Re: Slow Rum Wash?

  • don1lia2joe3
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 7, 2005
      If "fallons" is meant to be Gallons then you just need to add more
      water. Lots of water, about 10 to 15 gallons more water.
      If "fallons" does not mean gallons then I am lost. I do not know if
      this is a typo or if your country has a mesurment that I do not
      understand.

      In either case do not throw out what you have done, just add more
      water and watch it go, do not use a ferment lock, just cover with a
      towel or something to keep the bugs out.

      -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark A. Ginzo, Jr."
      <markg_@h...> wrote:
      > I have 2 1.2 gallons of molasses with 20 pounds of sugar and about
      2
      > fallons of water.
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rocky_creek1"
      > <rocky_creek@d...> wrote:
      > > What was the specific gravity or how much did you put in what
      volume
      > > of water?
      > >

      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark A. Ginzo, Jr."
      > > <markg_@h...> wrote:
      > > > I have been trying to ferment a rum wash of approcimately 50/50
      > > > sugar/molasses. I have not seen much activity even though I
      used a 24
      > > > hour turbo yeast. I know mollasses is a slow process, but
      sholdnt I
      > > > see something by now (4 days) using turbo? I added more turbo
      today
      > > > to see if I get some action going. I have it outside so the
      temp
      > > > fluctuates between 70F and 90F. Any ideas?
    • don1lia2joe3
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 7, 2005
        I come from a small town in the USA, I do not know how much a fallon
        is, can you explain it?

        <markg_@h...> wrote:
        > No. I have 2 fallons of water. Okay, can I fix it?-
        >

        > -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Nay <dave.nay@v...> wrote:
        > > Mark A. Ginzo, Jr. wrote:
        > > > I have 2 1.2 gallons of molasses with 20 pounds of sugar and
        about 2
        > > > fallons of water.
        > >
        > > Hrm?!?
        > >
        > > I you actually have 2 gallons of water, that is an awefully high
        > > concentration of sugar! I am assuming you mean 20 gallons?
        > >
        > > Dave
      • Mark A. Ginzo, Jr.
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 7, 2005
          That's basically what i did. Will let you know the resuiltys. Sorry
          for the typo.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "don1lia2joe3"

          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 8, 2005
            Well, it;s been over 12 hours since I dumped about 2/3 of that
            high-sugar wash and added 3 more gallons of water. At this point it
            is about 4 gallons water to 1 gallon sugar/mollasses. Still I show
            noothing happening even with a fresh batch of turbo 24 in there. I
            know that molasses is a slow ferment, but I should see _some_ activity
            in the airlock, shouldn't I? Anyway, I will give it until Saturday
            and start over if I have to.

            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 8, 2005
              <markg_@h...> wrote:
              > Well, it;s been over 12 hours since I dumped about 2/3 of that
              > high-sugar wash and added 3 more gallons of water. At this point
              it
              > is about 4 gallons water to 1 gallon sugar/mollasses. Still I show
              > noothing happening even with a fresh batch of turbo 24 in there. I
              > know that molasses is a slow ferment, but I should see _some_
              activity
              > in the airlock, shouldn't I? Anyway, I will give it until Saturday
              > and start over if I have to.

              Mark,
              May I suggest that between now and Saturday, you do a little
              research? There's a hundred things that could be wrong. Water, pH,
              molasses, osmotic pressure, dud yeast (and turbo 24 isn't the best
              option for rum anyhow). Making rum isn't just "dumping in yeast".
              A little reading will start you in the right direction. Jumping in
              will only lead to disappointment. Worse, you'll have no idea what
              went wrong and therefore on Saturday you'll start preparing another
              potential failure. We weren't kidding when the advice was to read
              the links. You claim to have read everything...
              <quote1>
              " Even though I read the links and many others, on my first attempt I
              screwed up."
              </quote1>

              If you had, you would not have made such a glaring error regarding
              molasses/water ratio.

              <quote2>
              " I am going to try to fix it on my ownor start over
              because it seems questions like mine are not welcomed on this list."
              </quote2>

              The question was fine. So was the advice given. It's the attitude
              that's unwelcome.

