Re: Hydrometer Question ?

  • Lindsay Williams
    Message 1 of 23 , May 3, 2005
      Like Moose says, turbos are very easy and repeatable. That said, it is
      strange that yours is taking so long to produce CO2. Mine starts
      within 20 minutes! As Harry has pointed out many times, check that
      your fermenter isn't leaking the gas out somewhere else. I know that
      if I tighten my lid too much it makes it leak.

      Your idea to train on water is not really much of an idea IMHO. The
      still behaves so differently that I can only see you learning the
      wrong things and, perhaps, getting confused. An alcohol mix is easier
      and is the only way you can learn the art when all is said and done.
      It will take at least four runs to get a good idea of how to control
      your still (and most of us, even a lot more!). But your first run
      should be OK'ish if you follow the basics. Being a commercial still it
      should work!!

      Good luck and let's know how you go.

      Cheers,
      Lindsay.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Donald Ross <donald.ross@r...>
      wrote:
      > Thanks Moose??
      >
      > I appreciate the welcome. Your comments have put put me at ease. I
      was really confused about the SG reading. It did sort of indicate I
      used to much sugar. The wash seems to be doing OK. I pitched the
      yeast Sat. afternoon. Yesterday, I was getting nervous, no signs of
      escaping CO. However, this am, the old air lock was percolating just
      nicely<g>. I'll definately let you know how it turns out. I plan on
      distilling some water this W/E just to get the feel of it. I'm using
      the Brewhaus EE Pro II. I have to figure out how to control the reflux.

      > Don
      >
      > Snowblind Moose <tonkay1@y...> wrote:
      >

      > Hi Don and Welcome to the exciting world of home distilling! (Did I
      > sound like a advertising promoter!)
      >
      > I've used the prestige Turbo yeasts MANY times. I don't even check
      > the S.G. anymore. Add 8 Kg. (I usually use 2, 4 Kg. bags) to hot
      > tap-water (boiling is not needed)let it drop below 35 degrees or so -
      > then add the packet. Stir well and put the lock on. Keep it between
      > 20 and 30 degrees (20 is slower and better) and you'll have 18% very
      > clean mash. (in other words - follow the directions! LOL) I like to
      > use finings to clear it - but some folks don't.
      >
      > Some folks tell you not to push yeast higher than 1.100. I believe
      > this was a great rule before the turbos came out. Turbos are made to
      > be tolerant of higher alcohol concentrations. They make a cleaner
      > mash than regular yeasts
      >
      > You can really relax at this point. From my experience - the stuff
      > is foolproof!
      >
      > Good Luck, let us know how your 1st run turns out.

    • Donald Ross

        Message 3 of 23 , May 3, 2005
          <donald.ross@r...> wrote:
          > I don't know why it took so long to start. Everything's fine
          now. This am. I timed 15 CO2 escapes (for lack of a better phrase
          when the air lock 'bobs') per min. What temp do you usually pitch
          your yeast at? The instructions said less than 30 C. I was closer
          to 20. Maybe it was the cooler start?? You're right about not
          really learning anything from distilling water. I realised that
          almost as soon as I hit the 'Send' on that reply. I do want to
          distill my own water for future washes though...

          > Thanks for the encouragement. I'll defininately keep you all up
          to date.

          > Cheers...
          >
          > Don

          The slow start was due to the 20°C startup. 25+ is more suitable.

          re the distilled water. DO NOT under any circumstances use
          distilled water for washes. Plain water contains dissolved oxygen,
          nutrients, metallic elements etc. all of which yeast needs to
          establish a colony. Distilled water has none. It is DEAD, and so
          will your wash be.

        • Donald Ross

            Message 5 of 23 , May 4, 2005
              My Still Spirits Turbo is pitched at 35 deg C. This is what the yeast
              is designed for. You must always stick to what the manufacturer
              specifies for best performance. Check what Prestige says and pitch at
              that temp and you will be amazed at the difference in its get up and go!

              wrote:
              > I don't know why it took so long to start. Everything's fine now.
              This am. I timed 15 CO2 escapes (for lack of a better phrase when the
              air lock 'bobs') per min. What temp do you usually pitch your yeast
              at? The instructions said less than 30 C. I was closer to 20. Maybe
              it was the cooler start?? You're right about not really learning
              anything from distilling water. I realised that almost as soon as I
              hit the 'Send' on that reply. I do want to distill my own water for
              future washes though...

