Re: Scotch flavours

  • Sven Pfitt
    Message 1 of 23 , May 2, 2005
      The temperataure vs taste thing is very true for beer and most other
      alcoholic beveages as well.

      Esters and othere volotile compounds do not release from solution as
      well when cold. These compounds are detected by sense of smell, and
      intrepreted as taste (hence the poor ability to taste when one has a
      cold).

      ABV in part determines solubility of the compounds in the drink. add
      water and release the aroma as many compounds are not as soluble in
      water as they are in alcohol.

      55% vs 40% may in part be the concentration of alcohol effecting the
      sense of taste. Try some neutral alcohol diluted to the same two
      concentrations and see how they are sensed. I suspect your buddies
      will prefer the 40% over the 55% and attribute some of the sharpness
      to the concentration itself.

      Sven

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <highabv@y...> wrote:
      > I hesitate posting on this, cause it seems obvious to me now. But
      > it wasn't when I started.
      >
      > As stated below, I believe that taste is not only a personal
      > subjective measurement but it is also sensitive to serving
      > temperature and %abv.
      >
      > I'm amazed at how differently whiskeys and vodkas taste depending
      on
      > if they are served neat or on the rocks. Personally I like less
      oak
      > flavor if served at room temperature, but want more if it's served
      > on ice. And like Harry said, the difference is less with each
      > successive shot.
      >
      > And I still don't understand why the same techniques that make a
      > very good 80 proof whiskey do not translate to making a good 100
      > proof whiskey. My buddies love the 80 proof, but we all find the
      > 100 proof stuff just too damn harsh (compared to Wild Turkey).
      >

      > (snipity snip)
      ....snip....
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <thegimp98@y...>
        wrote:
        snip

        55% vs 40% may in part be the concentration of alcohol effecting the
        sense of taste. Try some neutral alcohol diluted to the same two
        concentrations and see how they are sensed. I suspect your buddies
        will prefer the 40% over the 55% and attribute some of the sharpness
        to the concentration itself.

        Sven

        good idea. that would show how much the "harsh" is due to abv alone.
        I'll try it on the group next weekend.
      • Ian
        Message 3 of 23 , May 10, 2005
          Still Spirits have just released a kit with many
          different flavours and much scope for experimentation.
          Looks interesting. Its called a Whisky Profile Kit.
          Rgds Ian

          Discover Yahoo!
          http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html
        • Tom
          Message 4 of 23 , May 4, 2010
            Harry,

            I am working on "scotch" flavoring some of my first neutral spirit. I intend to make your peatreek (message # 15749)for adding the flavor. I secured some heavily toasted oak from my wine supply shop so that should do for the oak part. I am worried about over toasting the peat. I have a camp oven (with temperature indicator). I intend to set it up outside and will toast the tin of peat inside the oven. Can you (or anyone) suggest a proper temperature and time for toasting the tin of peat? I am concerned that if I try to toast it with a torch, I might under toast or over toast it.

            Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

            Tom

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > Harry, how exactly do you leach garden peat and what would I be
            > looking for at my garden center? Thanks, Rana
            >

            > What you need is "essence of peatreek" (my name for it, so don't try
            > to find it in a store) :-)
            >
            > (SNIP)
            > You can easily trap these phenols to be used in measurable
            > quantities by making an "essence". Take a handful each of peat and
            > oak shavings, put them in a tin (or 'can' to the Stateside folk).
            > Loosely fit a lid, then flame the tin with a torch for a couple of
            > minutes. This will toast the oak and extract the phenols from the
            > peat which in turn will stick to the toasted oak. DON'T charcoal
            > the oak, just toast it.
            >
            > Leave the lid on, and set the tin aside for a few minutes to cool,
            > as the next step uses high abv alcohol, and you don't want it to
            > catch fire.
            >
            > (SNIP)
            >
            > HTH
            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

          • tgfoitwoods
            Message 5 of 23 , May 5, 2010
              Tom,

              I'm not sure how it'll work for you, but it's taken multiply tries for me to get the smokiness right. I put the peat and oak shavings (made with a hand plane from barrel staves)in a tin tea box that has had its paint cooked off. I put that in my gas (covered) grill, and lest it run for maybe 2 hours, and it still wasn't as much smoke as I'd like.

              Next time, I'll go for more time, let it cool completely, and test it by nose. Them, if needed, I'll give it more time. Also, maybe it's time for me to try our local "beach peat", a semi-hard compressed peat that comes out from underneath our sand cliffs at the shore.

              Sorry I don't have a simple answer.

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomhawk412@...> wrote:

              > Harry,
              >
              > I am working on "scotch" flavoring some of my first neutral spirit. I intend to make your peatreek (message # 15749)for adding the flavor. I secured some heavily toasted oak from my wine supply shop so that should do for the oak part. I am worried about over toasting the peat. I have a camp oven (with temperature indicator). I intend to set it up outside and will toast the tin of peat inside the oven. Can you (or anyone) suggest a proper temperature and time for toasting the tin of peat? I am concerned that if I try to toast it with a torch, I might under toast or over toast it.
              >
              > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
              >
              > Tom

              ----snip----
            • Tom
              Message 6 of 23 , May 5, 2010
                Z Bob,

                Thanks for the advice. I'm about to try my camp oven. I think I'll just pick a temperature and try for different time intervals. I will report the results.

                Thanks,

                Tom

                > Tom,
                >
                > I'm not sure how it'll work for you, but it's taken multiply tries for me to get the smokiness right. I put the peat and oak shavings (made with a hand plane from barrel staves)in a tin tea box that has had its paint cooked off. I put that in my gas (covered) grill, and lest it run for maybe 2 hours, and it still wasn't as much smoke as I'd like.
                >
                > Next time, I'll go for more time, let it cool completely, and test it by nose. Them, if needed, I'll give it more time. Also, maybe it's time for me to try our local "beach peat", a semi-hard compressed peat that comes out from underneath our sand cliffs at the shore.
                >
                > Sorry I don't have a simple answer.
                >
                > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                >
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomhawk412@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Harry,
                > >
                > > I am working on "scotch" flavoring some of my first neutral spirit. I intend to make your peatreek (message # 15749)for adding the flavor. I secured some heavily toasted oak from my wine supply shop so that should do for the oak part. I am worried about over toasting the peat. I have a camp oven (with temperature indicator). I intend to set it up outside and will toast the tin of peat inside the oven. Can you (or anyone) suggest a proper temperature and time for toasting the tin of peat? I am concerned that if I try to toast it with a torch, I might under toast or over toast it.
                > >
                > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
                > >
                > > Tom

              • tgfoitwoods
                Message 7 of 23 , May 5, 2010