Re: [new_distillers] Re: Hydrometer Question ?

  • Thomas Kehrlein
    Message 1 of 23 , May 2, 2005
      But apparently, and more criticaly, you have used too much sugar. did
      they give you a starting SG to expect?
      Thomas

      Donald Ross wrote:

      >Hi Thomas
      >
      >The instructons for the Prestige Turbo 8 call for 8 kg of sugar and 25 l of water. They explicitly say not to use more water.
      >
      >Don
      >
      >Thomas Kehrlein <tom@...> wrote:
      >Just a newbie here, but couldn't Donald add more water to bring the SG down?
      >Thomas

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Donald Ross
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2005
        Thanks Mark, replies in-line..

        OSG is probably about 1.123 or so at 20C.)
        >>> I'll try 1.123 as my OSG when the time comes

        ( homedistiller.org has a volume to weight calculator - but
        >>> I've seen that page and the instructions for the Pretige Euopean Connection Kit says that most 2 kg bags are overweight and to use 35 cups instead. I just thought that was an lot of work, but not doing it could have caused the HD reading???
        ( too late for this batch, but make sure the sugar was fully
        dissolved in the water. That means a lot of mechanical agitation
        followed by a good boil. Undissolved sugars won't ferment, and cause
        off tastes in the stilled product. )

        >>> the sugar was well disovled. I boiled 8 l of water, turned the heat off, put in one bag at a time, vigorously stirring until completely disolved before adding the next bag. Poured this into my fermentor and topped up tp 25 L, after whiched I stirred somemore. It was also stirred frequently why trying to get the product to cool.

        ( if possible, keep the fermenter in a cold place - like around
        25C.

        >>> The ambient temp of the house doesn't excceed 20 during the day, and the furnace is off at night. (summer will be of a challenge). The fermenter is sitting in the ktchen where the tile floors are cooler.

        Cheers.

        Don

      • Donald Ross
        Message 3 of 23 , May 2, 2005
          Thomas Kehrlein <tom@...> wrote:
          But apparently, and more criticaly, you have used too much sugar. did
          they give you a starting SG to expect?
          Thomas

          Hi Thomas

          No, no where is it documented what the expected OSG should be. Maybe some of the more experienced with the Prestige line could provide some insight. You're right about too much sugar. As previously stated, I suspect this is because I got lazy and just dumped in the 4 @ 2 lg bags instead of measuring it. I've been told that it is not uncommon to have a 2 kg bag of sugar actually weight more than 2 kg. I'll measure for my next wash and see what happens.

          Cheers.......

          Don

        • Snowblind Moose
          Message 4 of 23 , May 2, 2005
            Hi Don and Welcome to the exciting world of home distilling! (Did I
            sound like a advertising promoter!)

            I've used the prestige Turbo yeasts MANY times. I don't even check
            the S.G. anymore. Add 8 Kg. (I usually use 2, 4 Kg. bags) to hot
            tap-water (boiling is not needed)let it drop below 35 degrees or so -
            then add the packet. Stir well and put the lock on. Keep it between
            20 and 30 degrees (20 is slower and better) and you'll have 18% very
            clean mash. (in other words - follow the directions! LOL) I like to
            use finings to clear it - but some folks don't.

            Some folks tell you not to push yeast higher than 1.100. I believe
            this was a great rule before the turbos came out. Turbos are made to
            be tolerant of higher alcohol concentrations. They make a cleaner
            mash than regular yeasts

            You can really relax at this point. From my experience - the stuff
            is foolproof!

            Good Luck, let us know how your 1st run turns out.

            > Greetings
            >
            > I've been lurking in this and /Distillers group since December.
            I've
            > spent a lot of time surfing through the numerous on-line resources
            > and purchasing the requisite equipment. This past W/E I decided to
            > take the plunge and start my first sugar wash with Prestige Turbo
            8.
            > When I took the initial SG, the Hydrometer read 1.12 @ 32 deg C.
            > Rather then do the temp conversion, I decided to wait for the
            sample
            > to cool to 20 deg. However, when the sample was 20 deg, the HD
            > reading went off the scale. ie: 1.12 is the first defined measure
            > on the scale. The Hydrometer settled below this at a faint line
            that
            > resembles the 1/2 increments you see between 1.12, 1.11 etc. Have
            > any of you seen this before, and what figure would I use to
            calculate
            > the abv when the fermentation is complete? Also, would anyone know
            > what would cause this?
            >
            > Also, I did not explicitly measure the sugar as I've seen
            > recommended. I simply used 4 @ 2kg bags. How many of you actually
            > measure the sugar, approx 35 cups, as opposed to just dumping in
            the
            > 4 bags? Has anyone actually measured the difference between sold
            > weight (2 KG) versus actual product? It is possible that I've used
            > to much sugar. I'll let you know the final SG when the
            fermentation
            > is complete. That's it for now. I'm sure I'll have many more
            > questions as time goes on.
            >
            > Cheers.......
            >
            > Don
          • Donald Ross

              Message 6 of 23 , May 2, 2005

                Sir

                IF you indeed topped up to the 25 L mark then you do not have 25 of water.
                If your 25 liters is including the added 8kg, because you forgot that the
                sugar takes up volume as well, I would bet you are off there as well, and
                the osmotic pressure of that much Sugar is hard on the yeast.

