of wheat mashes stick on me when I deviate
                      > from "standard" beer making procedures. For me, safest way is to
                      > use at least 35% 6 row high enzyme barley, and hold conversion
                      > temperature for 3 hours with a mash out. I make a yeast starter,
                      and
                      > aquarium pump in air for 12 hours minimum. I batch sparge, if that
                      > matters.
                      >
                      > Wheat sure makes a good whiskey, though. It's worth the hassle.
                      >
                      > Mark

                      I used malted wheat, it seems to be working fine now, it just took a
                      while for those yeasties to become aroused :-)

                      Everything went real well, had a good conversion, pumped air for 30
                      minutes before pitching yeast. First 6 hours showed little activity.
                      Now 24 hours later it's bubbling fairly aggressively.

                      Thanks all,
                      peter
                    • Mark
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 5, 2005
                        > I used malted wheat, it seems to be working fine now, it just took a
                        > while for those yeasties to become aroused :-)
                        >
                        > Everything went real well, had a good conversion, pumped air for 30
                        > minutes before pitching yeast. First 6 hours showed little activity.
                        > Now 24 hours later it's bubbling fairly aggressively.
                        >
                        > Thanks all,
                        > peter

                        Did you happen to measure the initial/original specific gravity? And
                        if you can, I'd like to know what the final / terminal specific
                        gravity is. Oh, and how many pounds/kg's of wheat did you use?

                        Mark
                      • pguy40
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 7, 2005
                          > Did you happen to measure the initial/original specific gravity? And
                          > if you can, I'd like to know what the final / terminal specific
                          > gravity is. Oh, and how many pounds/kg's of wheat did you use?
                          >
                          > Mark

                          OG 1.048 FG 1.016 It may not have been done fermenting, I ended up with
                          about 5% alc out of the wash (72 hours after pitching yeast). I used
                          about 9 lbs of wheat and 1.5 lbs of wheat malt.

                          Peter
                        • Mark
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 7, 2005
                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pguy40" <pguy40@y...> wrote:
                            > > Did you happen to measure the initial/original specific gravity?
                            And
                            > > if you can, I'd like to know what the final / terminal specific
                            > > gravity is. Oh, and how many pounds/kg's of wheat did you use?
                            > >
                            > > Mark
                            >
                            > OG 1.048 FG 1.016 It may not have been done fermenting, I ended up
                            with
                            > about 5% alc out of the wash (72 hours after pitching yeast). I used
                            > about 9 lbs of wheat and 1.5 lbs of wheat malt.
                            >
                            > Peter

                            Comparing it to a conventional wheat home brew beer:
                            For a "5 GAL BATCH":
                            2.5LB lager malt
                            5 LB wheat malt
                            you should get an original gravity of around 1.048, and after
                            fermentation a final gravity of around 1.013.

                            The lager malt in the above recipe is necessary to provide conversion
                            enzymes. I don't understand how 9 lb wheat and 1.5 lbs of wheat malt
                            converted to fermentable sugars.

                            Malted wheat is something like 38 points/pound/gal assuming good
                            decent mash & sparging techniques. 1 pound of malted wheat should
                            provide a gravity of 1.038 in a 1 gal batch. But wheat malt won't
                            convert itself (starch to sugar).
                          • pguy40
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 8, 2005
                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <highabv@y...> wrote:
                              > Comparing it to a conventional wheat home brew beer:
                              > For a "5 GAL BATCH":
                              > 2.5LB lager malt
                              > 5 LB wheat malt
                              > you should get an original gravity of around 1.048, and after
                              > fermentation a final gravity of around 1.013.
                              >
                              > The lager malt in the above recipe is necessary to provide conversion
                              > enzymes. I don't understand how 9 lb wheat and 1.5 lbs of wheat malt
                              > converted to fermentable sugars.
                              >
                              > Malted wheat is something like 38 points/pound/gal assuming good
                              > decent mash & sparging techniques. 1 pound of malted wheat should
                              > provide a gravity of 1.038 in a 1 gal batch. But wheat malt won't
                              > convert itself (starch to sugar).

                              Not sure how it works myself, but I did it based on an Ian Smiley
                              recipe for an all wheat vodka. I think you can find it somewhere on
                              brewhaus.com

                              Peter