              <quote3>
              " I was attracted to this list because the home page reads " Even
              the most basic questions will be welcomed in order to advance
              everyones knowledge and experience. Dont hold back,"
              So, did I mis-read it? Should I hold back next time if I screw up on
              my next try?"
              </quote3>

              You didn't mis-read it. But you have taken exception to the quick
              advice you got from Kim and I about reading links and recipes. So
              be it. I'm posting this in one last attempt at getting you to study
              a little, or for sure you WILL screw up on your next try. The info
              is there for all to use. If you prefer to just "dump in some
              yeast", then I guess your pocket and your frustration will be your
              teachers. Further links follow. Good luck.

              http://homedistiller.org/wash.htm
              http://homedistiller.org/wash-sugar.htm#conc
              http://homedistiller.org/wash-sugar.htm#molasses
              http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm

            • don1lia2joe3
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 8, 2005
                Remember what I said about not using an airlock?
                I have used turbo before with a lock and it never bubbles, the
                package even says not to use a lock. don't know why. leave the top
                open or cover with a towel to keep the bugs out, then look for very
                small bubbles comming up, it will quit when it reaches 20% alcohol
                or gets to hot. takes about 5 days.

                <markg_@h...> wrote:
                > Well, it;s been over 12 hours since I dumped about 2/3 of that
                > high-sugar wash and added 3 more gallons of water. At this point
                it
                > is about 4 gallons water to 1 gallon sugar/mollasses. Still I show
                > noothing happening even with a fresh batch of turbo 24 in there. I
                > know that molasses is a slow ferment, but I should see _some_
                activity
                > in the airlock, shouldn't I? Anyway, I will give it until Saturday
                > and start over if I have to.
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark A. Ginzo, Jr."
                > <markg_@h...> wrote:
                > > That's basically what i did. Will let you know the resuiltys.
                Sorry
                > > for the typo.
                > >

                > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "don1lia2joe3"
                > > <donaldfranson@h...> wrote:
                > > > If "fallons" is meant to be Gallons then you just need to add
                > more
                > > > water. Lots of water, about 10 to 15 gallons more water.
                > > > If "fallons" does not mean gallons then I am lost. I do not
                know
                > if
                > > > this is a typo or if your country has a mesurment that I do
                not
                > > > understand.
                > > >
                > > > In either case do not throw out what you have done, just add
                more
                > > > water and watch it go, do not use a ferment lock, just cover
                with
                > > > towel or something to keep the bugs out.
                > > >
                > > > -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark A. Ginzo, Jr."
                > about
                > > > 2

                > > > volume

                > 50/50
                > > > used a 24
                > > > sholdnt I
                > turbo
                > > > today
                > the
                > > > temp
              • Snowblind Moose
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 8, 2005
                  24 hr. turbo can blow the air-lock off of your fermenter - it works
                  too
                  fast. Contrary to "it never bubbles", mine bubbled so quick it
                  became
                  a steady stream that emptied the water out of the lock. It gets a
                  high
                  % fast enough that apparently, contamination isn't a problem.
                  48 hr. works fine with an air-lock - especially if you you keep the
                  temp. down and give it more time.

                  -Tony

                  <donaldfranson@h...> wrote:
                  > Remember what I said about not using an airlock?
                  > I have used turbo before with a lock and it never bubbles, the
                  > package even says not to use a lock. don't know why. leave the top
                  > open or cover with a towel to keep the bugs out, then look for very
                  > small bubbles comming up, it will quit when it reaches 20% alcohol
                  > or gets to hot. takes about 5 days.
                • Derek Hamlet
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 8, 2005
                    I use a trap. Typically, I make a 32 litre wash in a 50 litre
                    demijohn. There is lots of headspace. It bubble strongly and the trap
                    sounds like a cicada in mating season.
                    If I'm doing a double batch, I put the rest in a food safe plastic primary
                    fermenter. It holds about 32 litres with an inch of space. I just cover
                    it with a towell and put a bungee aroud the top to hold it down.
                    Oh yeah, I put about 10 kg of sugar with a 48 hour turbo yeast package.
                    I know it says it's good for 23 litres, but, I reckon it's got to have
                    enough slippage to allow for modest increase in volumes.

                    Derek Hamlet
                    Victoria, B.C.
                  • Mark A. Ginzo, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 9, 2005
                      Thanks for your advice. I really dont have the right tools, but I
                      just ordered a hydrometer and have an alcoholmeter coming. I took off
                      the airlock and am using a towel. It tastes like there is some
                      alcohol in there, but since I am used to 40% alcohol I can't tell how
                      much. No surprose there.

