Re: [new_distillers] Re: cloudy diluted spirit

  • king pin
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 3, 2005
      If you don't mind me asking Whynda, what process did you use? Dilute first, then add other ingredients? I'm curious how you maintained the clarity.

      Txs,
      KP

      whynda <hstuiber@...> wrote:

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...
      > wrote:
      > What about soaking the peel after diluting.
      > Nothing insoluble (that will cause clouding) will
      > disolve at this strength.
      > ? too obvious, I'm sure. Any experience out there?
      > Rob.
      >
      > Greetings all,
      I made a "Limoncello" out of all limes, no lemons at all and I did it
      at drinking strength, about 25%, it took a little longer to do but the
      flavour is just out of this world and the brew is a beautiful clear
      yellow. (no specimen jokes please)
      Regards

    • whynda
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
        <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
        > If you don't mind me asking Whynda, what process did you use? Dilute
        first, then add other ingredients? I'm curious how you maintained the
        clarity.

        > Txs,
        > KP

        G'day Kingpin
        yep, diluted it first to the required strenth, about 25%, then used
        about 7 limes which I washed in detergent and warm water with a soft
        scrubbing brush. I rinsed the washed limes and dried them then zested
        them using a tool I found in a kitchen appliance shop called a
        "Microplane", a thing sort of like a surform file but a lot sharper.
        Because the strength was down to 25% it took longer to extract all the
        flavours and colours. At no time was the breew ever cloudy. When it
        was filtered I added glucose syrup and sugar to taste ..... Cheers.
        hope this has been of help
      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4, 2005
          If the cloudiness is due to essential oils, increase the a.b.v. to
          50% or greater - water causes them to precipitate.
          wal
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>