Re: [new_distillers] turbo yeast farming

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2005
      Hi King Pin,
      farming/harvesting turbos has problems that more
      standard sources do not:
      1. a major component in the packet is a mixture of
      nutrients. So you need to formulate this yourself
      (should be info out there somewhere - maybe even on
      the packet, I haven't looked recently)
      2. a major reason the yeasts work so well is not so
      much their strain as the way they are cultured. I
      suspect they have a very high glycogen content. This
      is important for rapid starting and protection against
      osmotic shock.
      One way of getting high glycogen yeasts is to feed
      them portionwise sugars while giving them plenty of
      oxygen. However, you end up with a lot of healthy
      yeast that has temporarily forgotten how to ferment.
      You can also tune yeasts to alcohol tolerance by
      fermenting to higher and higher abv batchwise.
      Unfortunately, they now ferment to high alcohol, but
      they are knackered due to low glycogen levels, and
      will ferment slowly.

      Upshot is, I haven't tried it, and can't be bothered
      to. The only thing the yeast has going for it is speed
      (so relax, have a homebrew and wait a little longer)
      and alc tolerance (get a bigger boiler). There are far
      more interesting yeasts out there that will add
      flavour to your product - like the "potstillers"
      yeast.

      If you really must try, then I suggest using lots of
      reused yeast and feed it up to the total amount of
      sugar in say 3-4 additions.

      Hope this helps,
      Rob.

      http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo