Cloudy distillate from macerated orange

  • fatdogspirits
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2005
      I have made several distillations from a maceration of citrus fruit to
      create flavored vodka. I actually macerate the fruit in high proof
      neutral spirit for several days and then redistill it. Successful ones
      have been key lime, kumquat, and red grapefruit. However both orange
      varietals (tangerine and pineapple orange) I have tried become cloudy
      when I add water to dilute to drinking proof. I followed the same
      procedures as the other citrus making cuts on heads and tails based on
      smell and taste.

      It seems there are solids ending up in the orange distillations that
      did not occur in the other.

      Any thoughts as to reason and how to correct?
    • grayson_stewart66
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 28, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fatdogspirits"
        <fatdogspirits@e...> wrote:

        However both orange
        > varietals (tangerine and pineapple orange) I have tried become cloudy
        > when I add water to dilute to drinking proof.

        I have encountered the cloudy spirits with citrus when macerating the
        outer skin without the white pith to create a flvored spirit and
        attribute it to wax that could be placed on the orange skins.
        However, I don't think the wax would come across if you are
        re-distilling what you have macerated. Just throwing that out there,
        sorry that its no help.
      • pieterpst
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 28, 2005
          First of all I have to admit that I haven't got any experience using
          citrus fruits but it sounds like there are etheric oils in your product.

          There is a dutch website which describes this. It says that the etheric
          oils can dissolve in alcohol and not in water. Adding alcohol will
          solve the cloudyness (duh!) otherwise you should use bentoniet (2 grams
          per liter). Bentoniet is a sort of clay.

          Hope this helps ......