turbo yeast farming

  • king pin
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2005
      I've read some interesting articles about yeast farming. I'm curious whether any have had good success with it? Specifically in regard to farming turbo's. Appreciate any info to feed my ever inquisitive curiosity. :))

      Regards,
      KP

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2005
        Hi King Pin,
        farming/harvesting turbos has problems that more
        standard sources do not:
        1. a major component in the packet is a mixture of
        nutrients. So you need to formulate this yourself
        (should be info out there somewhere - maybe even on
        the packet, I haven't looked recently)
        2. a major reason the yeasts work so well is not so
        much their strain as the way they are cultured. I
        suspect they have a very high glycogen content. This
        is important for rapid starting and protection against
        osmotic shock.
        One way of getting high glycogen yeasts is to feed
        them portionwise sugars while giving them plenty of
        oxygen. However, you end up with a lot of healthy
        yeast that has temporarily forgotten how to ferment.
        You can also tune yeasts to alcohol tolerance by
        fermenting to higher and higher abv batchwise.
        Unfortunately, they now ferment to high alcohol, but
        they are knackered due to low glycogen levels, and
        will ferment slowly.

        Upshot is, I haven't tried it, and can't be bothered
        to. The only thing the yeast has going for it is speed
        (so relax, have a homebrew and wait a little longer)
        and alc tolerance (get a bigger boiler). There are far
        more interesting yeasts out there that will add
        flavour to your product - like the "potstillers"
        yeast.

        If you really must try, then I suggest using lots of
        reused yeast and feed it up to the total amount of
        sugar in say 3-4 additions.

        Hope this helps,
        Rob.

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo