End of run anomaly

  • dearknarl
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2005
      Hi,

      I tried out my new column yesterday. 1.4 meters of packing with an
      eliptical collector and 1380W boiler. I took off 96+% spirit at about
      10ml per min. My temperature sat steady the whole time, then after
      I'd collected a good amount for the size of the wash, the temp when
      up a couple of tenths of a degree (celsius), and I detected a slight
      tails smell.

      Changed bottles and opened the take off valve a bit more to take
      whatever tails I could. The needle valve was a bit touchy, and I
      opened it up too far. Then in a matter of seconds the temp shot from
      79 to 100+ degrees. I closed off the valve totally, and waited a
      couple of mins, but the temp stayed at around 100 deg celsius.

      Does this sound normal? I figure equilibrium of my column collapsed
      when I opened up the takeoff valve and there was next to no alcohol
      left in the wash since my 1.4m of packing had done such a good job of
      separating it, so establishing equilibrium again would have taken
      forever. Sound right? or could there be something else going on?

      I'm used to a shorter column and VM (finer take off adjustment).

      knarl.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dearknarl" <dearknarl@g...>
        wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I tried out my new column yesterday. 1.4 meters of packing with an
        > eliptical collector and 1380W boiler. I took off 96+% spirit at
        about
        > 10ml per min. My temperature sat steady the whole time, then after
        > I'd collected a good amount for the size of the wash, the temp
        when
        > up a couple of tenths of a degree (celsius), and I detected a
        slight
        > tails smell.
        >
        > Changed bottles and opened the take off valve a bit more to take
        > whatever tails I could. The needle valve was a bit touchy, and I
        > opened it up too far. Then in a matter of seconds the temp shot
        from
        > 79 to 100+ degrees. I closed off the valve totally, and waited a
        > couple of mins, but the temp stayed at around 100 deg celsius.
        >
        > Does this sound normal? I figure equilibrium of my column
        collapsed
        > when I opened up the takeoff valve and there was next to no
        alcohol
        > left in the wash since my 1.4m of packing had done such a good job
        of
        > separating it, so establishing equilibrium again would have taken
        > forever. Sound right? or could there be something else going on?
        >
        > I'm used to a shorter column and VM (finer take off adjustment).
        >
        > knarl.

        I figure you've answered your own question, Knarl. :-)
        Tall column, low takeoff rate, moderate power. There wouldn't be
        much juice left in the bottoms.

      • Robert N
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2005
          That's exactly the sort of thing I see with my 1.5metre packed column. You
          would have been able to obtain equilibrium again; it just would have taken
          about half an hour. You will find that after collecting the foreshots and
          heads, you can pretty much open the needle valve up to achieve a flow rather
          than a drip. Experiment with successive runs as to how far to open the
          valve. I find a thermometer with alarm great as I can initially open up the
          flow then just close down the flow rate and maintain equilibrium. A
          thermometer in the boiler will let you know pretty much how much alcohol is
          left in the wash, otherwise you can just keep winding back the drip rate
          until the rate is such that it's not worth proceeding further whereupon I
          change collection bottles and retrieve about 1/2 litre of tails.

          I always do a stripping run first.

          Yours in Spirit

          Robert

          _____

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2005
            ah, good to hear.

            Thanks Robert. I'll try some of your suggestions on subsequent runs.

            knarl.

            [mailto:new_distillers@yahoogroups.com]