Re: [new_distillers] Re: Hydrometer Question ?

  • Donald Ross
    Message 1 of 23 , May 2, 2005
      Thanks Moose??

      I appreciate the welcome. Your comments have put put me at ease. I was really confused about the SG reading. It did sort of indicate I used to much sugar. The wash seems to be doing OK. I pitched the yeast Sat. afternoon. Yesterday, I was getting nervous, no signs of escaping CO. However, this am, the old air lock was percolating just nicely<g>. I'll definately let you know how it turns out. I plan on distilling some water this W/E just to get the feel of it. I'm using the Brewhaus EE Pro II. I have to figure out how to control the reflux.

      Don

      Snowblind Moose <tonkay1@...> wrote:

      Hi Don and Welcome to the exciting world of home distilling! (Did I
      sound like a advertising promoter!)

      I've used the prestige Turbo yeasts MANY times. I don't even check
      the S.G. anymore. Add 8 Kg. (I usually use 2, 4 Kg. bags) to hot
      tap-water (boiling is not needed)let it drop below 35 degrees or so -
      then add the packet. Stir well and put the lock on. Keep it between
      20 and 30 degrees (20 is slower and better) and you'll have 18% very
      clean mash. (in other words - follow the directions! LOL) I like to
      use finings to clear it - but some folks don't.

      Some folks tell you not to push yeast higher than 1.100. I believe
      this was a great rule before the turbos came out. Turbos are made to
      be tolerant of higher alcohol concentrations. They make a cleaner
      mash than regular yeasts

      You can really relax at this point. From my experience - the stuff
      is foolproof!

      Good Luck, let us know how your 1st run turns out.

    • Steve Sells
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2005

        off, put in one bag at a time, vigorously stirring until completely
        disolved before adding the next bag. Poured this into my fermentor and
        topped up tp 25 L, after whiched I stirred somemore. It was also stirred
        frequently why trying to get the product to cool.

        Sir

        IF you indeed topped up to the 25 L mark then you do not have 25 of water.
        If your 25 liters is including the added 8kg, because you forgot that the
        sugar takes up volume as well, I would bet you are off there as well, and
        the osmotic pressure of that much Sugar is hard on the yeast.

        Steve, in the states
        Message 3 of 23 , May 2, 2005
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Sells" <kyoto@c...>
          wrote:

> [...]

          Steve,
          You are right about the water. He's actually put in about 20
          litres. That plus the 8 kg sugar dissolved makes 25 litres.
          However, Prestige yeast is supposed to be set up just like that, so
          he's done nothing wrong.
          The initial gravity will be 1.122, and the potential alcohol will be
          18.8%
          That's Prestiges' Turbo specs.

          What people don't understand about high yield washes is that the
          higher the percentage of alcohol, the harder it is to break the
          chemical bond between water & alcohol during distillation. IOW, it
          takes more power. That's another reason why commercial outfits keep
          their washes around the 8% to 10% mark.

          p.s.
          17 grams of sugar in a one-liter mash, fermented to a low Oechsle
          degree on the negative side (lower then 1.000 on S.G. on a
          hydrometer) yields 1% alcohol.
          Thus, for example, for 25 litres of mash at 18% we need 25 x 18 x 17
          grams of sugar = 7650 grams of sugar, or approximately 8 kg.

          Oechsle scale is a system used in Germany to measure the sugar in
          unfermented grape juice.

        • stevolate
          Message 4 of 23 , May 2, 2005
            Hi Don
            Don't worry.
            I use alcotec 48 turbo and have tried most others.
            The instructions are pour 21 litres of 40c water & 8kg sugar in
            fermenter. Makes 25 litres. I use boiling water and when cooled to 25c
            I add the yeast. Never had a problem with single batch. SG at 20c
            before adding yeast is 1130, which on my hydrometer is bottom of red.
            It has always ended at top of red on other end SG 990

            SG start 1.130 subtract finish SG of 0.990 = .140 x 132 = 18.48% alc

            Weighed half dozen bags sugar and they were exact 2kg.

            Happy drinking

            Stevo

            > I've been lurking in this and /Distillers group since December. I've
            > spent a lot of time surfing through the numerous on-line resources
            > and purchasing the requisite equipment. This past W/E I decided to
            > take the plunge and start my first sugar wash with Prestige Turbo 8.
            > When I took the initial SG, the Hydrometer read 1.12 @ 32 deg C.
            > Rather then do the temp conversion, I decided to wait for the sample
            > to cool to 20 deg. However, when the sample was 20 deg, the HD
            > reading went off the scale. ie: 1.12 is the first defined measure
            > on the scale. The Hydrometer settled below this at a faint line
          • Lindsay Williams
            Message 5 of 23 , May 3, 2005
              Like Moose says, turbos are very easy and repeatable. That said, it is
              strange that yours is taking so long to produce CO2. Mine starts
              within 20 minutes! As Harry has pointed out many times, check that
              your fermenter isn't leaking the gas out somewhere else. I know that
              if I tighten my lid too much it makes it leak.

              Your idea to train on water is not really much of an idea IMHO. The
              still behaves so differently that I can only see you learning the
              wrong things and, perhaps, getting confused. An alcohol mix is easier
              and is the only way you can learn the art when all is said and done.
              It will take at least four runs to get a good idea of how to control
              your still (and most of us, even a lot more!). But your first run
              should be OK'ish if you follow the basics. Being a commercial still it
              should work!!

              Good luck and let's know how you go.

