fermenting on the grain

  • Terry
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4 7:45 AM
      I always ferment my rye whiskey mash with the grains in, once it is
      finished then I strain them out, can I start my grains in another mash
      after straining, either by reboiling them or just adding to another
      mash?
      I usually do not get a great conversion in the first place, for 40L I
      add 5kg of sugar, so that was why I was wondering.
    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4 8:23 AM
        Hi Terry,
        more info please!
        The scotch brewers seem to just run off the liquid
        from the solids before fermenting. Even though it is
        not a pleasant smell. I suspect your's could be really
        bad.

        Malted rye is still not that high in enzymes to
        convert the starches. Try mixing with wheat/barley
        malt. Say 15pCent.

        as to reusing, can you cope with the smell?

        Rob
        --- Terry <tmasikewich@...> wrote:
        > I always ferment my rye whiskey mash with the grains
        > in, once it is
        > finished then I strain them out, can I start my
        > grains in another mash
        > after straining, either by reboiling them or just
        > adding to another
        > mash?
        > I usually do not get a great conversion in the first
        > place, for 40L I
        > add 5kg of sugar, so that was why I was wondering.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • donald holcombe