Redistilling in a pot still

  • yahpinot
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
      Hi

      I want to redistill to have a higher purity with less taste from a pot
      still. I have now a good amount of 50% alcohol. The potstill has two
      1500 W water heaters controlled with variacs and I do not feel safe to
      put high alcohol in contact with the heaters. What % of alcohol would
      be safe to be in contact with the elements? Also I never run the
      heaters at full power but rather at about 375W to 500W each and a
      little more to heat up a wash because I have a burning taste when
      there is too much power initially.

      Pin
    • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
        Pin, it is safe to re-distill 50% abv in your pot still.
        There are few precautions to follow:

        1. make sure you completely cover all elements with liquid. if not enough to cover -- add water
        2. see that you have not so much empty space in the boiler. if too much empty space -- add water.
        3. dont leave still unattended.
        4. the rest is as usual.

        yahpinot <pinotte23@...> wrote:
        Hi

        I want to redistill to have a higher purity with less taste from a pot
        still. I have now a good amount of 50% alcohol. The potstill has two
        1500 W water heaters controlled with variacs and I do not feel safe to
        put high alcohol in contact with the heaters. What % of alcohol would
        be safe to be in contact with the elements? Also I never run the
        heaters at full power but rather at about 375W to 500W each and a
        little more to heat up a wash because I have a burning taste when
        there is too much power initially.

        Pin

        Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
        http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

      • yahpinot
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alex _{*L*}_ \(a.k.a.
          BOKAKOB\)" <bokakob@y...> wrote:
          > Pin, it is safe to re-distill 50% abv in your pot still.
          > There are few precautions to follow:
          >
          > 1. make sure you completely cover all elements with liquid. if not
          enough to cover -- add water
          > 2. see that you have not so much empty space in the boiler. if too
          much empty space -- add water.
          > 3. dont leave still unattended.
          > 4. the rest is as usual.

          I will follow these advices. Is there an alcohol % that would not be
          safe to redistill let's say 75% or 80%? As I understand the heaters
          would not be hot enough to ignite the alcohol being in the mixture
          right?

          Pin
        • Dave Nay
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
            Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB) wrote:
            > Pin, it is safe to re-distill 50% abv in your pot still.
            > There are few precautions to follow:
            >
            > 1. make sure you completely cover all elements with liquid. if not enough to cover -- add water
            > 2. see that you have not so much empty space in the boiler. if too much empty space -- add water.
            > 3. dont leave still unattended.
            > 4. the rest is as usual.

            Just a small clarification....you need to have enough liquid in the
            still so that the elements are covered _after_ you have completed the
            second or third distillation process. The easiest way to do this is to
            add straight water to your boiler until the emelements are covered, and
            then add the product that you are double distilling.

            Your question of the max percentage ABV that can be distilled is
            somewhat misleading, as the important part is to never let the hot
            elements come into contact with atmosphere, as they will over heat and
            burn out (lucky) or ignite vapors (not lucky). If you attempt to
            distill 95% ABV product, eventually enough liquid will boil off that the
            elements are exposed.

            Bad situation.

            Dave
          • yahpinot
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5, 2005
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Nay <dave.nay@v...>
              wrote:
              > Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB) wrote:
              > > Pin, it is safe to re-distill 50% abv in your pot still.
              > > There are few precautions to follow:
              > >
              > > 1. make sure you completely cover all elements with liquid. if
              not enough to cover -- add water
              > > 2. see that you have not so much empty space in the boiler. if
              too much empty space -- add water.
              > > 3. dont leave still unattended.
              > > 4. the rest is as usual.
              >
              > Just a small clarification....you need to have enough liquid in
              the
              > still so that the elements are covered _after_ you have completed
              the
              > second or third distillation process. The easiest way to do this
              is to
              > add straight water to your boiler until the emelements are
              covered, and
              > then add the product that you are double distilling.
              >
              > Your question of the max percentage ABV that can be distilled is
              > somewhat misleading, as the important part is to never let the hot
              > elements come into contact with atmosphere, as they will over heat
              and
              > burn out (lucky) or ignite vapors (not lucky). If you attempt to
              > distill 95% ABV product, eventually enough liquid will boil off
              that the
              > elements are exposed.
              >
              > Bad situation.
              >
              > Dave

              Thank you for the clarification. I do not plan to distill 80% but I
              had to know how safe it is. So I will be sure the heaters are always
              covered with liquid at the end of a redistillation.

              Pin