Re: [new_distillers] Re: First Run Question

  • Roderick Holmes
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 29, 2005
      Oops,
      Yup, meant 10 minutes of equilbrium. Excuse the typo.
      Roderick

      abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:
      Column reaching equilibrium in 10 seconds? This I'll have to see ;) I
      think Roderick meant 10 minutes. If you are in no hurry 30-60 minutes
      will get you even better quality. That 1 drop / second heads removal
      speed is good estimate for heating elements in 1-1.5kW range.
      Unfortunately the rule for most still types is that the slower you
      collect the better quality you get.

      - Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Roderick Holmes
      <pure95percent@y...> wrote:
      > AngryMike,
      >
      > With a 25 liter sugar wash, let your column come to temperature and
      stabilize for around 10 seconds (reach equilibrium). This has your
      reflux valve wide open and your collection valve all the way closed.
      Then collect about 25 ml at one drop per second. Should take about 10-
      15 minutes or so. This collects all your methyl alcohol. Then adjust
      to your 3 drops collection rate. I collect at a reflux rate of 4:1 and
      get 95%. My total output is 50 ml per minute and I collect at 10 ml
      per minute. It works out to 3 or 4 drops a second plus a trickle every
      3 or 4 seconds.