Newbie making Rum - Please help

  • Mark A. Ginzo, Jr.
    Message 1 of 2 , May 22, 2005
      I am going to get a still in a few weeks. I want to start out with a
      rum. I plan to use a 1/2 molasses, 1/2 white sugar recipe. I am
      starting with a very small batch of less than 5 gallons, Can anyone
      help me out with a few stupid questions?

      1. What might be the results if I added pure maple syrup to the mash?
      2. Should I use Turbo yeast 24? It is advertised to be able to
      ferment a mash in 24 hours even though mollasses is a slow ferment
      (most recipes say 2 weeks at least). How will the Turbo yeast reacte
      in this case?
      3. What will happen if instead of letting the mash distill at a rising
      temperature I let the still set at 173.5F?

      Any help will be appreciated.
    • suitcase1499@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 22, 2005
        In a message dated 5/22/2005 5:53:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        markg_@... writes:

        2. Should I use Turbo yeast 24? It is advertised to be able to
        ferment a mash in 24 hours even though mollasses is a slow ferment
        (most recipes say 2 weeks at least). How will the Turbo yeast reacte
        in this case?

        Leave plenty of room in your fermentor, I used Turbo 24 with mollasses and
        didn't leave enough room and had a hell of a mess to clean up. It foamed over
        real bad.

        Suitcase