                Steve, in the states
                Message 7 of 23 , May 2, 2005
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Sells" <kyoto@c...>
                  wrote:

> [...]

                  Steve,
                  You are right about the water. He's actually put in about 20
                  litres. That plus the 8 kg sugar dissolved makes 25 litres.
                  However, Prestige yeast is supposed to be set up just like that, so
                  he's done nothing wrong.
                  The initial gravity will be 1.122, and the potential alcohol will be
                  18.8%
                  That's Prestiges' Turbo specs.

                  What people don't understand about high yield washes is that the
                  higher the percentage of alcohol, the harder it is to break the
                  chemical bond between water & alcohol during distillation. IOW, it
                  takes more power. That's another reason why commercial outfits keep
                  their washes around the 8% to 10% mark.

                  p.s.
                  17 grams of sugar in a one-liter mash, fermented to a low Oechsle
                  degree on the negative side (lower then 1.000 on S.G. on a
                  hydrometer) yields 1% alcohol.
                  Thus, for example, for 25 litres of mash at 18% we need 25 x 18 x 17
                  grams of sugar = 7650 grams of sugar, or approximately 8 kg.

                  Oechsle scale is a system used in Germany to measure the sugar in
                  unfermented grape juice.

                • stevolate
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 2, 2005
                    Hi Don
                    Don't worry.
                    I use alcotec 48 turbo and have tried most others.
                    The instructions are pour 21 litres of 40c water & 8kg sugar in
                    fermenter. Makes 25 litres. I use boiling water and when cooled to 25c
                    I add the yeast. Never had a problem with single batch. SG at 20c
                    before adding yeast is 1130, which on my hydrometer is bottom of red.
                    It has always ended at top of red on other end SG 990

                    SG start 1.130 subtract finish SG of 0.990 = .140 x 132 = 18.48% alc

                    Weighed half dozen bags sugar and they were exact 2kg.

                    Happy drinking

                    Stevo

                    > I've been lurking in this and /Distillers group since December. I've
                    > spent a lot of time surfing through the numerous on-line resources
                    > and purchasing the requisite equipment. This past W/E I decided to
                    > take the plunge and start my first sugar wash with Prestige Turbo 8.
                    > When I took the initial SG, the Hydrometer read 1.12 @ 32 deg C.
                    > Rather then do the temp conversion, I decided to wait for the sample
                    > to cool to 20 deg. However, when the sample was 20 deg, the HD
                    > reading went off the scale. ie: 1.12 is the first defined measure
                    > on the scale. The Hydrometer settled below this at a faint line
                  • Lindsay Williams
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 3, 2005
                      Like Moose says, turbos are very easy and repeatable. That said, it is
                      strange that yours is taking so long to produce CO2. Mine starts
                      within 20 minutes! As Harry has pointed out many times, check that
                      your fermenter isn't leaking the gas out somewhere else. I know that
                      if I tighten my lid too much it makes it leak.

                      Your idea to train on water is not really much of an idea IMHO. The
                      still behaves so differently that I can only see you learning the
                      wrong things and, perhaps, getting confused. An alcohol mix is easier
                      and is the only way you can learn the art when all is said and done.
                      It will take at least four runs to get a good idea of how to control
                      your still (and most of us, even a lot more!). But your first run
                      should be OK'ish if you follow the basics. Being a commercial still it
                      should work!!

                      Good luck and let's know how you go.

                      Cheers,
                      Lindsay.

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Donald Ross <donald.ross@r...>

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 3, 2005
                          <donald.ross@r...> wrote:
                          > I don't know why it took so long to start. Everything's fine
                          now. This am. I timed 15 CO2 escapes (for lack of a better phrase
                          when the air lock 'bobs') per min. What temp do you usually pitch
                          your yeast at? The instructions said less than 30 C. I was closer
                          to 20. Maybe it was the cooler start?? You're right about not
                          really learning anything from distilling water. I realised that
                          almost as soon as I hit the 'Send' on that reply. I do want to
                          distill my own water for future washes though...

                          > Thanks for the encouragement. I'll defininately keep you all up
                          to date.

                          > Cheers...
                          >
                          > Don

                          The slow start was due to the 20°C startup. 25+ is more suitable.

                          re the distilled water. DO NOT under any circumstances use
                          distilled water for washes. Plain water contains dissolved oxygen,
                          nutrients, metallic elements etc. all of which yeast needs to
                          establish a colony. Distilled water has none. It is DEAD, and so
                          will your wash be.

