Re: [new_distillers] Pictures of Oak

  • Lmemarime
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
      Just type Quercus Alba into your search and it will give you alot of links for it.

    • don1lia2joe3
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2005
        I know this post is over a week old but maybe I can help you
        understand something.

        Oak, White oak in particular contains tannic acid, This "tannic" is
        where the term Tanning came from when refering to tanned leather.
        The tannic acid is more than just a preservative, it works on a
        molecular level on what it reacts with, because it is an acid it
        oxidizes the alcohol.

        Tannic acid is bitter to the taste, do not add it to your alcohol!

        Oak barrels were charred inside to form carbon which they thought
        would filter out the bitter taste of the tannic acid, and in fact it
        did/does.

        Now what exactly the burnt oak does for the alcohol is to allow the
        alcohol to react with the tannic acid which oxidizes the alcohol
        causing it to age and at the same time filtering out the bitterness
        of the tannic acid. At the same time it does add some flavor of the
        oak but it is a different taste than just chewing on oak.

        The oak needs to be aged a year or more before use to dry out some
        of the moisture or you will get to much color/flavor/bitterness in
        your alcohol

        Now I am not a scientist, I learned all this from stories from
        oldtimers but it makes sense to me.

        Don

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alex _{*L*}_ \(a.k.a.
        BOKAKOB\)" <bokakob@y...> wrote:

        > > I would like to ask someone who knows this subject to post a few
        pictures of suitable oak trees and its leaves in the photos or files
        section, please. This way I will be able to collect some of the
        branches, dry, cut and cook them.

        > Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
        > http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2005
          BOKAKOB\)" <bokakob@y...> wrote:

          > Everyone is talking oak these days. I think after reading so much
          about "oaking" and "aging" I am ripe enough to try. >

          Alex:
          I've bought bag chips before- most chips were oak, but some chips
          were NOT oak.

          I've been using oak on neutral spirits since the late 1990's. A
          buddy of mine that makes oak furniture provides me the chips from
          board lumber that he selects for projects. So I know the source.
          Maybe you can find a similar source.

          I toast mine in a homemade heated vacuum chamber, at the lower
          middle end of the temperature range suggested on Tony's site.

          The abv of the spirit that you're aging affects the finished taste.
          I don't understand why. I oak flavor with 50abv, then cut to 40abv
          for drinking. It's a different taste than directly oaking directly
          on 40abv.

          I also thermal cycle the immersion. 2 days in the fridge, then 2
          days in the warmest place in the house. Repeat for 2 weeks. This
          seems to double the flavor extracted.

          If it's too "oak - ey" (is that a word?), I cut with neutral.

          In January I placed a folder in the files section of this group -
          this shows how I do it.

          I've tried different woods:
          untoasted white oak - good, a touch astringent
          mesquite - not good
          hickery - strange and different, smelled stronger than it tasted.
          apple - not bad, but bitter and sharp.
        • Alex _{*L*}_ (a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9, 2005
            Thak you, Mark. Regarding different flavors at different spirit strength -- I think the more alcohol you have in the mix the more it tries to pull in water out of oak.
            At the same time that water carries over dilluted flavor additives.

            Mark <highabv@...> wrote:The abv of the spirit that you're aging affects the finished taste. I don't understand why.

            Alex_{*L*}_(a.k.a. BOKAKOB)
            http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

          • donald holcombe