thoughts on yeast

  • Wes
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
      I just follow the instructions on the packets and exept for the last
      batch getting to cold life's been good.
      I started brewing beer 25 years ago and originally did it by boiling
      hops, malt etc and using a hydrometer and thermometer. Messy and time
      consuming.
      I stopped using hydrometers and associated equiptment when the kits
      came out, just put all the ingredients in the fermenter and keep it at
      the recomended temp (inside winter - garage summer) then wait until it
      stops bubbling and then keg it whenever time or thirst permits.
      Guess what i'm saying is i'm a convert to the KISS principal and it
      works for me.
      Cheers
      Wes
    • Lindsay Williams
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2005
        That's a novel idea! Must admit I generally do the same.

        Cheers,
        Lindsay.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Wes" <fourtysouth@y...> wrote:

        > I just follow the instructions on the packets snip..
        > Wes
      • Wes
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2005
          AHHHHHHHH.......... famous last words i knew it would come back and
          bite me.
          The last batch was made to instructions on the yeast packet (still
          spirits turbo yeast), wrapped in the electric blanket and pampered.
          It worked its business like usual. But when it was opened it is Pink
          in colour, been sitting for a few days and shows no sign of changing
          or clearing.
          Finished sg is 986.
          Any ideas as to why and what.
          Cheers
          Wes

          In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x> wrote:

          > That's a novel idea! Must admit I generally do the same.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Lindsay.
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Wes" <fourtysouth@y...>
          wrote:

          > > I just follow the instructions on the packets snip..
          > > Wes
        • Cary Rhodes
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2005
            somebody's been making wine in your bucket.

            cary r

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2005
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Wes" <fourtysouth@y...> wrote:

              > AHHHHHHHH.......... famous last words i knew it would come back and
              > bite me.
              > The last batch was made to instructions on the yeast packet (still
              > spirits turbo yeast), wrapped in the electric blanket and pampered.
              > It worked its business like usual. But when it was opened it is Pink
              > in colour, been sitting for a few days and shows no sign of changing
              > or clearing.
              > Finished sg is 986.
              > Any ideas as to why and what.
              > Cheers
              > Wes

              That's not uncommon with Still Spirits turbos. It's just yeast in
              suspension. Will take a couple weeks to clear. You can do it a bit
              quicker by racking to another fermenter.

            • Lindsay Williams
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
                Congratulations, you have just made another 'spot on' wash! I use SS
                turbo, too, and mine goes pinkish and stops at 0.986, too. Touche!

                Another victory for following instructions!!!