Supermarket Moonshine with EC-1118
- This is the follow up to my earlier post
"Supermarket Moonshine with EC-1118" in "Distillers" group.
The fermentation went well even though I wish it took less than three
For those lazy enough to skip the original post here is the
1.Dumped 5LB (2.27 kg) of sugar in 18 liter plastic bucket dry.
2.Squeezed two lemons on top sugar is dry at the bottom.
3.Dropped half cup of unsulphured molasses there sugar is still dry.
4.Toppled with cold tap water to 14 liters and mixed well.
5.Sprinkled 20 gm of dry EC-1118 on top.
6.Stirred and left alone at temperatures in between 75*F~85*F
Here is what I did after the initial procedure.
After three days I added a bit more sugar to the initial 5 lbs
(2.27 kg) and added a bit more water making the total amount of 3.4kg
in 15 L of wash (sugar dissolved). This translates roughly to 13.5%
a.b.v. I was not able to get 18%. Perhaps more nutrients, more sugar
and time would do the trick. To me those extra 4% are not worth
The ferment is dry with all sugar converted. S.G. is 0.99
It is a clear and dark colored liquid without suspended particles.
It is semi-translucent. It smells pleasantly fruity with hint of
molasses. The taste is rather palatable.
EC-1118 works well in this setup.
Sequential addition of sugar in several batches to the total required
amount will ensure evenly paced fermentation with less strain on the