Re: Mini-Still Pictures-drawings-recipe-instructions

  • Lindsay Williams
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 26, 2005
      Copper is good for the reason you state. But if your still has other
      copper in the vapour path that may be enough. My column is SS so I use
      copper structured packing to give me the copper contact. Don't even
      think of marbles. They are just not efficient enough.

      Cheers,
      Lindsay.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, X X <asylum18909@y...> wrote:
      > Its Half inch in Diameter and 12 inches in lenght, I was thinking
      about using marbles or scouring pads. I read alot about the stainless
      steel ones and how they work well, But i read in another post saying
      that copper is best to remove the sulphides. Is this true?.

      > Snowblind Moose <tonkay1@y...> wrote:
      > Did you mean 12 in. X 1 1/2 in. instead of 12 in. X 1/2 in?
      >
      > In my mini-still (Alex's design) the column is 1 1/2 in. and I use the
      > suggested copper and stainless scrubbers. If your column is 1/2 in. -
      > then you could tear apart a copper scrubber and use the mesh rolled up -
      > or buy some copper mesh.
      >
      > -Tony
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ask" <asylum18909@y...> wrote:
      > >

      > > I built a Mini still out of a cleaned out Propane Bottle, Some
      > > copper, and Cleaver Pipe Sweating. My First prototype was a Pot
      > > still. My Second is a Reflux... I have yet to test the reflux Coloum
      > > (12 inches @ 1/2" copper) What type of packing should i use.

    • stevolate
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 26, 2005
        If the bottle is galvanized it is very poisonous.
        Don't use it.

        Stevo

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, X X <asylum18909@y...> wrote:
        > The type of propane Bottle i used is used for lanterns. I believe
        the inside of it is galvenized or has some type of anti corrosive
        material so far since i made it because i Cant see any rust in the bottem.