thoughts on yeast

  • greg
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
      One of my hobbies is farming, and i raise chickens
      for eggs (organic free range chickens). My eggs are
      quite different than the eggs available at the local
      supermarket, deep yellow yolks etc.
      I raise the chickens for the byproduct (eggs). The breed
      of chicken and the way they are treated determines the
      outcome.
      To get higher numbers in eggs (equivalent to commercial
      producers), I would have to sacrifice organic free range,
      so it depends on what your after.
      Sound familiar?
      We raise yeast for a byproduct (alcohol). It requires food
      and a suitable environment in which to do well.
      Getting to know which yeast produces best under what
      circumstances should solve most mash problems.
      It gets to be a zen thing, much like farming.
      cheers
      greg
    • Levi Langershank
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
        Way back in my childhood,we raised 80-90% of the food we consumed.....we
        used to call them 'Rooster Eggs' because often there was an embryo forming
        on the yolk...once or twice there was feathers,but we didnt eat
        those....thanks for the trip down memory lane...:>)
        Levi

        (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)
        >From: "greg" <gregtufts@...>
        >>Subject: [new_distillers] thoughts on yeast
        >> One of my hobbies is farming, and i raise chickens
        >for eggs (organic free range chickens). My eggs are
        >quite different than the eggs available at the local
        >supermarket, deep yellow yolks etc.
        >cheers
        >greg

      • morganfield1
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregtufts@y...> wrote:

          > I raise the chickens for the byproduct (eggs). The breed
          > of chicken and the way they are treated determines the
          > outcome.
          > greg
          =======================================

          I raise a glass to Yeast Farmers everywhere!
          Tip one, Morgan
        • mickm2au
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregtufts@y...> wrote:

            > One of my hobbies is farming, and i raise chickens
            > for eggs (organic free range chickens). My eggs are
            > quite different than the eggs available at the local
            > supermarket, deep yellow yolks etc.
            > I raise the chickens for the byproduct (eggs). The breed
            > of chicken and the way they are treated determines the
            > outcome.
            > To get higher numbers in eggs (equivalent to commercial
            > producers), I would have to sacrifice organic free range,
            > so it depends on what your after.
            > Sound familiar?
            > We raise yeast for a byproduct (alcohol). It requires food
            > and a suitable environment in which to do well.
            > Getting to know which yeast produces best under what
            > circumstances should solve most mash problems.
            > It gets to be a zen thing, much like farming.
            > cheers
            > greg

            I agree with that Greg. You use what is best suited for your goals.
            Just because your goals maybe different from someone elses dosn't
            make them, or your methods, any less valid if they produce what you
            want.

            Cheers
            Mick
          • Wes
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
              I just follow the instructions on the packets and exept for the last
              batch getting to cold life's been good.
              I started brewing beer 25 years ago and originally did it by boiling
              hops, malt etc and using a hydrometer and thermometer. Messy and time
              consuming.
              I stopped using hydrometers and associated equiptment when the kits
              came out, just put all the ingredients in the fermenter and keep it at
              the recomended temp (inside winter - garage summer) then wait until it
              stops bubbling and then keg it whenever time or thirst permits.
              Guess what i'm saying is i'm a convert to the KISS principal and it
              works for me.
              Cheers
              Wes
            • Lindsay Williams
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2, 2005
                That's a novel idea! Must admit I generally do the same.

                Cheers,
                Lindsay.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Wes" <fourtysouth@y...> wrote:

                > I just follow the instructions on the packets snip..
                > Wes
              • Wes
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 2, 2005
                  AHHHHHHHH.......... famous last words i knew it would come back and
                  bite me.
                  The last batch was made to instructions on the yeast packet (still
                  spirits turbo yeast), wrapped in the electric blanket and pampered.
                  It worked its business like usual. But when it was opened it is Pink
                  in colour, been sitting for a few days and shows no sign of changing
                  or clearing.
                  Finished sg is 986.
                  Any ideas as to why and what.
                  Cheers
                  Wes

                  In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x> wrote:

                  > That's a novel idea! Must admit I generally do the same.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Lindsay.
                  >
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Wes" <fourtysouth@y...>
                  wrote:

                  > > I just follow the instructions on the packets snip..
                  > > Wes
                • Cary Rhodes
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 2, 2005
                    somebody's been making wine in your bucket.

                    cary r

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 3, 2005
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Wes" <fourtysouth@y...> wrote:

                      > AHHHHHHHH.......... famous last words i knew it would come back and
                      > bite me.
                      > The last batch was made to instructions on the yeast packet (still
                      > spirits turbo yeast), wrapped in the electric blanket and pampered.
                      > It worked its business like usual. But when it was opened it is Pink
                      > in colour, been sitting for a few days and shows no sign of changing
                      > or clearing.
                      > Finished sg is 986.
                      > Any ideas as to why and what.
                      > Cheers
                      > Wes

                      That's not uncommon with Still Spirits turbos. It's just yeast in
                      suspension. Will take a couple weeks to clear. You can do it a bit
                      quicker by racking to another fermenter.

                    • Lindsay Williams
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
                        Congratulations, you have just made another 'spot on' wash! I use SS
                        turbo, too, and mine goes pinkish and stops at 0.986, too. Touche!

                        Another victory for following instructions!!!