Building a pot still

  • kylemacken
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 27 7:54 PM
      Hi,

      I'm new to the group, and have read some of the information on
      distilling on the web. I worked with one of my friends to construct a
      pot still, but the results really were not adequate. I was wondering
      if anybody had any definite plans on how to build a pot still. If so,
      it would be greatly appreciated.

      Thank you,

      Kyle
    • Robert N
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 27 9:16 PM
        Hi Kyle, welcome aboard. Prepare for a long and interesting ride with this
        hobby. If you wander over to the left of screen to the "files and photo"
        sections of this yahoo site you will find many ideas and versions. Along
        with the achieves of every message written, we have a "Sister" site
        http://www.homedistiller.org/ which can be downloaded for your viewing
        pleasure. As for plans for a pot still, well most people just knock one
        together using whatever they can find.

        Yours in Spirit

        Robert

        _____

        I'm new to the group, and have read some of the information on
        distilling on the web. I worked with one of my friends to construct a
        pot still, but the results really were not adequate. I was wondering
        if anybody had any definite plans on how to build a pot still. If so,
        it would be greatly appreciated.

        Thank you,

        Kyle

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129q0alsh/M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1112069110/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:/www.n
        etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=groups/S=
        :HM/A=2593423/rand=221227960>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 27 10:13 PM
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kylemacken"
          <kylemacken@y...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm new to the group, and have read some of the information on
          > distilling on the web. I worked with one of my friends to
          construct a
          > pot still, but the results really were not adequate. I was
          wondering
          > if anybody had any definite plans on how to build a pot still. If
          so,
          > it would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thank you,
          >
          > Kyle

          Hi Kyle, I second what Robert said. There are plans for a potstill
          and a reflux still in the library.
          http://tinyurl.com/3rpbl

          If you choose to use this potstill design, P-L-E-A-S-E do NOT run
          the cooling tubes through the column. It buggers up the whole
          process of separation. Just route the condenser inlet & outlet
          without putting it through the column.

          Many have used this otherwise good plan, but have discovered that
          once built, mods need to be made to remove the cooling thru-tubes.

          The reflux still design in the same publication is fine.

        • Snowblind Moose
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 28 12:14 AM
            Hi Kyle, and welcome!

            As you may have gathered, this can be a very enjoyable and rewarding
            hobby.

            A pot still can be as simple as a kettle, a condenser, and some pipe
            to connect them. Kettles can be made from many items; paint pails,
            milk cans, beer kegs, pressure-cookers, stockpots etc. A condenser
            can be as simple as a plastic pail with a coil of soft copper pipe in
            it - to a more elaborate liebig condenser. It leaves lots of room to
            get creative!

            As others have said - a good start is reading the homedistiller.org
            web-site. You'll find many ideas, and an understanding of the
            principles there. If you have questions after that, then post them
            here and the group will be glad to oblige.

            Good Luck!

            -Tony

            > Hi,
            >
            > I'm new to the group, and have read some of the information on
            > distilling on the web. I worked with one of my friends to
            construct a
            > pot still, but the results really were not adequate. I was
            wondering
            > if anybody had any definite plans on how to build a pot still. If
            so,
            > it would be greatly appreciated.
            >
            > Thank you,
            >
            > Kyle
          • Still - Cooker
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 28 12:42 AM
              Hi Kyle,

              have a look at www.stillcooker.com for a true potstill!

              Have Fun!

              StillCooker, still cookin'
            • TruNatrschild@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 28 7:48 AM
                I just use a pressure cooker.

                Hi,

                I'm new to the group, and have read some of the information on
                distilling on the web. I worked with one of my friends to construct a
                pot still, but the results really were not adequate. I was wondering
                if anybody had any definite plans on how to build a pot still. If so,
                it would be greatly appreciated.

                Thank you,

                Kyle

                Only when the last tree has died
                and the last river has been poisoned
                and the last fish has been caught
                will we realize that we can't eat money.
                -Cree proverb

              • Dirk Howard
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 20 1:15 PM
                  Hi everyone. I am new to this list and new to the hobby of distilling.
                  My wife just bought me the book "Moonshine!" by Matthew B Rowley. I
                  just finished reading it last night. It was a very entertaining read.

                  In the book, the author gives some plans for building an
                  Appalachian-style pot still. It is a 6.75 gallon capacity boiler
                  fabricated from copper sheet by using copper rivets and brazed with a
                  silver/phosphorous/copper alloy.

                  I was wondering if anyone has built their own pot still from copper
                  sheet?

                  I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here and seeing just what
                  I can make at home.

