Re: [new_distillers] Re: Thumpers

  • Dave Funk
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2005
      Thanks Lindsay I appreciate the info
      Dave

      Lindsay Williams <linw@...> wrote:
      I am no expert on thumpers but you might like to hear from people who
      have used them?
      ------------
      what an unrelenting pain in the ass.

      They triple heat up time (or worse), they leak, they slobber over,
      they take the initial cooked flavor off the first run output and lose
      a big chunk of the tail feints that cant be got at with the heat that
      can be generated just bubbling steam.

      they add so much screwing around tinkering adjusting time that the
      whole process becomes about the doubler instead of about the still.

      and

      I second what (above poster) said...I made a thumper at first because
      I liked the idea of efficency, reusing the latent heat etc.....but
      like (above poster) said, you dramtically increase heat up time, it
      causes WAY more leakage points, you have to pay WAY more attention to
      the heat inputs, you have watch that you don't over-drive the bubbler
      of the thumper, etc. It's generally a serious PITA. I found it's way
      more easy to jam a stripping run through hard and fast on one night
      and then do a proper cuts second run on the next night....

      FWIW

      Cheers,
      Lindsay.