              > Thanks for the encouragement. I'll defininately keep you all up to
              date.

              > Cheers...
              >
              > Don
              >
              > Lindsay Williams <linw@x...> wrote:
              > Like Moose says, turbos are very easy and repeatable. That said, it is
              > strange that yours is taking so long to produce CO2. Mine starts
              > within 20 minutes! As Harry has pointed out many times, check that
              > your fermenter isn't leaking the gas out somewhere else. I know that
              > if I tighten my lid too much it makes it leak.
              >
              > Your idea to train on water is not really much of an idea IMHO. The
              > still behaves so differently that I can only see you learning the
              > wrong things and, perhaps, getting confused. An alcohol mix is easier
              > and is the only way you can learn the art when all is said and done.
              > It will take at least four runs to get a good idea of how to control
              > your still (and most of us, even a lot more!). But your first run
              > should be OK'ish if you follow the basics. Being a commercial still it
              > should work!!
              >
              > Good luck and let's know how you go.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Lindsay.

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose"
                <tonkay1@y...> wrote:

                I like to
                > use finings to clear it - but some folks don't.

                I'm on the fence about finings. I do it just because I'm anal. I
                just don't know, and I keep good logs. Based on taste alone - it
                SEEMS like finings help grain ferments for whiskey a lot, but also
                SEEM to help sugar vodkas. I can't measure a difference in yield of
                drinkable products though. Do you use polyclear?

                Mark
              • Mark
                Message 7 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                  > re the distilled water. DO NOT under any circumstances use
                  > distilled water for washes. Plain water contains dissolved oxygen,
                  > nutrients, metallic elements etc. all of which yeast needs to
                  > establish a colony. Distilled water has none. It is DEAD, and so
                  > will your wash be.
                  >

                  > Slainte!
                  > regards Harry

                  I think boiled water is also very low in O2. I use an aquarium pump &
                  stone, but I'm told that an agressive stirring will do just as well.

                  Mark
                • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                    Very strong and brute downpour of cold water from a household faucet or garden hose is usually enough for me.

                    I think boiled water is also very low in O2. I use an aquarium pump & stone, but I'm told that an agressive stirring will do just as well.
                    Mark

                    Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                    http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                  • Snowblind Moose
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                      Hi Mark,

                      I've used several different finings and clearing agents. The ones that
                      work best for me are the two part finings. The packet I've been using
                      lately comes from Brewhaus. It says "Kieselsol Fining A" on one pouch,
                      and "Chitosan Fining B" on the other. You add the 1st, let it stand an
                      hour, then add the second. I've used other brands of the same type of
                      two part finings with equal success. It sure keeps the sediment on the
                      bottom during racking - but like you, I'm not sure it's essential!

                      Cheers,
                      -Tony

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <highabv@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose"
                      > <tonkay1@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > I like to
                      > > use finings to clear it - but some folks don't.
                      >

                      > I'm on the fence about finings. I do it just because I'm anal. I
                      > just don't know, and I keep good logs. Based on taste alone - it
                      > SEEMS like finings help grain ferments for whiskey a lot, but also
                      > SEEM to help sugar vodkas. I can't measure a difference in yield of
                      > drinkable products though. Do you use polyclear?
                      >
                      > Mark
                    • Mark
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 6, 2005
                        Lindsay, do you use a starter for the yeast?

                        Mark

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>
                        wrote:
                        > My Still Spirits Turbo is pitched at 35 deg C. This is what the yeast
                        > is designed for. You must always stick to what the manufacturer
                        > specifies for best performance. Check what Prestige says and pitch at
                        > that temp and you will be amazed at the difference in its get up and
                        go!

                        > Cheers,
                        > Lindsay.

                      • Lindsay Williams
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 8, 2005
                          Nope. I just tip the packet straight in and thrash the hell out of it
                          with a plastic paddle/stirrer to mix it in and get some oxygen into
                          the water. Just standard practice for turbos.

                          Cheers,
                          Lindsay.