Cretan Raki

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hi all,
      just back from Crete. Lots of alcohol under the belt.
      Much sun, sand and food. Tipped off by the free
      flowing Raki (not arabic aniseed stuff you understand,
      but Cretan Raki - rather like Grappa) Mostly home
      distilled. (I didn't try any "industrail" stuff).
      Fine weather, good food, excellent chat.
      OK, just to see if anyone reads my posts -
      Do you want to know how?
      Reply if you want (no-one replied on my photos - ba
      humbug!!)
      Rob.

      __________________________________
      Discover Yahoo!
      http://discover.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
        <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > just back from Crete. Lots of alcohol under the belt.
        > Much sun, sand and food. Tipped off by the free
        > flowing Raki (not arabic aniseed stuff you understand,
        > but Cretan Raki - rather like Grappa) Mostly home
        > distilled. (I didn't try any "industrail" stuff).
        > Fine weather, good food, excellent chat.
        > OK, just to see if anyone reads my posts -
        > Do you want to know how?
        > Reply if you want (no-one replied on my photos - ba
        > humbug!!)
        > Rob.

        You might be right Robert. Maybe nobody reads yer posts. Then
        again, maybe they couldn't find the photos. Links help. :-))
        http://tinyurl.com/8fmbx

        You wrote...

        Hi all,
        finally got round to snapping the keg bit atleast!
        Notice the level guage.

        .....................Bravo! At last someone has the right idea on
        safety. :)

        There are two 1500W elenents in there too, but I don't
        think you can see them.

        ....................Yes we can.

        The hole in top is way too big! This started life as a
        home-brew beer boiler (easy cleaning!)
        I've siliconed all round, then cling-filmed over, and
        then rested the column on that to get it mostly flat.
        I still (pardon the pun) use flour paste to get a
        complete seal.
        The wood goes over the column base and a spacer, and
        is then torqued down (string and bulbous bottles work
        well).
        This is not pretty, but it works!

        .................If it works, fine. But if you want to improve on
        that, cut a new lid with a smaller central opening out of some
        stainless sheet and get it TIG welded on. Then have a look at Kim's
        setup (photos/new keg).

        I just got so sick of all those show offs with their
        plasma warp-driven measured and calculated
        contraptions (green-green envy).
        The level guauge (got the spelling writ this time ;))
        is interesting apart from the earlier discussion.
        It seems to fluctuate hugely when my colunm is poorly
        packed

        ....................Isn't physics a wonderful thing? Restriction in
        the column will cause backpressure every time. That's another good
        reason to have an sight tube of the open-end design. It'll tell you
        right quick if there's any pressure buildup. Hot beer geysers are
        fun to watch. ;)

        (and I must admit somewhat purely because of
        the "burco" boiler controler that seems to switch on
        and off quite slowly)

        ..................Lose it. It's a bi-metal strip switch. It'll
        only cause surge boiling and interfere with the distilling action.
        Get a sutronics burst-fire or similar. If you're any good with
        electronics, or know someone who is, there's schematics etc. in the
        files on distillers.

        Oh, only one element on for actually stilling!
        The column/head is still basic, but alot more pretty.
        Will post as soon as I borrow a digicam.
        Rob.

        ................Haven't seen it yet. Still no digicam? Aside from
        people not reading yer posts, they won't lend yer anything either!
        (j/k). Invite 'em over for a tasting session. That'll work every
        time!
        ;-))

        ps
        Yeah, we want to know how re the raki.

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2005
          --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

          > You might be right Robert. Maybe nobody reads yer
          > posts. Then
          > again, maybe they couldn't find the photos. Links
          > help. :-))
          > http://tinyurl.com/8fmbx

          Cheers Harry, url helps!

          > (and I must admit somewhat purely because of
          > the "burco" boiler controler that seems to switch on
          > and off quite slowly)
          >

          > ..................Lose it. It's a bi-metal strip
          > switch. It'll
          > only cause surge boiling and interfere with the
          > distilling action.
          > Get a sutronics burst-fire or similar. If you're
          > any good with
          > electronics, or know someone who is, there's
          > schematics etc. in the
          > files on distillers.

          next project! (after the rotator cuff op!)

          > ................Haven't seen it yet. Still no
          > digicam? Aside from
          > people not reading yer posts, they won't lend yer
          > anything either!

          Coming soon to a folder near here. Oh, and naturally
          everyone hates me, won't lend me anything, and won't
          read my posts, but I don't care, I have Raki!

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry
          >
          > ps
          > Yeah, we want to know how re the raki.

          OK, here goes the summary of stuff:
          Raki (aka tsikoudia) Cretan spirit similar to Italian
          Grappa, ca 38-42percent.

          grapes (preferably seedless) are pressed, and the
          whole lot fermented to completion (min 20 days)at 20
          celcius.
          The whole lot is tipped into the still (potstill) and
          distilled.
          Figures:
          150kg grapes yields 25-30 litres of raki.
          foreshots are 0.3-1.5percent/wt
          tails about the same (distilled till 5percent EtOH)
          tails are redistilled.
          Cuts are by taste/smell
          time is 2hours.
          200-300kg wood used in the fire
          the boiler is ca 40cm diam, 120cm high, filled to the
          top.
          The head is shaped like an inverted smokers' pipe, ca
          50cm high.
          The condenser is either a straight or coiled tube
          submerged in a water tank.

          Thyme twigs are layed at the bottom prior to filling
          the boiler to prevent the goods burning.
          Heat up is "slow" to allow separation of the
          heads/MeOH.

          The good should be sloppy.

          That's the general summary. Salient points are:
          All the grape pressings are used (ie not a byproduct
          of wine making)
          Potstilled.
          no, or at least no broken seeds to prevent meths
          formation.

          I'm going back in September, when I'll hopefully get
          to see a distillation thru, for more refined info.

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          Discover Yahoo!
          http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html