Re: [new_distillers] Re: Hydrometer Question ?

  • Donald Ross
    Message 1 of 23 , May 2, 2005
      Thomas Kehrlein <tom@...> wrote:
      But apparently, and more criticaly, you have used too much sugar. did
      they give you a starting SG to expect?
      Thomas

      Hi Thomas

      No, no where is it documented what the expected OSG should be. Maybe some of the more experienced with the Prestige line could provide some insight. You're right about too much sugar. As previously stated, I suspect this is because I got lazy and just dumped in the 4 @ 2 lg bags instead of measuring it. I've been told that it is not uncommon to have a 2 kg bag of sugar actually weight more than 2 kg. I'll measure for my next wash and see what happens.

      Cheers.......

      Don

    • Snowblind Moose
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2005
        Hi Don and Welcome to the exciting world of home distilling! (Did I
        sound like a advertising promoter!)

        I've used the prestige Turbo yeasts MANY times. I don't even check
        the S.G. anymore. Add 8 Kg. (I usually use 2, 4 Kg. bags) to hot
        tap-water (boiling is not needed)let it drop below 35 degrees or so -
        then add the packet. Stir well and put the lock on. Keep it between
        20 and 30 degrees (20 is slower and better) and you'll have 18% very
        clean mash. (in other words - follow the directions! LOL) I like to
        use finings to clear it - but some folks don't.

        Some folks tell you not to push yeast higher than 1.100. I believe
        this was a great rule before the turbos came out. Turbos are made to
        be tolerant of higher alcohol concentrations. They make a cleaner
        mash than regular yeasts

        You can really relax at this point. From my experience - the stuff
        is foolproof!

        Good Luck, let us know how your 1st run turns out.

        > Greetings
        >
        > I've been lurking in this and /Distillers group since December.
        I've
        > spent a lot of time surfing through the numerous on-line resources
        > and purchasing the requisite equipment. This past W/E I decided to
        > take the plunge and start my first sugar wash with Prestige Turbo
        8.
        > When I took the initial SG, the Hydrometer read 1.12 @ 32 deg C.
        > Rather then do the temp conversion, I decided to wait for the
        sample
        > to cool to 20 deg. However, when the sample was 20 deg, the HD
        > reading went off the scale. ie: 1.12 is the first defined measure
        > on the scale. The Hydrometer settled below this at a faint line
        that
        > resembles the 1/2 increments you see between 1.12, 1.11 etc. Have
        > any of you seen this before, and what figure would I use to
        calculate
        > the abv when the fermentation is complete? Also, would anyone know
        > what would cause this?
        >
        > Also, I did not explicitly measure the sugar as I've seen
        > recommended. I simply used 4 @ 2kg bags. How many of you actually
        > measure the sugar, approx 35 cups, as opposed to just dumping in
        the
        > 4 bags? Has anyone actually measured the difference between sold
        > weight (2 KG) versus actual product? It is possible that I've used
        > to much sugar. I'll let you know the final SG when the
        fermentation
        > is complete. That's it for now. I'm sure I'll have many more
        > questions as time goes on.
        >
        > Cheers.......
        >
        > Don
      • Donald Ross

          Message 4 of 23 , May 2, 2005

            off, put in one bag at a time, vigorously stirring until completely
            disolved before adding the next bag. Poured this into my fermentor and
            topped up tp 25 L, after whiched I stirred somemore. It was also stirred
            frequently why trying to get the product to cool.

            Sir

            IF you indeed topped up to the 25 L mark then you do not have 25 of water.
            If your 25 liters is including the added 8kg, because you forgot that the
            sugar takes up volume as well, I would bet you are off there as well, and
            the osmotic pressure of that much Sugar is hard on the yeast.

            Steve, in the states
            Message 5 of 23 , May 2, 2005
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Sells" <kyoto@c...>
              wrote:

> [...]

              Steve,
              You are right about the water. He's actually put in about 20
              litres. That plus the 8 kg sugar dissolved makes 25 litres.
              However, Prestige yeast is supposed to be set up just like that, so
              he's done nothing wrong.
              The initial gravity will be 1.122, and the potential alcohol will be
              18.8%
              That's Prestiges' Turbo specs.