                  Dirk
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 20 2:10 PM
                    Hey Dirk,

                    Whoo Hooo, welcome aboard. Never read that book, but think we can
                    direct you to easier ways to build a still. Talking about
                    Appalachian style stills, you might want to look at some of the
                    modern versions at: http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/ from TO
                    COLONEL WILSONS COPPER MOONSHINE STILLS. Some very pretty ones.

                    But, if you want to learn some designs and theory, the best site to
                    go here is:
                    http://homedistiller.org/

                    You will learn the various types and theory behind them - but takes
                    lots of reading. Have Fun.

                    Any questions, feel free to ask.

                    Vino es Veritas,
                    Jim.
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dirk Howard" <blackoven@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hi everyone. I am new to this list and new to the hobby of
                    distilling.
                    > My wife just bought me the book "Moonshine!" by Matthew B Rowley. I
                    > just finished reading it last night. It was a very entertaining
                    read.

                    > In the book, the author gives some plans for building an
                    > Appalachian-style pot still. It is a 6.75 gallon capacity boiler
                    > fabricated from copper sheet by using copper rivets and brazed with
                    > silver/phosphorous/copper alloy.
                    >
                    > I was wondering if anyone has built their own pot still from copper
                    > sheet?
                    >
                    > I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here and seeing just
                    what
                    > I can make at home.
                    >
                    > Dirk

                  • morganfield1
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 20 2:24 PM
                      Hi Dirk,

                      Welcome to the group. As you have read "Moonshine", I hope you like
                      reading, he he. A good start to see if this hobby is for you, is
                      www.homedistiller.org. It is a huge site, lots of info, and...
                      Pictures!! There are pics of all copper stills like you described,
                      also many other pot stills and other types of stills. More
                      importantly, almost every aspect of distilling is explained in detail
                      by both home distillers and large scale distillers. It may take days
                      to get thru the whole site, but it is worth it. One thing I will tell
                      you right off the bat, New Zealand is the only country in the world
                      where home distillation of alchohol is legal without a licence. I
                      don't mean to scare ya, just want you to know.

                      Tip one, Morgan

                      wrote:

                      > Hi everyone. I am new to this list and new to the hobby of
                      distilling.
                      > My wife just bought me the book "Moonshine!" by Matthew B Rowley. I
                      > just finished reading it last night. It was a very entertaining
                      read.

                      > In the book, the author gives some plans for building an
                      > Appalachian-style pot still. It is a 6.75 gallon capacity boiler
                      > fabricated from copper sheet by using copper rivets and brazed with
                      > silver/phosphorous/copper alloy.
                      >
                      > I was wondering if anyone has built their own pot still from copper
                      > sheet?
                      >
                      > I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here and seeing just
                      what
                      > I can make at home.
                      >
                      > Dirk

                    • rye_junkie
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 20 4:15 PM
                        I got my start in this about 10 months ago when my wife brought home
                        the same book. And as Morgan said , that was just the beginning of
                        alot of reading and I am still reading. The price of copper is so
                        high right now that you would spend a fortune just building the pot
                        and cap he lays out in the book. A fortune being close to 200.00.
                        And then depending on your skills fabricating it could cost double that.
                        My first still was a 6 gal SS stock pot with a salad bowl for a cap.
                        And then 1" copper tubing for a short column , elbowed to the arm and
                        gradually reduced to 1/2" OD to a liebig condensor. It did the job.
                        I am now on my fifth column ( I like to tinker) but am still adapting
                        them to that pot. As most of use advise, you should first decide
                        what you want to make. Corn Whiskey, Rum, Vodka/neutral spirits and
                        so on and then we can guide you to a design. Personally if you want
                        flexibility I would say you should study the BOKAKOB mini still
                        design. Opinions vary and there are many. But we all agree, Saftey
                        first, Have lots of fun, And ask questions if in doubt. Customer
                        service around here is pretty fast. I truly doubt if JamesonBeam
                        sleeps at all.

                        Mason Jar Dixon
                        I love the smell of an active ferment in the morning.

                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dirk Howard" <blackoven@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi everyone. I am new to this list and new to the hobby of
                        > distilling.
                        > > My wife just bought me the book "Moonshine!" by Matthew B Rowley. I
                        > > just finished reading it last night. It was a very entertaining
                        > read.
                        > >
                        > > In the book, the author gives some plans for building an
                        > > Appalachian-style pot still. It is a 6.75 gallon capacity boiler
                        > > fabricated from copper sheet by using copper rivets and brazed with
                        > > silver/phosphorous/copper alloy.
                        > >
                        > > I was wondering if anyone has built their own pot still from copper
                        > > sheet?
                        > >
                        > > I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here and seeing just
                        > what
                        > > I can make at home.
                        > >
                        > > Dirk

                      • daddyman00126
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 20 4:24 PM
                          A little behind each ear will make the day go by faster. Also you get
                          some strange looks. :)

                          The best for last
                          BILL1BURP

                          _____snip_____

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 20 4:48 PM

                            Just hope he aint a distillin Napalm - Apocalypse Now.  hehehe.

