Re: Hydrometer Question ?

    Message 1 of 23 , May 3, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Donald Ross
      <donald.ross@r...> wrote:
      > I don't know why it took so long to start. Everything's fine
      now. This am. I timed 15 CO2 escapes (for lack of a better phrase
      when the air lock 'bobs') per min. What temp do you usually pitch
      your yeast at? The instructions said less than 30 C. I was closer
      to 20. Maybe it was the cooler start?? You're right about not
      really learning anything from distilling water. I realised that
      almost as soon as I hit the 'Send' on that reply. I do want to
      distill my own water for future washes though...

      > Thanks for the encouragement. I'll defininately keep you all up
      to date.

      > Cheers...
      >
      > Don

      The slow start was due to the 20°C startup. 25+ is more suitable.

      re the distilled water. DO NOT under any circumstances use
      distilled water for washes. Plain water contains dissolved oxygen,
      nutrients, metallic elements etc. all of which yeast needs to
      establish a colony. Distilled water has none. It is DEAD, and so
      will your wash be.

    • Donald Ross
      Message 2 of 23 , May 4, 2005
        Thanks for the heads up Harry. I'll save the distilled water for dillution purposes.

        Cheers...

        Don

        re the distilled water. DO NOT under any circumstances use
        distilled water for washes. Plain water contains dissolved oxygen,
        nutrients, metallic elements etc. all of which yeast needs to
        establish a colony. Distilled water has none. It is DEAD, and so
        will your wash be.

      • Lindsay Williams
        Message 3 of 23 , May 4, 2005
          My Still Spirits Turbo is pitched at 35 deg C. This is what the yeast
          is designed for. You must always stick to what the manufacturer
          specifies for best performance. Check what Prestige says and pitch at
          that temp and you will be amazed at the difference in its get up and go!

          Cheers,
          Lindsay.

          wrote:
          > I don't know why it took so long to start. Everything's fine now.
          This am. I timed 15 CO2 escapes (for lack of a better phrase when the
          air lock 'bobs') per min. What temp do you usually pitch your yeast
          at? The instructions said less than 30 C. I was closer to 20. Maybe
          it was the cooler start?? You're right about not really learning
          anything from distilling water. I realised that almost as soon as I
          hit the 'Send' on that reply. I do want to distill my own water for
          future washes though...

          > Thanks for the encouragement. I'll defininately keep you all up to
          date.

          > Cheers...
          >
          > Don
          >
          > Lindsay Williams <linw@x...> wrote:
          > Like Moose says, turbos are very easy and repeatable. That said, it is
          > strange that yours is taking so long to produce CO2. Mine starts
          > within 20 minutes! As Harry has pointed out many times, check that
          > your fermenter isn't leaking the gas out somewhere else. I know that
          > if I tighten my lid too much it makes it leak.
          >
          > Your idea to train on water is not really much of an idea IMHO. The
          > still behaves so differently that I can only see you learning the
          > wrong things and, perhaps, getting confused. An alcohol mix is easier
          > and is the only way you can learn the art when all is said and done.
          > It will take at least four runs to get a good idea of how to control
          > your still (and most of us, even a lot more!). But your first run
          > should be OK'ish if you follow the basics. Being a commercial still it
          > should work!!
          >
          > Good luck and let's know how you go.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Lindsay.

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 23 , May 4, 2005
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose"
            <tonkay1@y...> wrote:

            I like to
            > use finings to clear it - but some folks don't.

            I'm on the fence about finings. I do it just because I'm anal. I
            just don't know, and I keep good logs. Based on taste alone - it
            SEEMS like finings help grain ferments for whiskey a lot, but also
            SEEM to help sugar vodkas. I can't measure a difference in yield of
            drinkable products though. Do you use polyclear?

            Mark
          • Mark
            Message 5 of 23 , May 4, 2005
              > re the distilled water. DO NOT under any circumstances use
              > distilled water for washes. Plain water contains dissolved oxygen,
              > nutrients, metallic elements etc. all of which yeast needs to
              > establish a colony. Distilled water has none. It is DEAD, and so
              > will your wash be.
              >

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

              I think boiled water is also very low in O2. I use an aquarium pump &
              stone, but I'm told that an agressive stirring will do just as well.

              Mark
            • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
              Message 6 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                Very strong and brute downpour of cold water from a household faucet or garden hose is usually enough for me.

                I think boiled water is also very low in O2. I use an aquarium pump & stone, but I'm told that an agressive stirring will do just as well.
                Mark

                Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

              • Snowblind Moose
                Message 7 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                  Hi Mark,

                  I've used several different finings and clearing agents. The ones that
                  work best for me are the two part finings. The packet I've been using
                  lately comes from Brewhaus. It says "Kieselsol Fining A" on one pouch,
                  and "Chitosan Fining B" on the other. You add the 1st, let it stand an
                  hour, then add the second. I've used other brands of the same type of
                  two part finings with equal success. It sure keeps the sediment on the
                  bottom during racking - but like you, I'm not sure it's essential!

                  Cheers,
                  -Tony

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <highabv@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose"
                  > <tonkay1@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > I like to
                  > > use finings to clear it - but some folks don't.
                  >

                  > I'm on the fence about finings. I do it just because I'm anal. I
                  > just don't know, and I keep good logs. Based on taste alone - it
                  > SEEMS like finings help grain ferments for whiskey a lot, but also
                  > SEEM to help sugar vodkas. I can't measure a difference in yield of
                  > drinkable products though. Do you use polyclear?
                  >
                  > Mark
                • Mark
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 6, 2005
                    Lindsay, do you use a starter for the yeast?

                    Mark

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>
                    wrote:
                    > My Still Spirits Turbo is pitched at 35 deg C. This is what the yeast
                    > is designed for. You must always stick to what the manufacturer
                    > specifies for best performance. Check what Prestige says and pitch at
                    > that temp and you will be amazed at the difference in its get up and
                    go!

                    > Cheers,
                    > Lindsay.

                  • Lindsay Williams
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 8, 2005
                      Nope. I just tip the packet straight in and thrash the hell out of it
                      with a plastic paddle/stirrer to mix it in and get some oxygen into
                      the water. Just standard practice for turbos.

                      Cheers,
                      Lindsay.