              Cheers,
              Lindsay.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Donald Ross <donald.ross@r...>

                Message 7 of 23 , May 3, 2005
                  <donald.ross@r...> wrote:
                  > I don't know why it took so long to start. Everything's fine
                  now. This am. I timed 15 CO2 escapes (for lack of a better phrase
                  when the air lock 'bobs') per min. What temp do you usually pitch
                  your yeast at? The instructions said less than 30 C. I was closer
                  to 20. Maybe it was the cooler start?? You're right about not
                  really learning anything from distilling water. I realised that
                  almost as soon as I hit the 'Send' on that reply. I do want to
                  distill my own water for future washes though...

                  > Thanks for the encouragement. I'll defininately keep you all up
                  to date.

                  > Cheers...
                  >
                  > Don

                  The slow start was due to the 20°C startup. 25+ is more suitable.

                  re the distilled water. DO NOT under any circumstances use
                  distilled water for washes. Plain water contains dissolved oxygen,
                  nutrients, metallic elements etc. all of which yeast needs to
                  establish a colony. Distilled water has none. It is DEAD, and so
                  will your wash be.

                • Donald Ross

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                      My Still Spirits Turbo is pitched at 35 deg C. This is what the yeast
                      is designed for. You must always stick to what the manufacturer
                      specifies for best performance. Check what Prestige says and pitch at
                      that temp and you will be amazed at the difference in its get up and go!

                      wrote:
                      > I don't know why it took so long to start. Everything's fine now.
                      This am. I timed 15 CO2 escapes (for lack of a better phrase when the
                      air lock 'bobs') per min. What temp do you usually pitch your yeast
                      at? The instructions said less than 30 C. I was closer to 20. Maybe
                      it was the cooler start?? You're right about not really learning
                      anything from distilling water. I realised that almost as soon as I
                      hit the 'Send' on that reply. I do want to distill my own water for
                      future washes though...

                      > Thanks for the encouragement. I'll defininately keep you all up to
                      date.

                      > Cheers...
                      >
                      > Don
                      >
                      > Lindsay Williams <linw@x...> wrote:
                      > Like Moose says, turbos are very easy and repeatable. That said, it is
                      > strange that yours is taking so long to produce CO2. Mine starts
                      > within 20 minutes! As Harry has pointed out many times, check that
                      > your fermenter isn't leaking the gas out somewhere else. I know that
                      > if I tighten my lid too much it makes it leak.
                      >
                      > Your idea to train on water is not really much of an idea IMHO. The
                      > still behaves so differently that I can only see you learning the
                      > wrong things and, perhaps, getting confused. An alcohol mix is easier
                      > and is the only way you can learn the art when all is said and done.
                      > It will take at least four runs to get a good idea of how to control
                      > your still (and most of us, even a lot more!). But your first run
                      > should be OK'ish if you follow the basics. Being a commercial still it
                      > should work!!
                      >
                      > Good luck and let's know how you go.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Lindsay.

                    • Mark
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose"
                        <tonkay1@y...> wrote:

                        I like to
                        > use finings to clear it - but some folks don't.

                        I'm on the fence about finings. I do it just because I'm anal. I
                        just don't know, and I keep good logs. Based on taste alone - it
                        SEEMS like finings help grain ferments for whiskey a lot, but also
                        SEEM to help sugar vodkas. I can't measure a difference in yield of
                        drinkable products though. Do you use polyclear?

                        Mark
                      • Mark
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                          > re the distilled water. DO NOT under any circumstances use
                          > distilled water for washes. Plain water contains dissolved oxygen,
                          > nutrients, metallic elements etc. all of which yeast needs to
                          > establish a colony. Distilled water has none. It is DEAD, and so
                          > will your wash be.
                          >

                          > Slainte!
                          > regards Harry

                          I think boiled water is also very low in O2. I use an aquarium pump &
                          stone, but I'm told that an agressive stirring will do just as well.

                          Mark
                        • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                            Very strong and brute downpour of cold water from a household faucet or garden hose is usually enough for me.

                            I think boiled water is also very low in O2. I use an aquarium pump & stone, but I'm told that an agressive stirring will do just as well.
                            Mark

                            Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                            http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                          • Snowblind Moose
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                              Hi Mark,

                              I've used several different finings and clearing agents. The ones that
                              work best for me are the two part finings. The packet I've been using
                              lately comes from Brewhaus. It says "Kieselsol Fining A" on one pouch,
                              and "Chitosan Fining B" on the other. You add the 1st, let it stand an
                              hour, then add the second. I've used other brands of the same type of
                              two part finings with equal success. It sure keeps the sediment on the
                              bottom during racking - but like you, I'm not sure it's essential!

                              Cheers,
                              -Tony

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <highabv@y...> wrote:
                              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose"
                              > <tonkay1@y...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > I like to
                              > > use finings to clear it - but some folks don't.
                              >

                              > I'm on the fence about finings. I do it just because I'm anal. I
                              > just don't know, and I keep good logs. Based on taste alone - it
                              > SEEMS like finings help grain ferments for whiskey a lot, but also
                              > SEEM to help sugar vodkas. I can't measure a difference in yield of
                              > drinkable products though. Do you use polyclear?
                              >
                              > Mark
                            • Mark
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 6, 2005
                                Lindsay, do you use a starter for the yeast?

                                Mark

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>
                                wrote:
                                > My Still Spirits Turbo is pitched at 35 deg C. This is what the yeast
                                > is designed for. You must always stick to what the manufacturer
                                > specifies for best performance. Check what Prestige says and pitch at
                                > that temp and you will be amazed at the difference in its get up and
                                go!

                                > Cheers,
                                > Lindsay.

                              • Lindsay Williams
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 8, 2005
                                  Nope. I just tip the packet straight in and thrash the hell out of it
                                  with a plastic paddle/stirrer to mix it in and get some oxygen into
                                  the water. Just standard practice for turbos.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Lindsay.