Re: Alternative cooling source!

  • jonkenny2006
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
      Hello

      I would be very pleased to get some pictures of the condensor that you
      are talking about...thanks for all the help. my email is :
      jon_kennedy@...

      Regards John

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...>
      wrote:
      > jonkenny2006 wrote
      >

      > Hello
      >
      > I'm wondering if anyone has tried to use something else than water
      as
      > cooling source to a traditional fractional still. For example a
      compressor
      > from a fridge or Peltier elements.
      >
      > I would really like to make a system that is not dependent on
      continuous
      > water supply. Or a water system that runs in "circle" with a pump.
      But I
      > believe it would be difficult to hold the temperature constant.
      >
      > I would be really happy for good suggestions:)
      > Regards John
      >

      > Hi John, http://archive.nnytech.net/sgroup/distillers/?
      keywords=peltier
      > <http://archive.nnytech.net/sgroup/distillers/?
      keywords=peltier&time=6months
      > &usertime=2002-12-31> &time=6months&usertime=2002-12-31
      >
      > Will take you to the archives, where I did a search for "Peltier".
      As to the
      > fridge compressor I even think someone has though of using one of
      those as
      > well.
      >

      > A lot of us run closed cooling systems using mainly water although
      one or
      > two actually use antifreeze. The reason we go this way is for cost
      and waste
      > of water. The biggest challenge with a closed loop system is head
      pressure
      > through the condenser, which is why most of us that have gone this
      route use
      > a shotgun or Liebig style condenser. if interested I can snap a
      couple of
      > photos off and email them direct.
      >

      > Yours in Spirit
      >

      > Robert

    • mickm2au
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Kehrlein <tom@k...>
        wrote:
        > Here's a link to a Peltier setup with a link to an article on
        building
        > an ice chest type cooler that I'll
        > bet could be adapted to a bucket of water!
        > Thomas
        >

        > Peltier Junction Thermo Electric Heat Pump
        > http://electronickits.com/kit/complete/peltier/ck500.htm

        The peltier device is only 50 watts and depending on its efficiecy
        will only remove something less than 50 watts of heat. Not enough
        for any usefull sized still I would think.

        Cheers,
        Mick