cloudy diluted spirit

  • king pin
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 30, 2005
      After diluting a large amount of product, with distilled water. It became insanely cloudy. I doubt the amount of tails would be so high as to cause this lvl of cloudyness. Any ideas what may have caused it or a possible solution, aside from re-distilling?

      KP

    • Cary Rhodes
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 31, 2005
        KP

        Minerals in the water maybe??

        Get yourself a Britta pitcher type water filter at the Wallmart Store.

        It may take several trips thru the pitcher, but it will clear up.

        Also make sure the mason jar is clean inside and out.

        cary

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
        <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
        > After diluting a large amount of product, with distilled water. It
        became insanely cloudy. I doubt the amount of tails would be so high
        as to cause this lvl of cloudyness. Any ideas what may have caused
        it or a possible solution, aside from re-distilling?

        > KP

      • Roderick Holmes
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 31, 2005
          Over the past few months I have heard a few explanations for "cloudy spirit". I'll pass them on to you.

          The first, cutting with water that is high in mineral content. Probably not true in your case since you diluted with distilled water. Distilled water is usually not suggested since it is tasteless. Drinking water made by the reverse osmosis method (most bottled drinking water that is not spring water) is the preferred water to dilute with.

          The second, getting too much tails in your distillate. The fussil oils stay dissolved in high ABV alcohol but precipitate out when diluted. Make your cuts earlier if this is the case.

          The third, use of some type of plastic or rubber in the distillation process or storage container. Some plastics dissolve a minute amount when exposed to high ABV alcohol. Common cause of this is using a non-chemical resistant tube off your condensor for collection. If you are using plastic for storage, those marked "PP" and "HDPE" are the most alcohol resistant. I use glass...

          Roderick

          Cary Rhodes <rhodeseng@...> wrote:

          KP

          Minerals in the water maybe??

          Get yourself a Britta pitcher type water filter at the Wallmart Store.

          It may take several trips thru the pitcher, but it will clear up.

          Also make sure the mason jar is clean inside and out.

          cary

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
          <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
          > After diluting a large amount of product, with distilled water. It
          became insanely cloudy. I doubt the amount of tails would be so high
          as to cause this lvl of cloudyness. Any ideas what may have caused
          it or a possible solution, aside from re-distilling?

          > KP

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Levi Langershank
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 31, 2005
            Did it stay cloudy?..how long?...try some spring/drinking water next
            time...distilled water has no taste/character....personally,I use the same
            spring water the wash is made from to dilute my hi ABV product....:>)
            Levi

            (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)

            >From: king pin <kingpin_kingpin2001@...>
            >Subject: [new_distillers] cloudy diluted spirit
            >After diluting a large amount of product, with distilled water. It became
            >insanely cloudy. I doubt the amount of tails would be so high as to cause
            >this lvl of cloudyness. Any ideas what may have caused it or a possible
            >solution, aside from re-distilling?
            >
            >KP

          • Levi Langershank
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 31, 2005
              Minerals dont distill...:>)
              Levi

              (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)

              >From: "Cary Rhodes" <rhodeseng@...>
              >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: cloudy diluted spirit
              >Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:25:21 -0000
              >Minerals in the water maybe??

            • king pin
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 31, 2005
                Txs for the replies Cary, Roderick, Levi,

                I thought distilled would be best because of purity. According to the specs, it has 0 PPM mineral salts, 0 PPM floride. Its odd to me because even my tap water, with the very same spirit, clouded initially somewhat, but cleared very quickly. Its been 24 hrs since dilution and shows no signs whatsoever of clearing.

                I use only glass containers and have no rubber/plastics per say, except connecting to and from the condensor.(whoops and 2 rubber gaskets). I know I should use cork but I didn't really think it would leach badly, if @ all. I had originally had the spirit sitting with mandarine peels for colour and flavour. I'd hate to have to run it through a brita as it would strip that flavour out, it did have a beautiful amber colour and great taste but if thats the only solution short of re-distilling, that may be the way to go.

                KP

                Levi Langershank <unit_77@...> wrote:

                Did it stay cloudy?..how long?...try some spring/drinking water next
                time...distilled water has no taste/character....personally,I use the same
                spring water the wash is made from to dilute my hi ABV product....:>)
                Levi

                (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)

                >From: king pin
                >Subject: [new_distillers] cloudy diluted spirit
                >After diluting a large amount of product, with distilled water. It became
                >insanely cloudy. I doubt the amount of tails would be so high as to cause
                >this lvl of cloudyness. Any ideas what may have caused it or a possible
                >solution, aside from re-distilling?
                >
                >KP

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Levi Langershank
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 31, 2005
                  Ahhh...I would suspect the Orange oils...if thats the case,just drink
                  it.....its not gonna hurt...JMPO...:>)
                  Levi

                  (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)
                  >From: king pin <kingpin_kingpin2001@...>
                  >Subject: RE: [new_distillers] cloudy diluted spirit
                  >Txs for the replies Cary, Roderick, Levi,

                  I had originally had the spirit sitting with mandarine peels for colour and
                  flavour. >KP

                • king pin
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 31, 2005
                    I hadn't considered the oils from the tangerene peels, ty Levi. I'll leave the spirit as is, regardless of the ABV when adding ingredients that may release oils in the future. The taste still remains very nice but the colour....ugh...

