Re: [new_distillers] Re: Mini-Still Pictures-drawings-recipe RE:marbles

  • jmsmckenna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 26 4:15 PM
      im running an ARC with a five an a half foot 2 inch column packed with
      marbles its producing product at about 92% so marbles arent too bad,scrubbers
      might be more efficient but im very happy with my marbles

    • stevolate
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 26 5:59 PM
        If you use copper packing your distillate will be 95.5%.
        It would also be a better tasting product.
        Just try it and post your results.

        Happy drinking

        Stevo

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 26 7:02 PM
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@y...>
          wrote:

          > If you use copper packing your distillate will be 95.5%.
          > It would also be a better tasting product.
          > Just try it and post your results.
          >
          > Happy drinking
          >
          > Stevo
          >

          > > im running an ARC with a five an a half foot 2 inch column
          packed with
          > > marbles its producing product at about 92% so marbles arent too
          > bad,scrubbers
          > > might be more efficient but im very happy with my marbles

          Not only that. Copper or steel wool packing would allow you to
          reduce the height of the column by half and you'd still get higher
          than you do now.
          See Tony's calculator...
          http://homedistiller.org/refluxdesign.htm#hetp

        • X X
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 27 12:58 AM
            My First Design for the Mini Still was Pot still and was attached using a 1/2" coupling, i Currently have my reflux connected and running a test run. Im using cut up Plate copper for packing. Its really heavy, Doesnt have as much surface area as copper pads but i think it will work just as well. the reflux design works off of the Copper pads absorbing the from the alchol and transfering to the walls of the column. The copper is about a 1/16th of an inch thick and cut in 1/4 inch squares. Seems to run a really high proof.

            wrote:

            > If you use copper packing your distillate will be 95.5%.
            > It would also be a better tasting product.
            > Just try it and post your results.
            >
            > Happy drinking
            >
            > Stevo
            >

            > > im running an ARC with a five an a half foot 2 inch column
            packed with
            > > marbles its producing product at about 92% so marbles arent too
            > bad,scrubbers
            > > might be more efficient but im very happy with my marbles

            Not only that. Copper or steel wool packing would allow you to
            reduce the height of the column by half and you'd still get higher
            than you do now.
            See Tony's calculator...
            http://homedistiller.org/refluxdesign.htm#hetp

          • richutchings
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 27 1:02 AM
              Why do you think that?

              _____

              Im using cut up Plate copper for packing. Its really heavy, Doesnt have as
              much surface area as copper pads but i think it will work just as well.

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • X X
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 27 1:08 AM
                The idea of reflux is to have a little of the Incoming distillate condensate within the reflux, trickle down the hot packing, Evaporate, then when enough of the reflux distilate has gone threw the column cooling it down by evaporation; the final product can then exit the column and packing threw the condenser.
                With my packing, It allows the alcohol steam to dump its heat into the packing and turn to liquid. Therefore, it refluxs within the column.

                richutchings <richutchings@...> wrote:
                Why do you think that?

                _____

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 27 4:06 AM
                  No amount of theorising will make bits of copper work as well as
                  structured copper or scrubbers. Your packing does not have anywhere
                  near the surface area and liquid holding capacity. Visit the Links
                  section and do some searching/reading. Packing has been covered
                  hundreds of times.

                  Cheers,
                  Lindsay.

                • BFY51@prankster13.fsnet.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 27 4:39 AM
                    watch out for cheap scrubbers, there not SS, I went 1/2 and 1/2 with copper
                    and what I thought were SS scrubbers the SS went rusty, brown cack in the
                    product.
                    I Bought a 1lb of copper mesh from mile high, no messing 1st try good gear.
                  • jmsmckenna@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 27 5:27 AM
                      In a message dated 27/04/2005 12:07:10 GMT Daylight Time, linw@...
                      writes:

                      No amount of theorising will make bits of copper work as well as
                      structured copper or scrubbers. Your packing does not have anywhere
                      near the surface area and liquid holding capacity. Visit the Links
                      section and do some searching/reading. Packing has been covered
                      hundreds of times.

                      Cheers,
                      Lindsay.

                      u forgot to mention marbles lol
                      jimmy

                    • X X

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 27 1:40 PM
                          In a message dated 4/27/05 3:35:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
                          asylum18909@... writes:

                          > First off, I know Copper scrubbers are better; I just Do not have time to
                          > buy them.Second, this is not my first still. i have 3m reflux still packed
                          > with scrubbers.
                          >
                          > jmsmckenna@... wrote:
                          > In a message dated 27/04/2005 12:07:10 GMT Daylight Time, linw@...
                          > writes:
                          >
                          > No amount of theorising will make bits of copper work as well as
                          > structured copper or scrubbers. Your packing does not have anywhere
                          > near the surface area and liquid holding capacity. Visit the Links
                          > section and do some searching/reading. Packing has been covered
                          > hundreds of times.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > Lindsay.

                          aaaint this been batted around too many times in the last few days , lets git
                          to brewing whisky and sharing recipies and building good stills i just
                          finished ,today , a 45 inch high 2 inch copper ,valved reflux and it will be tested
                          next week,i just hope that it will do as good or better than the 91 % thru
                          tube reflux that every one cusses all the time , any still that suits the
                          particular need of a person should be thier decision.
                          Just my 1 1/2 cents werth from alabama the bootlegger capital of the werld

                          jesse jkirby007@...

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 27 2:35 PM
                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, X X <asylum18909@y...> wrote:
                            > First off, I know Copper scrubbers are better; I just Do not have
                            time to buy them.Second, this is not my first still. i have 3m reflux
                            still packed with scrubbers.

                            Erm...can't spare 2 minutes to pick them up during your normal food
                            shopping, but can find hours/days to make alcohol? ;-)