                      Thanks for the advice, I will keep an it for a few more days. I
                      fthis is a bust then I will try again with the right instuments and
                      pay better attention to the recipe.
                    • Mark A. Ginzo, Jr.
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 9, 2005
                        Then I really am doing something wrong. Should I throw this batch out
                        and start over?

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose"
                        <tonkay1@y...> wrote:
                        > 24 hr. turbo can blow the air-lock off of your fermenter - it works
                        > too
                        > fast. Contrary to "it never bubbles", mine bubbled so quick it
                        > became
                        > a steady stream that emptied the water out of the lock. It gets a
                        > high
                        > % fast enough that apparently, contamination isn't a problem.
                        > 48 hr. works fine with an air-lock - especially if you you keep the
                        > temp. down and give it more time.
                        >
                        > -Tony
                        >
                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "don1lia2joe3"
                        > <donaldfranson@h...> wrote:
                        > > Remember what I said about not using an airlock?
                        > > I have used turbo before with a lock and it never bubbles, the
                        > > package even says not to use a lock. don't know why. leave the top
                        > > open or cover with a towel to keep the bugs out, then look for very
                        > > small bubbles comming up, it will quit when it reaches 20% alcohol
                        > > or gets to hot. takes about 5 days.
                      • Dean Thomas
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 9, 2005
                          Remember you are using molasses Tony hasn't said what he is fermenting I
                          believe a 24h with sugar would blow the air lock but molasses ? I'm not
                          to sure.

                          Dean.

                          Mark A. Ginzo, Jr. wrote:

                          >Then I really am doing something wrong. Should I throw this batch out
                          >and start over?
                          >

                          >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose"
                          ><tonkay1@y...> wrote:
                          >

                          >>24 hr. turbo can blow the air-lock off of your fermenter - it works
                          >>too
                          >>fast. Contrary to "it never bubbles", mine bubbled so quick it
                          >>became
                          >>a steady stream that emptied the water out of the lock. It gets a
                          >>high
                          >>% fast enough that apparently, contamination isn't a problem.
                          >>48 hr. works fine with an air-lock - especially if you you keep the
                          >>temp. down and give it more time.
                          >>
                          >>-Tony
                          >>
                          >>--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "don1lia2joe3"
                          >><donaldfranson@h...> wrote:
                          >>

                          >>>Remember what I said about not using an airlock?
                          >>>I have used turbo before with a lock and it never bubbles, the
                          >>>package even says not to use a lock. don't know why. leave the top
                          >>>open or cover with a towel to keep the bugs out, then look for very
                          >>>small bubbles comming up, it will quit when it reaches 20% alcohol
                          >>>or gets to hot. takes about 5 days.

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Snowblind Moose
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 9, 2005
                            Quite right Dean - I'm talkin' about sugar mash only. I should have
                            specified.

                            Just a thought, but if I was going to use a turbo for rum - I'd be
                            inclined to use a "pot-distillers turbo" -Prestige makes one, and I'm
                            sure others do as well. It's made to add to mashes other than just
                            sugar (I've used all kinds of fruit - makes great brandy)

                            My guess is that if a person can't see any action in the air-lock after
                            a few days, then it's dead. Even making beer and wine - you get some
                            bubbleing. I'd try again with a proven recipe. Good Luck,

                            -Tony

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dean Thomas <deanlil@p...> wrote:
                            > Remember you are using molasses Tony hasn't said what he is
                            fermenting I
                            > believe a 24h with sugar would blow the air lock but molasses ? I'm
                            not
                            > to sure.
                            >
                            > Dean.
                          • Rick Strang
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 9, 2005
                              Have been away and just read some of your posts.
                              You may have some luck if you heat your wash as Turbo Yeast likes it fairly warm around 40c.
                              I have mine in a box with a light bulb the wattage of the bulb depends on air temp.
                              Rick.

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 9, 2005
                                I haven't tried a Rum wash yet but have done some reading so please
                                correct me if I'm wrong.
                                I was under the impression that Turbo's were better suited to Neutral
                                alcohol distillations, for a product like rum were flavour is the key
                                wouldn't something like a bakers yeast be better (although very slow).
                                I guess my point is there just isn't a shortcut for good rum that I have
                                heard/read of.