              What people don't understand about high yield washes is that the
              higher the percentage of alcohol, the harder it is to break the
              chemical bond between water & alcohol during distillation. IOW, it
              takes more power. That's another reason why commercial outfits keep
              their washes around the 8% to 10% mark.

              p.s.
              17 grams of sugar in a one-liter mash, fermented to a low Oechsle
              degree on the negative side (lower then 1.000 on S.G. on a
              hydrometer) yields 1% alcohol.
              Thus, for example, for 25 litres of mash at 18% we need 25 x 18 x 17
              grams of sugar = 7650 grams of sugar, or approximately 8 kg.

              Oechsle scale is a system used in Germany to measure the sugar in
              unfermented grape juice.

            • stevolate
              Message 6 of 23 , May 2, 2005
                Hi Don
                Don't worry.
                I use alcotec 48 turbo and have tried most others.
                The instructions are pour 21 litres of 40c water & 8kg sugar in
                fermenter. Makes 25 litres. I use boiling water and when cooled to 25c
                I add the yeast. Never had a problem with single batch. SG at 20c
                before adding yeast is 1130, which on my hydrometer is bottom of red.
                It has always ended at top of red on other end SG 990

                SG start 1.130 subtract finish SG of 0.990 = .140 x 132 = 18.48% alc

                Weighed half dozen bags sugar and they were exact 2kg.

                Happy drinking

                Stevo

                > I've been lurking in this and /Distillers group since December. I've
                > spent a lot of time surfing through the numerous on-line resources
                > and purchasing the requisite equipment. This past W/E I decided to
                > take the plunge and start my first sugar wash with Prestige Turbo 8.
                > When I took the initial SG, the Hydrometer read 1.12 @ 32 deg C.
                > Rather then do the temp conversion, I decided to wait for the sample
                > to cool to 20 deg. However, when the sample was 20 deg, the HD
                > reading went off the scale. ie: 1.12 is the first defined measure
                > on the scale. The Hydrometer settled below this at a faint line
              • Lindsay Williams
                Message 7 of 23 , May 3, 2005
                  Like Moose says, turbos are very easy and repeatable. That said, it is
                  strange that yours is taking so long to produce CO2. Mine starts
                  within 20 minutes! As Harry has pointed out many times, check that
                  your fermenter isn't leaking the gas out somewhere else. I know that
                  if I tighten my lid too much it makes it leak.

                  Your idea to train on water is not really much of an idea IMHO. The
                  still behaves so differently that I can only see you learning the
                  wrong things and, perhaps, getting confused. An alcohol mix is easier
                  and is the only way you can learn the art when all is said and done.
                  It will take at least four runs to get a good idea of how to control
                  your still (and most of us, even a lot more!). But your first run
                  should be OK'ish if you follow the basics. Being a commercial still it
                  should work!!

                  Good luck and let's know how you go.

                  Cheers,
                  Lindsay.

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Donald Ross <donald.ross@r...>

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 3, 2005
                      <donald.ross@r...> wrote:
                      > I don't know why it took so long to start. Everything's fine
                      now. This am. I timed 15 CO2 escapes (for lack of a better phrase
                      when the air lock 'bobs') per min. What temp do you usually pitch
                      your yeast at? The instructions said less than 30 C. I was closer
                      to 20. Maybe it was the cooler start?? You're right about not
                      really learning anything from distilling water. I realised that
                      almost as soon as I hit the 'Send' on that reply. I do want to
                      distill my own water for future washes though...

                      > Thanks for the encouragement. I'll defininately keep you all up
                      to date.

                      > Cheers...
                      >
                      > Don

                      The slow start was due to the 20°C startup. 25+ is more suitable.

                      re the distilled water. DO NOT under any circumstances use
                      distilled water for washes. Plain water contains dissolved oxygen,
                      nutrients, metallic elements etc. all of which yeast needs to
                      establish a colony. Distilled water has none. It is DEAD, and so
                      will your wash be.

                    • Donald Ross

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                          My Still Spirits Turbo is pitched at 35 deg C. This is what the yeast
                          is designed for. You must always stick to what the manufacturer
                          specifies for best performance. Check what Prestige says and pitch at
                          that temp and you will be amazed at the difference in its get up and go!

                          wrote:
                          > I don't know why it took so long to start. Everything's fine now.
                          This am. I timed 15 CO2 escapes (for lack of a better phrase when the
                          air lock 'bobs') per min. What temp do you usually pitch your yeast
                          at? The instructions said less than 30 C. I was closer to 20. Maybe
                          it was the cooler start?? You're right about not really learning
                          anything from distilling water. I realised that almost as soon as I
                          hit the 'Send' on that reply. I do want to distill my own water for
                          future washes though...

