Re: malt / enzyme question

  • markapp
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2005
      no one has mentioned it but all the grain need not be malted what harry
      eluded to was that 6 row has more enzymes and is popular with
      beermakers who use a lot of adjuncts or alternate often unmalted
      grains. use at least 20 % malted as a general rule and do a test to
      insure mash has completely converted all starch. Another form of koji
      cheap and readily available in most places is chinese yeast balls from
      an asian grocer. I can't understand why. Vodka retains so little of the
      grain that i would just go with a sugar wash as it would be cheaper
      easier and give basicly equal results. you gotta clean all the taste
      out to make it vodka anyway.--- In