new guy

  • big_turbo_diesel
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 3, 2005
      Hey all
      I am now to the distilling hobby and am completing my still.
      I used plans from building a hom distillation apparatus.
      Has anyone else used these plans?
      I am currently looking to purchase a boiler, any suggestions?
      I have a beer keg but am unsure if it is stianless.
      I am also looking for rasching rings as packing, can someone point me
      in the right direction.?
      Thanks
      BTD
    • don1lia2joe3
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 3, 2005
        Which still did you build?
        Test your keg with a magnet, if it is aluminum then it will not stick
        if it does then you are in luck.

        Instead of rasching rings use copper or stainless pot scrubbers, just
        look out that you do not get the copper plated ones, pot scrubbers
        work better than rasching rings.

        -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "big_turbo_diesel"
        <big_turbo_diesel@y...> wrote:
        > Hey all
        > I am now to the distilling hobby and am completing my still.
        > I used plans from building a hom distillation apparatus.
        > Has anyone else used these plans?
        > I am currently looking to purchase a boiler, any suggestions?
        > I have a beer keg but am unsure if it is stianless.
        > I am also looking for rasching rings as packing, can someone point
        me
        > in the right direction.?
        > Thanks
        > BTD
      • damtender2003
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 19, 2007
          Howdy guys, I'm totally new to this forum and to distilling. I've
          spent enough time on the internet to understand the basic concepts of
          the hobby and the equipment needed to get started...I hope! I've
          decided to construct a valved reflux still and have begun locating
          needed items. Have aquired a 42,000 BTU gas burner and a aluminum
          flat topped boiler that will hold 7 gal. (US) with 2'' freeboard. I
          can clamp the top to the bottom of the boiler with 4 tiny C-clamps.
          Going to take a little time to locate the larger dia. copper pipe but
          have a couple potential sources. So, I guess it's time for dumb-ass
          question #1.

          Packing. If one is going to use stainless or copper scrubbers, how
          tightly do you pack them? Do you fill the entire column with them or
          just use a couple near the top? Do glass marbles work better?

          #2 The plans I'm using call for a 2"X28" column. Do you gain anything
          by going to a longer or larger dia. column? If you do, and it seems
          reasonable you would, do you also need to enlarge the rest of the
          still such as the number of cooling coils etc?

          #3 We live way out in the country and have well water that is just
          fine for drinking but a bit hard. In making my wash, should I use
          bottled water that costs about .80 a gal. or would that be a waste of
          money?

          #4 When the still is completed and has had a test run I plan to make
          my first wash with sugar and a 20% Turbo yeast. Does that sound OK?
          This is ranch country and I have easy access to bulk grains and feed
          quality molasses. In the future hope to try malting my own barley but
          that's, as I understand, pretty complicated.

          Well, thanks. Any comments and advice will be greatly appreciated.

          Cheers...the ol' retired Damtender
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 19, 2007
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "damtender2003"
            <damtender2003@...> wrote:

            > Howdy guys, I'm totally new to this forum and to distilling. I've
            > spent enough time on the internet to understand the basic concepts
            of
            > the hobby and the equipment needed to get started...I hope! I've
            > decided to construct a valved reflux still and have begun locating
            > needed items. Have aquired a 42,000 BTU gas burner and a aluminum
            > flat topped boiler that will hold 7 gal. (US) with 2'' freeboard.
            > can clamp the top to the bottom of the boiler with 4 tiny C-
            clamps.
            > Going to take a little time to locate the larger dia. copper pipe
            but
            > have a couple potential sources. So, I guess it's time for dumb-
            ass
            > question #1.
            >
            > Packing. If one is going to use stainless or copper scrubbers, how
            > tightly do you pack them? Do you fill the entire column with them
            or
            > just use a couple near the top? Do glass marbles work better?
            >
            > #2 The plans I'm using call for a 2"X28" column. Do you gain
            anything
            > by going to a longer or larger dia. column? If you do, and it
            seems
            > reasonable you would, do you also need to enlarge the rest of the
            > still such as the number of cooling coils etc?
            >
            > #3 We live way out in the country and have well water that is just
            > fine for drinking but a bit hard. In making my wash, should I use
            > bottled water that costs about .80 a gal. or would that be a waste
            of
            > money?
            >
            > #4 When the still is completed and has had a test run I plan to
            make
            > my first wash with sugar and a 20% Turbo yeast. Does that sound
            OK?
            > This is ranch country and I have easy access to bulk grains and
            feed
            > quality molasses. In the future hope to try malting my own barley
            but
            > that's, as I understand, pretty complicated.
            >
            > Well, thanks. Any comments and advice will be greatly appreciated.
            >
            > Cheers...the ol' retired Damtender

            Hi Damtender,
            Go to the homepage...

            There you can jump-off to Tony's Homedistiller.org site. All your
            questions ( & much more ) are answered there. Spend some time
            reading the site. You won't be sorry. Good luck & welcome. :)

          • tyler_97355
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 19, 2007
              As Harry said, this forum is more suited for people who have already
              successfully been distilling. The new distillers forum, is just that,
              for new distillers. However, i will still try to answer your questions.

              #1. Copper pot scrubbers work better than marbles. How tight do you
              packe them? Thats hard to say. You don't want them too tight or
              scrunched up that vapor can't get through. Pack the entire column up
              to a few inches below the outlet.

              #2. The wider the column, the more power it can handle. The taller the
              column, the more plates you will have, this means a purer product. If
              you increase the power input, you will need to compensate for it by
              increasing the cooling.