                          > Thanks for the encouragement. I'll defininately keep you all up to
                          date.

                          > Cheers...
                          >
                          > Don
                          >
                          > Lindsay Williams <linw@x...> wrote:
                          > Like Moose says, turbos are very easy and repeatable. That said, it is
                          > strange that yours is taking so long to produce CO2. Mine starts
                          > within 20 minutes! As Harry has pointed out many times, check that
                          > your fermenter isn't leaking the gas out somewhere else. I know that
                          > if I tighten my lid too much it makes it leak.
                          >
                          > Your idea to train on water is not really much of an idea IMHO. The
                          > still behaves so differently that I can only see you learning the
                          > wrong things and, perhaps, getting confused. An alcohol mix is easier
                          > and is the only way you can learn the art when all is said and done.
                          > It will take at least four runs to get a good idea of how to control
                          > your still (and most of us, even a lot more!). But your first run
                          > should be OK'ish if you follow the basics. Being a commercial still it
                          > should work!!
                          >
                          > Good luck and let's know how you go.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > Lindsay.

                        • Mark
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose"
                            <tonkay1@y...> wrote:

                            I like to
                            > use finings to clear it - but some folks don't.

                            I'm on the fence about finings. I do it just because I'm anal. I
                            just don't know, and I keep good logs. Based on taste alone - it
                            SEEMS like finings help grain ferments for whiskey a lot, but also
                            SEEM to help sugar vodkas. I can't measure a difference in yield of
                            drinkable products though. Do you use polyclear?

                            Mark
                          • Mark
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                              > re the distilled water. DO NOT under any circumstances use
                              > distilled water for washes. Plain water contains dissolved oxygen,
                              > nutrients, metallic elements etc. all of which yeast needs to
                              > establish a colony. Distilled water has none. It is DEAD, and so
                              > will your wash be.
                              >

                              > Slainte!
                              > regards Harry

                              I think boiled water is also very low in O2. I use an aquarium pump &
                              stone, but I'm told that an agressive stirring will do just as well.

                              Mark
                            • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                                Very strong and brute downpour of cold water from a household faucet or garden hose is usually enough for me.

                                I think boiled water is also very low in O2. I use an aquarium pump & stone, but I'm told that an agressive stirring will do just as well.
                                Mark

                                Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                                http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                              • Snowblind Moose
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                                  Hi Mark,

                                  I've used several different finings and clearing agents. The ones that
                                  work best for me are the two part finings. The packet I've been using
                                  lately comes from Brewhaus. It says "Kieselsol Fining A" on one pouch,
                                  and "Chitosan Fining B" on the other. You add the 1st, let it stand an
                                  hour, then add the second. I've used other brands of the same type of
                                  two part finings with equal success. It sure keeps the sediment on the
                                  bottom during racking - but like you, I'm not sure it's essential!

                                  Cheers,
                                  -Tony

                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <highabv@y...> wrote:
                                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose"
                                  > <tonkay1@y...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > I like to
                                  > > use finings to clear it - but some folks don't.
                                  >

                                  > I'm on the fence about finings. I do it just because I'm anal. I
                                  > just don't know, and I keep good logs. Based on taste alone - it
                                  > SEEMS like finings help grain ferments for whiskey a lot, but also
                                  > SEEM to help sugar vodkas. I can't measure a difference in yield of
                                  > drinkable products though. Do you use polyclear?
                                  >
                                  > Mark
                                • Mark
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 6, 2005
                                    Lindsay, do you use a starter for the yeast?

                                    Mark

                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>
                                    wrote:
                                    > My Still Spirits Turbo is pitched at 35 deg C. This is what the yeast
                                    > is designed for. You must always stick to what the manufacturer
                                    > specifies for best performance. Check what Prestige says and pitch at
                                    > that temp and you will be amazed at the difference in its get up and
                                    go!

                                    > Cheers,
                                    > Lindsay.

                                  • Lindsay Williams
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 8, 2005
                                      Nope. I just tip the packet straight in and thrash the hell out of it
                                      with a plastic paddle/stirrer to mix it in and get some oxygen into
                                      the water. Just standard practice for turbos.

                                      Cheers,
                                      Lindsay.