                                Dean.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 9, 2005
                                  wrote:
                                  > I haven't tried a Rum wash yet but have done some reading so
                                  please
                                  > correct me if I'm wrong.
                                  > I was under the impression that Turbo's were better suited to
                                  Neutral
                                  > alcohol distillations, for a product like rum were flavour is the
                                  key
                                  > wouldn't something like a bakers yeast be better (although very
                                  slow).
                                  > I guess my point is there just isn't a shortcut for good rum that
                                  I have
                                  > heard/read of.
                                  >
                                  > Dean.

                                  Mostly true, Dean. One minor correction. In my experience as a
                                  baker and distiller, baker's yeast is hardly slow, unless you class
                                  5 days from 0% to 14% abv @ 28°C slow. Regarding rums and flavour,
                                  you could do worse than read Murtagh's ideas on the subject.
                                  There's a little snippet in there on using a particular bacteria
                                  (named) to achieve a desired rum flavour profile.
                                  http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/The_Alcohol_Textbook/Heavy_an
                                  d_Light_Rums/

                                • Lindsay Williams
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 9, 2005
                                    Perhaps you could be specific as to which brands/types function at 40
                                    deg. I am sure most turbo makers do not advocate wash temps of 40 deg.
                                    My Still Spirits std turbo is struck at 35 deg but you would want it
                                    fermenting at around 25 deg. SS do make a temp tolerant version which
                                    maxes at 40 deg but whether you would want to run it at this max level
                                    I don't know.

                                    I guess the best advice is to follow the instructions on the packet!

                                    Cheers,
                                    Lindsay.

                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Strang" <rickstrang@f...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > Have been away and just read some of your posts.
                                    > You may have some luck if you heat your wash as Turbo Yeast likes it
                                    fairly warm around 40c.
                                    > I have mine in a box with a light bulb the wattage of the bulb
                                    depends on air temp.
                                    > Rick.

                                    Service.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 9, 2005
                                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>
                                      wrote:
                                      <snip>

                                      > I guess the best advice is to follow the instructions on the
                                      packet!

                                      > Cheers,
                                      > Lindsay.

                                      <facetious mood>

                                      Naahhh! That's for plebs. The ermmm...'enlightened' ones obviously
                                      are privy to more precise data than the manufacturers/developers of
                                      said product. Therefore instructions are superfluous! ;-)

                                      </facetious mood>

                                    • Rick Strang
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 9, 2005
                                        Alcotec 48 hr Turbo Yeast inst say to use 40c/104f water to start.
                                        My reasoning is as he has a very strong molasses wash he may have to keep the temp up to keep the yeast working.
                                        I tried to do a 16lt molasses 3kg sugar 10lt water wash and it would not start but when I put the heaters in it did it has been working for a bit over a week now.
                                        In future I will go back to my old wash.
                                        Rick.

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 9, 2005
                                          Sorry to be a nitpicker, but my SS turbo also says to start with 40
                                          deg water before adding the sugar. But it relies on the sugar cooling
                                          down the water to around 35 deg before you pitch. I find I need to
                                          wait a while to get it down to 35 but I do wait! Also, the Altotec 48
                                          turbo recommends fermenting at around 25 deg.

                                          wrote:
                                          > Alcotec 48 hr Turbo Yeast inst say to use 40c/104f water to start.
                                          > My reasoning is as he has a very strong molasses wash he may have to
                                          keep the temp up to keep the yeast working.
                                          > I tried to do a 16lt molasses 3kg sugar 10lt water wash and it would
                                          not start but when I put the heaters in it did it has been working for
                                          a bit over a week now.
                                          > In future I will go back to my old wash.
                                          > Rick.

                                          Service.

                                        • Lindsay Williams
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 9, 2005
                                            <enlightenment mood>
                                            Ah, is that where I have been going wrong?? (flashbulb goes off in head)
                                            </enlightenment mood>

                                            Cheers,
                                            Lindsay.

                                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
                                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > <snip>
                                            > >
                                            > > I guess the best advice is to follow the instructions on the
                                            > packet!
                                            > >
                                            > > Cheers,
                                            > > Lindsay.
                                            >

                                            > <facetious mood>
                                            >
                                            > Naahhh! That's for plebs. The ermmm...'enlightened' ones obviously
                                            > are privy to more precise data than the manufacturers/developers of
                                            > said product. Therefore instructions are superfluous! ;-)
                                            >
                                            > </facetious mood>
                                            >

                                            > Slainte!
                                            > regards Harry
                                          • Dean Thomas
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 10, 2005
                                              Thanks Harry I'll just pop that in my Archives for future perusal.

                                              Dean.