              #3. I also use well water. There is nothing wrong with it, you might
              just need to adjust the PH of the water with some lemon juice. I think
              the optimal PH is 5-6. Do not waste your money on bottled water. Well
              water is better to use that chlorinated city water.

              #4. Most people start off with a sugar wash like you described.
              Malting your own barley can be a little difficult, but if you research
              it, it shouldn't be that hard.

              Your best bet is to visit homedistiller.org and read everything over
              and over. Its the best free source of information on distilling that i
              know of. Have fun, welcome, and good luck.

              -Tyler

              <damtender2003@...> wrote:

              > Howdy guys, I'm totally new to this forum and to distilling. I've
              > spent enough time on the internet to understand the basic concepts of
              > the hobby and the equipment needed to get started...I hope! I've
              > decided to construct a valved reflux still and have begun locating
              > needed items. Have aquired a 42,000 BTU gas burner and a aluminum
              > flat topped boiler that will hold 7 gal. (US) with 2'' freeboard. I
              > can clamp the top to the bottom of the boiler with 4 tiny C-clamps.
              > Going to take a little time to locate the larger dia. copper pipe but
              > have a couple potential sources. So, I guess it's time for dumb-ass
              > question #1.
              >
              > Packing. If one is going to use stainless or copper scrubbers, how
              > tightly do you pack them? Do you fill the entire column with them or
              > just use a couple near the top? Do glass marbles work better?
              >
              > #2 The plans I'm using call for a 2"X28" column. Do you gain anything
              > by going to a longer or larger dia. column? If you do, and it seems
              > reasonable you would, do you also need to enlarge the rest of the
              > still such as the number of cooling coils etc?
              >
              > #3 We live way out in the country and have well water that is just
              > fine for drinking but a bit hard. In making my wash, should I use
              > bottled water that costs about .80 a gal. or would that be a waste of
              > money?
              >
              > #4 When the still is completed and has had a test run I plan to make
              > my first wash with sugar and a 20% Turbo yeast. Does that sound OK?
              > This is ranch country and I have easy access to bulk grains and feed
              > quality molasses. In the future hope to try malting my own barley but
              > that's, as I understand, pretty complicated.
              >
              > Well, thanks. Any comments and advice will be greatly appreciated.
              >
              > Cheers...the ol' retired Damtender

            • joe giffen
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 19, 2007
                Hi Damtender,
                If you use scrubbers it is best to unroll them, you will then have a thing like knitted tube tied in a knot at one end. Cut off the knot and roll 2 tubes together, this should give you approx..a 3in. by 2in. sausage. 8 or 9 of these will pack your column. This will give you a nice consistant packing. When the column is packed you should be able to breathe through it.
                Hope this helps.
                Regards
                Joe

                #1. Copper pot scrubbers work better than marbles. How tight do you

                #2. The wider the column, the more power it can handle. The taller the

                #3. I also use well water. There is nothing wrong with it, you might

                #4. Most people start off with a sugar wash like you described.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 20, 2007
                  Sorry, thought i was on the distillers forum. See what no sleep will
                  do to a person. lol

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                  > As Harry said, this forum is more suited for people who have already
                  > successfully been distilling. The new distillers forum, is just that,
                  > for new distillers. However, i will still try to answer your questions.
                • et_couldry
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 10, 2013
                    I have not been cooking for about three months I bought a pot still. I am trying to make straight shine just to mix later. I have not been told and read quite a bit more that I should be using a reflux still. I was just wanting to see if I could still use my pot still and maybe someone give some tips. Or should I look into getting a reflux. Anther problem I have is wondering where I should put the thermometer in at the top where the steam is rising to. Or where the liquid is in the pot? I also had a problem regulating me heat to keep the temp constant I have a electric stove in my house not gas. Any pointers there would be helpful.
                  • local yokel
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 11, 2013
                      IMO the problem is you are trying to run a pot still by tempature. Forget the thermometer, plug the hole, put it in the drawer for the reflux still you may buy in the future. :) Ok, now how to run it? Fill boiler no more that 2/3 or so full of cleared wash that yeast has settled out of for the most part. Turn heat to full blast, cooling water on at same time. When droplets start to form at end of condenser, pay attention the flow is about to start. As the distillant starts to drip, start turning back heat until you get a broken stream running. You might get some wisp of uncondensed vapor, just adjust coolant flow up or heat down.. it will soon stop as the lighter components come off. After collecting foreshots and early heads, turn up heat to a pencil lead sized stream and collect late heads,hearts, and early tails this way. Once fully into the tails turn up to a twisted stream and collect down to whatever abv you desire. I also suggest collect in no more that 8 oz increments on a stove to unit. Line up your jars and number them as they come off. Let sit over night then taste and make your final decisions on which to keep or discard then. In short run it by flow out of condenser, not temps. You do this by adjusting the BTU's you are applying to the boiler.

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "et_couldry" <et_couldry@...> wrote:

                      > I have not been cooking for about three months I bought a pot still. I am trying to make straight shine just to mix later. I have not been told and read quite a bit more that I should be using a reflux still. I was just wanting to see if I could still use my pot still and maybe someone give some tips. Or should I look into getting a reflux. Anther problem I have is wondering where I should put the thermometer in at the top where the steam is rising to. Or where the liquid is in the pot? I also had a problem regulating me heat to keep the temp constant I have a electric stove in my house not gas. Any pointers there would be helpful.

                    • Ebb Dawson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 11, 2013
                        Could you re explain this last part of your statement. I'm just a little confused. What are foreshore and early heads? What's multiply