Thumpers

  • dcbh4
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
      I am in the process of building my first still and was planning on
      using a thumper. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how big to
      make one and if anyone has pictures of a still with one. I appreciate
      any help you can give.

      Thanks,
      Dave
    • don1lia2joe3
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
        A thumber does not have to be very big to work but as a general rule I
        would stick to 1/10 the volume of your pot.

        Just my opinion from the observations I have seen.

        -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dcbh4" <dcbh4@y...> wrote:
        > I am in the process of building my first still and was planning on
        > using a thumper. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how big
        > make one and if anyone has pictures of a still with one. I
        appreciate
        > any help you can give.
        >

        > Thanks,
        > Dave
      • Lindsay Williams
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
          I am no expert on thumpers but you might like to hear from people who
          have used them?
          ------------
          what an unrelenting pain in the ass.

          They triple heat up time (or worse), they leak, they slobber over,
          they take the initial cooked flavor off the first run output and lose
          a big chunk of the tail feints that cant be got at with the heat that
          can be generated just bubbling steam.

          they add so much screwing around tinkering adjusting time that the
          whole process becomes about the doubler instead of about the still.

          and

          I second what (above poster) said...I made a thumper at first because
          I liked the idea of efficency, reusing the latent heat etc.....but
          like (above poster) said, you dramtically increase heat up time, it
          causes WAY more leakage points, you have to pay WAY more attention to
          the heat inputs, you have watch that you don't over-drive the bubbler
          of the thumper, etc. It's generally a serious PITA. I found it's way
          more easy to jam a stripping run through hard and fast on one night
          and then do a proper cuts second run on the next night....

          FWIW

          Cheers,
          Lindsay.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dcbh4" <dcbh4@y...> wrote:
          > I am in the process of building my first still and was planning on
          > using a thumper. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how big to
          > make one and if anyone has pictures of a still with one. I appreciate
          > any help you can give.
          >

          > Thanks,
          > Dave
        • Dave Funk