                    KP

                    Levi Langershank <unit_77@...> wrote:

                    Ahhh...I would suspect the Orange oils...if thats the case,just drink
                    it.....its not gonna hurt...JMPO...:>)
                    Levi

                    (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)
                    >From: king pin
                    >Subject: RE: [new_distillers] cloudy diluted spirit
                    >Txs for the replies Cary, Roderick, Levi,

                    I had originally had the spirit sitting with mandarine peels for colour and
                    flavour. >KP

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • morganfield1
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 31, 2005
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
                      <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
                      The taste still remains very nice but the colour....ugh...
                      ======================================

                      Just turn the lights off when you drink it, tell her "it soften's the
                      mood"

                      Morgan

                    • Robert Thomas
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 1, 2005
                        What about soaking the peel after diluting.
                        Nothing insoluble (that will cause clouding) will
                        disolve at this strength.
                        ? too obvious, I'm sure. Any experience out there?
                        Rob.

                        --- morganfield1 <morganfield1@...> wrote:

                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
                        > <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
                        > The taste still remains very nice but the
                        > colour....ugh...
                        > ======================================
                        >
                        > Just turn the lights off when you drink it, tell her
                        > "it soften's the
                        > mood"
                        >
                        > Morgan

                        __________________________________
                        Yahoo! Messenger
                      • Lindsay Williams
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 2, 2005
                          Limoncello is made that way and certainly is cloudy. That's the only
                          way it can be with the citrus oils. So drink it as is and be happy!

                          Cheers,
                          Lindsay.

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
                          <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
                          > I hadn't considered the oils from the tangerene peels, ty Levi.
                          I'll leave the spirit as is, regardless of the ABV when adding
                          ingredients that may release oils in the future. The taste still
                          remains very nice but the colour....ugh...

                          > KP
                          >
                          > Levi Langershank <unit_77@h...> wrote:
                          >
                          > Ahhh...I would suspect the Orange oils...if thats the case,just drink
                          > it.....its not gonna hurt...JMPO...:>)
                          > Levi
                          >
                          > (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)
                          > >From: king pin
                          > >Subject: RE: [new_distillers] cloudy diluted spirit
                          > >Txs for the replies Cary, Roderick, Levi,
                          > >
                          > I had originally had the spirit sitting with mandarine peels for
                          colour and
                          > flavour. >KP

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Kim
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 2, 2005
                            I have tried orange, lemon, and lime peels and they all make a great
                            tasting liquor.

                            I soaked the peels at 95% for 3 days to get the flavor.

                            When I cut them to 40% they all went cloudy from the citrus oils....

                            I know leave them all at 95% and where they stay crystal clear with
                            the associated color of course......and use it carefully.

                            the orange is by far the best...

                            I also re distilled some of the orange and found that the strong
                            flavor comes over in the distillate.

                            Kim

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
                            <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:
                            > What about soaking the peel after diluting.
                            > Nothing insoluble (that will cause clouding) will
                            > disolve at this strength.
                            > ? too obvious, I'm sure. Any experience out there?
                            > Rob.
                            >
                            > --- morganfield1 <morganfield1@y...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
                            > > <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
                            > > The taste still remains very nice but the
                            > > colour....ugh...
                            > > ======================================
                            > >
                            > > Just turn the lights off when you drink it, tell her
                            > > "it soften's the
                            > > mood"
                            > >
                            > > Morgan

                            > __________________________________
                            > Yahoo! Messenger
                          • whynda
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 3, 2005
                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...
                              > wrote:
                              > What about soaking the peel after diluting.
                              > Nothing insoluble (that will cause clouding) will
                              > disolve at this strength.
                              > ? too obvious, I'm sure. Any experience out there?
                              > Rob.
                              >
                              > Greetings all,
                              I made a "Limoncello" out of all limes, no lemons at all and I did it
                              at drinking strength, about 25%, it took a little longer to do but the
                              flavour is just out of this world and the brew is a beautiful clear
                              yellow. (no specimen jokes please)
                              Regards
                            • king pin
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 3, 2005
                                If you don't mind me asking Whynda, what process did you use? Dilute first, then add other ingredients? I'm curious how you maintained the clarity.

                                Txs,
                                KP

                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 4, 2005
                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
                                  <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
                                  > If you don't mind me asking Whynda, what process did you use? Dilute
                                  first, then add other ingredients? I'm curious how you maintained the
                                  clarity.

                                  > Txs,
                                  > KP

                                  G'day Kingpin
                                  yep, diluted it first to the required strenth, about 25%, then used
                                  about 7 limes which I washed in detergent and warm water with a soft
                                  scrubbing brush. I rinsed the washed limes and dried them then zested
                                  them using a tool I found in a kitchen appliance shop called a
                                  "Microplane", a thing sort of like a surform file but a lot sharper.
                                  Because the strength was down to 25% it took longer to extract all the
                                  flavours and colours. At no time was the breew ever cloudy. When it
                                  was filtered I added glucose syrup and sugar to taste ..... Cheers.
                                  hope this has been of help
                                • waljaco
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 4, 2005
                                    If the cloudiness is due to essential oils, increase the a.b.v. to
                                    50% or greater - water causes them to precipitate.
                                    wal
                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>