copper

  • Bryan Ripperger
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
      Can you use any kind of copper to make the vat or do you have to use a
      certian kind of copper. Thanks for the help Ripp
    • Bryan Ripperger
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 25, 2005
        Is there any kind of copper that should not be used when making a
        still Bryan.
      • Snowblind Moose
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 25, 2005
          Just be sure it hasn't been treated with a plastic or lacquer covering
          to stop it from oxidizing, like some of the ornamental copper is.

          -Tony

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Ripperger"
        • jkirby007@netzero.net
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 25, 2005

            <brywayripp@y...> wrote:
            > Is there any kind of copper that should not be used when making a
            > still Bryan.

            one other thing to look for in used copper is lead solder traces any where on the copper especially on the inside of the tubing. i have found some neat looking pipe that had lead solder on the inside and was almost un useable, a stainless steel scrubb pad attached to a long drill bit or rod of some sort will generally take most stuff from the inside if you do it rite or one of the new rotary flapper type sand wheels attached to a long rod extension,will do an even better job,
            happy building and good luk
            jesse jkirby007@...

          • KM Services
            Message 5 of 28 , May 22 7:48 PM

              I have my plumber Mate making up my new parrot’s beak and once I get it all cleaned up is there a way of keeping it new looking? I know regular polishing will do it of course, but is there something you guys with the copper stills apply to the exposed copper to keep it new looking? That is safe of course.

              Cheers

              Ken Mc

            • Greg
              Message 6 of 28 , May 22 8:18 PM
                Hey Ken, It's all good with a hand shake in my book. I was just on that
                Kiwi=Ebay site, Those are some good lookin' rig's!! I cant find the
                video's though. Can you help out on that? Thank's Greg P.S To help w/
                your "Patina" on copper, use a cheese cloth/nylon stocking and a very
                fine coat of ... Get this: I work w/materials that take the beating from
                the outside elements

                Veggie oil. Yep Veggie oil! It repels water and does not "stain" the
                metal. I use it w/my wifes antique shop all the time.

                Hope this help's

                Greg PPS Vid's...

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...>
                wrote:

                > I have my plumber Mate making up my new parrot's beak and once I get
                it all
                > cleaned up is there a way of keeping it new looking? I know regular
                > polishing will do it of course, but is there something you guys with
                the
                > copper stills apply to the exposed copper to keep it new looking? That
                is
                > safe of course.
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Ken Mc

              • KM Services
                Message 7 of 28 , May 22 8:27 PM

                  Greg,

                  Thanks Mate, new there had to be a simple solution; that auction has finished and yes there are a few stills there on Trade me but will give you the links to the 5 video’s http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fractional+home+distillation&search_type=

                  Cheers

                  Ken Mc

                  Message 8 of 28 , May 22 8:31 PM

                    Thanks Mate, new there had to be a simple solution; that auction has finished and yes there are a few stills there on Trade me but will give you the links to the 5 video’s http://www.youtube. com/results? search_query= fractional+ home+distillatio n&search_type=

                     http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=156867871 the guy has re-listed that still and here is the link

                    Cheers

                    Ken Mc

                    Message 9 of 28 , May 22 9:19 PM
                      <km_services@...> wrote:

                      > I have my plumber Mate making up my new parrot's beak and once I
                      get it all
                      > cleaned up is there a way of keeping it new looking? I know regular
                      > polishing will do it of course, but is there something you guys
                      with the
                      > copper stills apply to the exposed copper to keep it new looking?
                      That is
                      > safe of course.
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      >
                      > Ken Mc

                    • Dink
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 22 10:41 PM
                        Thx Ken. Great videos...

                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 24, 2010
                          i'm finding it next to impossible to find 2" copper.any sug.i live in ind.
                        • John Brase
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 24, 2010
                            Is there a Menard's Hardware anywhere near? They have it. Lowe's also has it but Menard's price is quite a lot cheaper.

                            i'm finding it next to impossible to find 2" copper.any sug.i live in ind.

                          • Rainero Morgia
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 24, 2010

                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 24, 2010
                                an  alternate  is  to  use  a  2" stainless pipe  and  use  a  copper  packing

                                Is there a Menard's Hardware anywhere near? They have it. Lowe's also has it but Menard's price is quite a lot cheaper.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 26, 2010
                                  in my area (New England) lowes and home depot sell 2" pipe and fittings
                                  pipe was cheaper at Home depot . fittings cheaper at lowes. i work in commercial construction . ive once traded the boss plumber 2 large pizza's for a 7' stick of 2". check job sites and barter. maybe trade some product.