                            Jim.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 20 6:08 PM
                              Nope, but that would have been a good label for my first few runs. I
                              was wondering if anyone would recognize that quote.

                              Mason
                              Just racked a sugar wash.

                              <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                              > Just hope he aint a distillin Napalm - Apocalypse Now
                              > <http://www.everything2.com/title/Apocalypse%2520Now> . hehehe.
                            • Dirk Howard
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 21 3:09 PM
                                Mason,

                                I am mostly interested in spirits that carry a lot of the original
                                wash character (whiskey, rum and brandy would be some of my first
                                choices). A pot still seems like it would be one of the simplest to
                                make and operate.

                                I have looked at the PDA-1 from The Amphora Society or any of the
                                stainless steel distillers from Mile Hi Distilling. The bokakob
                                designs look like something to look at as well. In what ever still I
                                start with, I don't want to strip the spirits clean of their origins.

                                Metal fabrication shouldn't be too much of a problem, though I haven't
                                had much experience with stainless steel. The full-on copper still
                                from "Moonshine!" just seemed to have some level of simplistic appeal
                                to me. But what do I know? I haven't distilled drop one yet.

                                Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to learning a lot.

                                Dirk

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...>

                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 21 5:58 PM
                                  wrote:

                                  > Mason,
                                  >
                                  > I am mostly interested in spirits that carry a lot of the original
                                  > wash character (whiskey, rum and brandy would be some of my first
                                  > choices). A pot still seems like it would be one of the simplest to
                                  > make and operate.
                                  >
                                  > I have looked at the PDA-1 from The Amphora Society or any of the
                                  > stainless steel distillers from Mile Hi Distilling. The bokakob
                                  > designs look like something to look at as well. In what ever still I
                                  > start with, I don't want to strip the spirits clean of their origins.
                                  >
                                  > Metal fabrication shouldn't be too much of a problem, though I haven't
                                  > had much experience with stainless steel. The full-on copper still
                                  > from "Moonshine!" just seemed to have some level of simplistic appeal
                                  > to me. But what do I know? I haven't distilled drop one yet.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to learning a lot.
                                  >
                                  > Dirk

                                  Hello Again Dirk,
                                  The PDA-1 is for neutral spirits if I am not mistaken and will strip
                                  flavor. However I am not very familiar with it. The mile high stills
                                  will work for both whiskey and neutral if you get the dual purpose
                                  column option. I would recommend building your own. You will have a
                                  better understanding and appreciation of how this all works by
                                  building your own.

                                  Mason

                                  Mason
                                • potstill_at_45
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 21 6:08 PM
                                    wrote:

                                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dirk Howard" <blackoven@>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Mason,
                                    > >
                                    > > I am mostly interested in spirits that carry a lot of the original
                                    > > wash character (whiskey, rum and brandy would be some of my first
                                    > > choices). A pot still seems like it would be one of the simplest
                                    > > make and operate.
                                    > >
                                    > > I have looked at the PDA-1 from The Amphora Society or any of the
                                    > > stainless steel distillers from Mile Hi Distilling. The bokakob
                                    > > designs look like something to look at as well. In what ever
                                    still I
                                    > > start with, I don't want to strip the spirits clean of their
                                    origins.

                                    > > Metal fabrication shouldn't be too much of a problem, though I
                                    haven't
                                    > > had much experience with stainless steel. The full-on copper
                                    still
                                    > > from "Moonshine!" just seemed to have some level of simplistic
                                    appeal
                                    > > to me. But what do I know? I haven't distilled drop one yet.
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to learning a lot.
                                    > >
                                    > > Dirk
                                    >
                                    > Hello Dirk,
                                    > Potstill here, you can buy a reflux still and remove packing. That
                                    way you can have the best of both worlds. Though Mason has a point,I
                                    have a pride in the fact that I'm built my own for less than 40
                                    dollars though I'm adding improvements as I go.

                                  • olrgernr
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 5, 2011
                                      I am new this hobby, but have found myself planing in my head every spare moment. Guess I am trying to get back to my southern mountains roots. Anyway, I just got a miller half keg and got the ball valve and stem out. thinking about adding about 2' of 2 inch copper for the head using an easy flange and 2" triclamp to attach it to the keg.
                                      Does this sound like a reasonable beginning?
                                      can i use a rubber stopper in the top with a hole for a thermometer?