RE: [new_distillers] Re: still buggered

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28, 2005
      Wes when the yeast in the fermenter settles you then siphon off the clear
      fluid into the boiler leaving behind the yeast cake and any unused sugar
      from the stuck wash. Once the boiler has been filled, add another batch of
      water, sugar and turbo yeast to the fermenter, don't clean the fermenter
      out. Trust me, if it done straight away, there is no need to sterilise
      things. I do it this way regularly.

      Things are never as easy as they seem. The catch is if you have too much
      sugar left in the last yeast cake from the stuck wash this new batch won't
      finish to dryness (990) either. Your options are (1) only add 6~7kg of sugar
      this time around or (2) add 6kg of sugar float the hydrometer, obtain a
      reading then add enough sugar in small lots dissolving it along the way
      (stirring the wash) until you reach an specific gravity of ~1120 or (3)
      clean out the fermenter as per normal, follow the directions on the packet
      of turbo yeast and keep the temperature around 25 C.

      Yours in Spirit

      Robert

      _____

      Thanks all,
      just making sure that I have got it right.
      Let it sit and settle.
      Run it through with the heat as low as possible, just enough to keep
      on a gentle boil.
      Instead of tossing the slops, add to fermenter with the next amount
      of sugar and yeast while it is still warm.
      Enjoy the product of success.
      Cheers
      Wes

      In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
      wrote:

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > There is likely to be 10% etoh in it now so you could run it. You
      > > could also try restarting it with some more yeast (and
      nutrient?).
      > > Give it a good aerating stir and add some hydrated yeast.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Lindsay.
      >

      > DO NOT try to restart it. The alcohol content is too high, and
      > adding nutrient will only encourage bacterial infection. Run it
      as
      > is s-l-o-w-l-y so as not to burn any excess sugars. Use your
      spent
      > first-run slops to dissolve your next batch of sugar and wort.
      That