Re: [new_distillers] Re: cloudy diluted spirit

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2005
      What about soaking the peel after diluting.
      Nothing insoluble (that will cause clouding) will
      disolve at this strength.
      ? too obvious, I'm sure. Any experience out there?
      Rob.

      --- morganfield1 <morganfield1@...> wrote:

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
      > <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
      > The taste still remains very nice but the
      > colour....ugh...
      > ======================================
      >
      > Just turn the lights off when you drink it, tell her
      > "it soften's the
      > mood"
      >
      > Morgan

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Messenger
    • Lindsay Williams
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2005
        Limoncello is made that way and certainly is cloudy. That's the only
        way it can be with the citrus oils. So drink it as is and be happy!

        Cheers,
        Lindsay.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
        <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
        > I hadn't considered the oils from the tangerene peels, ty Levi.
        I'll leave the spirit as is, regardless of the ABV when adding
        ingredients that may release oils in the future. The taste still
        remains very nice but the colour....ugh...

        > KP
        >
        > Levi Langershank <unit_77@h...> wrote:
        >
        > Ahhh...I would suspect the Orange oils...if thats the case,just drink
        > it.....its not gonna hurt...JMPO...:>)
        > Levi
        >
        > (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)
        > >From: king pin
        > >Subject: RE: [new_distillers] cloudy diluted spirit
        > >Txs for the replies Cary, Roderick, Levi,
        > >
        > I had originally had the spirit sitting with mandarine peels for
        colour and
        > flavour. >KP

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Kim
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2005
          I have tried orange, lemon, and lime peels and they all make a great
          tasting liquor.

          I soaked the peels at 95% for 3 days to get the flavor.

          When I cut them to 40% they all went cloudy from the citrus oils....

          I know leave them all at 95% and where they stay crystal clear with
          the associated color of course......and use it carefully.

          the orange is by far the best...

          I also re distilled some of the orange and found that the strong
          flavor comes over in the distillate.

          Kim

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
          <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
          > What about soaking the peel after diluting.
          > Nothing insoluble (that will cause clouding) will
          > disolve at this strength.
          > ? too obvious, I'm sure. Any experience out there?
          > Rob.
          >
          > --- morganfield1 <morganfield1@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
          > > <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
          > > The taste still remains very nice but the
          > > colour....ugh...
          > > ======================================
          > >
          > > Just turn the lights off when you drink it, tell her
          > > "it soften's the
          > > mood"
          > >
          > > Morgan

          > __________________________________
          > Yahoo! Messenger
        • whynda
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 3, 2005
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...
            > wrote:
            > What about soaking the peel after diluting.
            > Nothing insoluble (that will cause clouding) will
            > disolve at this strength.
            > ? too obvious, I'm sure. Any experience out there?
            > Rob.
            >
            > Greetings all,
            I made a "Limoncello" out of all limes, no lemons at all and I did it
            at drinking strength, about 25%, it took a little longer to do but the
            flavour is just out of this world and the brew is a beautiful clear
            yellow. (no specimen jokes please)
            Regards
          • king pin
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3, 2005
              If you don't mind me asking Whynda, what process did you use? Dilute first, then add other ingredients? I'm curious how you maintained the clarity.

              Txs,
              KP

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 4, 2005
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
                <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
                > If you don't mind me asking Whynda, what process did you use? Dilute
                first, then add other ingredients? I'm curious how you maintained the
                clarity.

                > Txs,
                > KP

                G'day Kingpin
                yep, diluted it first to the required strenth, about 25%, then used
                about 7 limes which I washed in detergent and warm water with a soft
                scrubbing brush. I rinsed the washed limes and dried them then zested
                them using a tool I found in a kitchen appliance shop called a
                "Microplane", a thing sort of like a surform file but a lot sharper.
                Because the strength was down to 25% it took longer to extract all the
                flavours and colours. At no time was the breew ever cloudy. When it
                was filtered I added glucose syrup and sugar to taste ..... Cheers.
                hope this has been of help
              • waljaco
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 4, 2005
                  If the cloudiness is due to essential oils, increase the a.b.v. to
                  50% or greater - water causes them to precipitate.
                  wal
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>