Re: [new_distillers] Re: Hydrometer Question ?

  • Donald Ross
    Message 1 of 23 , May 3, 2005
      I don't know why it took so long to start. Everything's fine now. This am. I timed 15 CO2 escapes (for lack of a better phrase when the air lock 'bobs') per min. What temp do you usually pitch your yeast at? The instructions said less than 30 C. I was closer to 20. Maybe it was the cooler start?? You're right about not really learning anything from distilling water. I realised that almost as soon as I hit the 'Send' on that reply. I do want to distill my own water for future washes though...

      Thanks for the encouragement. I'll defininately keep you all up to date.

      Cheers...

      Don

      Lindsay Williams <linw@...> wrote:
      Like Moose says, turbos are very easy and repeatable. That said, it is
      strange that yours is taking so long to produce CO2. Mine starts
      within 20 minutes! As Harry has pointed out many times, check that
      your fermenter isn't leaking the gas out somewhere else. I know that
      if I tighten my lid too much it makes it leak.

      Your idea to train on water is not really much of an idea IMHO. The
      still behaves so differently that I can only see you learning the
      wrong things and, perhaps, getting confused. An alcohol mix is easier
      and is the only way you can learn the art when all is said and done.
      It will take at least four runs to get a good idea of how to control
      your still (and most of us, even a lot more!). But your first run
      should be OK'ish if you follow the basics. Being a commercial still it
      should work!!

      Good luck and let's know how you go.

      Cheers,
      Lindsay.

      Message 2 of 23 , May 3, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Donald Ross
        <donald.ross@r...> wrote:
        > I don't know why it took so long to start. Everything's fine
        now. This am. I timed 15 CO2 escapes (for lack of a better phrase
        when the air lock 'bobs') per min. What temp do you usually pitch
        your yeast at? The instructions said less than 30 C. I was closer
        to 20. Maybe it was the cooler start?? You're right about not
        really learning anything from distilling water. I realised that
        almost as soon as I hit the 'Send' on that reply. I do want to
        distill my own water for future washes though...

        > Thanks for the encouragement. I'll defininately keep you all up
        to date.

        > Cheers...
        >
        > Don

        The slow start was due to the 20°C startup. 25+ is more suitable.

        re the distilled water. DO NOT under any circumstances use
        distilled water for washes. Plain water contains dissolved oxygen,
        nutrients, metallic elements etc. all of which yeast needs to
        establish a colony. Distilled water has none. It is DEAD, and so
        will your wash be.

      • Donald Ross
        Message 3 of 23 , May 4, 2005
          Thanks for the heads up Harry. I'll save the distilled water for dillution purposes.

          Cheers...

          Don

          re the distilled water. DO NOT under any circumstances use
          distilled water for washes. Plain water contains dissolved oxygen,
          nutrients, metallic elements etc. all of which yeast needs to
          establish a colony. Distilled water has none. It is DEAD, and so
          will your wash be.

        • Lindsay Williams
          Message 4 of 23 , May 4, 2005
            My Still Spirits Turbo is pitched at 35 deg C. This is what the yeast
            is designed for. You must always stick to what the manufacturer
            specifies for best performance. Check what Prestige says and pitch at
            that temp and you will be amazed at the difference in its get up and go!

            wrote:
            > I don't know why it took so long to start. Everything's fine now.
            This am. I timed 15 CO2 escapes (for lack of a better phrase when the
            air lock 'bobs') per min. What temp do you usually pitch your yeast
            at? The instructions said less than 30 C. I was closer to 20. Maybe
            it was the cooler start?? You're right about not really learning
            anything from distilling water. I realised that almost as soon as I
            hit the 'Send' on that reply. I do want to distill my own water for
            future washes though...

            > Thanks for the encouragement. I'll defininately keep you all up to
            date.

            > Cheers...
            >
            > Don
            >
            > Lindsay Williams <linw@x...> wrote:
            > Like Moose says, turbos are very easy and repeatable. That said, it is
            > strange that yours is taking so long to produce CO2. Mine starts
            > within 20 minutes! As Harry has pointed out many times, check that
            > your fermenter isn't leaking the gas out somewhere else. I know that
            > if I tighten my lid too much it makes it leak.
            >
            > Your idea to train on water is not really much of an idea IMHO. The
            > still behaves so differently that I can only see you learning the
            > wrong things and, perhaps, getting confused. An alcohol mix is easier
            > and is the only way you can learn the art when all is said and done.
            > It will take at least four runs to get a good idea of how to control
            > your still (and most of us, even a lot more!). But your first run
            > should be OK'ish if you follow the basics. Being a commercial still it
            > should work!!
            >
            > Good luck and let's know how you go.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Lindsay.

          • Mark
            Message 5 of 23 , May 4, 2005
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose"
              <tonkay1@y...> wrote:

              I like to
              > use finings to clear it - but some folks don't.

              I'm on the fence about finings. I do it just because I'm anal. I
              just don't know, and I keep good logs. Based on taste alone - it
              SEEMS like finings help grain ferments for whiskey a lot, but also
              SEEM to help sugar vodkas. I can't measure a difference in yield of
              drinkable products though. Do you use polyclear?

              Mark
            • Mark
              Message 6 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                > re the distilled water. DO NOT under any circumstances use
                > distilled water for washes. Plain water contains dissolved oxygen,
                > nutrients, metallic elements etc. all of which yeast needs to
                > establish a colony. Distilled water has none. It is DEAD, and so
                > will your wash be.
                >

                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry

                I think boiled water is also very low in O2. I use an aquarium pump &
                stone, but I'm told that an agressive stirring will do just as well.

                Mark
              • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                Message 7 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                  Very strong and brute downpour of cold water from a household faucet or garden hose is usually enough for me.

                  I think boiled water is also very low in O2. I use an aquarium pump & stone, but I'm told that an agressive stirring will do just as well.
                  Mark

                  Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                  http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                • Snowblind Moose
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                    Hi Mark,

                    I've used several different finings and clearing agents. The ones that
                    work best for me are the two part finings. The packet I've been using
                    lately comes from Brewhaus. It says "Kieselsol Fining A" on one pouch,
                    and "Chitosan Fining B" on the other. You add the 1st, let it stand an
                    hour, then add the second. I've used other brands of the same type of
                    two part finings with equal success. It sure keeps the sediment on the
                    bottom during racking - but like you, I'm not sure it's essential!

                    Cheers,
                    -Tony

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <highabv@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose"
                    > <tonkay1@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > I like to
                    > > use finings to clear it - but some folks don't.
                    >

                    > I'm on the fence about finings. I do it just because I'm anal. I
                    > just don't know, and I keep good logs. Based on taste alone - it
                    > SEEMS like finings help grain ferments for whiskey a lot, but also
                    > SEEM to help sugar vodkas. I can't measure a difference in yield of
                    > drinkable products though. Do you use polyclear?
                    >
                    > Mark
                  • Mark
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 6, 2005
                      Lindsay, do you use a starter for the yeast?

                      Mark

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>
                      wrote:
                      > My Still Spirits Turbo is pitched at 35 deg C. This is what the yeast
                      > is designed for. You must always stick to what the manufacturer
                      > specifies for best performance. Check what Prestige says and pitch at
                      > that temp and you will be amazed at the difference in its get up and
                      go!

                      > Cheers,
                      > Lindsay.

                    • Lindsay Williams
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 8, 2005
                        Nope. I just tip the packet straight in and thrash the hell out of it
                        with a plastic paddle/stirrer to mix it in and get some oxygen into
                        the water. Just standard practice for turbos.

                        Cheers,
                        Lindsay.