                        • Donald Ross

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                              My Still Spirits Turbo is pitched at 35 deg C. This is what the yeast
                              is designed for. You must always stick to what the manufacturer
                              specifies for best performance. Check what Prestige says and pitch at
                              that temp and you will be amazed at the difference in its get up and go!

                              wrote:
                              > I don't know why it took so long to start. Everything's fine now.
                              This am. I timed 15 CO2 escapes (for lack of a better phrase when the
                              air lock 'bobs') per min. What temp do you usually pitch your yeast
                              at? The instructions said less than 30 C. I was closer to 20. Maybe
                              it was the cooler start?? You're right about not really learning
                              anything from distilling water. I realised that almost as soon as I
                              hit the 'Send' on that reply. I do want to distill my own water for
                              future washes though...

                              > Thanks for the encouragement. I'll defininately keep you all up to
                              date.

                              > Cheers...
                              >
                              > Don
                              >
                              > Lindsay Williams <linw@x...> wrote:
                              > Like Moose says, turbos are very easy and repeatable. That said, it is
                              > strange that yours is taking so long to produce CO2. Mine starts
                              > within 20 minutes! As Harry has pointed out many times, check that
                              > your fermenter isn't leaking the gas out somewhere else. I know that
                              > if I tighten my lid too much it makes it leak.
                              >
                              > Your idea to train on water is not really much of an idea IMHO. The
                              > still behaves so differently that I can only see you learning the
                              > wrong things and, perhaps, getting confused. An alcohol mix is easier
                              > and is the only way you can learn the art when all is said and done.
                              > It will take at least four runs to get a good idea of how to control
                              > your still (and most of us, even a lot more!). But your first run
                              > should be OK'ish if you follow the basics. Being a commercial still it
                              > should work!!
                              >
                              > Good luck and let's know how you go.
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              > Lindsay.

                            • Mark
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose"
                                <tonkay1@y...> wrote:

                                I like to
                                > use finings to clear it - but some folks don't.

                                I'm on the fence about finings. I do it just because I'm anal. I
                                just don't know, and I keep good logs. Based on taste alone - it
                                SEEMS like finings help grain ferments for whiskey a lot, but also
                                SEEM to help sugar vodkas. I can't measure a difference in yield of
                                drinkable products though. Do you use polyclear?

                                Mark
                              • Mark
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                                  > re the distilled water. DO NOT under any circumstances use
                                  > distilled water for washes. Plain water contains dissolved oxygen,
                                  > nutrients, metallic elements etc. all of which yeast needs to
                                  > establish a colony. Distilled water has none. It is DEAD, and so
                                  > will your wash be.
                                  >

                                  > Slainte!
                                  > regards Harry

                                  I think boiled water is also very low in O2. I use an aquarium pump &
                                  stone, but I'm told that an agressive stirring will do just as well.

                                  Mark
                                • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                                    Very strong and brute downpour of cold water from a household faucet or garden hose is usually enough for me.

                                    I think boiled water is also very low in O2. I use an aquarium pump & stone, but I'm told that an agressive stirring will do just as well.
                                    Mark

                                    Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
                                    http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                                  • Snowblind Moose
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 4, 2005
                                      Hi Mark,

                                      I've used several different finings and clearing agents. The ones that
                                      work best for me are the two part finings. The packet I've been using
                                      lately comes from Brewhaus. It says "Kieselsol Fining A" on one pouch,
                                      and "Chitosan Fining B" on the other. You add the 1st, let it stand an
                                      hour, then add the second. I've used other brands of the same type of
                                      two part finings with equal success. It sure keeps the sediment on the
                                      bottom during racking - but like you, I'm not sure it's essential!

                                      Cheers,
                                      -Tony

                                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <highabv@y...> wrote:
                                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose"
                                      > <tonkay1@y...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > I like to
                                      > > use finings to clear it - but some folks don't.
                                      >

                                      > I'm on the fence about finings. I do it just because I'm anal. I
                                      > just don't know, and I keep good logs. Based on taste alone - it
                                      > SEEMS like finings help grain ferments for whiskey a lot, but also
                                      > SEEM to help sugar vodkas. I can't measure a difference in yield of
                                      > drinkable products though. Do you use polyclear?
                                      >
                                      > Mark
                                    • Mark
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 6, 2005
                                        Lindsay, do you use a starter for the yeast?

                                        Mark

                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>
                                        wrote:
                                        > My Still Spirits Turbo is pitched at 35 deg C. This is what the yeast
                                        > is designed for. You must always stick to what the manufacturer
                                        > specifies for best performance. Check what Prestige says and pitch at
                                        > that temp and you will be amazed at the difference in its get up and
                                        go!

                                        > Cheers,
                                        > Lindsay.

                                      • Lindsay Williams
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 8, 2005
                                          Nope. I just tip the packet straight in and thrash the hell out of it
                                          with a plastic paddle/stirrer to mix it in and get some oxygen into
                                          the water. Just standard practice for turbos.

                                          Cheers,
                                          Lindsay.